Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
So I just noticed elves mediate in camp rather then sleep. nice little detail there larian, hats off!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by BrianDavion
So I just noticed elves mediate in camp rather then sleep. nice little detail there larian, hats off!

If you are talking about Astarion, there's another reason why he doesn't sleep. In case you don't know, I don't want to spoil it.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna

If you are talking about Astarion, there's another reason why he doesn't sleep. In case you don't know, I don't want to spoil it.

It's a D&D thing, elves don't need to sleep.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Raflamir

Yes, I know but like I said. There's "another" reason he doesn't need to sleep. In case the OP doesn't know what else Astarion is besides an elf.

Yes, I know but like I said. There's "another" reason he doesn't need to sleep. In case the OP doesn't know what else Astarion is besides an elf.

If you play as an elf, you don't sleep the same as Astarion. So it's not his backstory for that :P.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by FatePeddler
[quote=Lady Avyna][quote=BrianDavion]

If you play as an elf, you don't sleep the same as Astarion. So it's not his backstory for that :P.

I do play as an elf but again I am not going to spoil anything for the OP, in case they don't know what else Astarion is. If you know what else Astarion is just like the other person that responded, that kind of creature also don't need to sleep. It goes hand in hand with Astarion also being an elf.

S
stranger
stranger
S

Most people can tell, by the extremely sharp teeth he has and the banner of the game showing blood running from his mouth. It is pretty obvious.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Spideyknight
[quote=Raflamir][quote=Lady Avyna][quote=BrianDavion]

Most people can tell, by the extremely sharp teeth he has and the banner of the game showing blood running from his mouth. It is pretty obvious.

That's why I have said over and over again "In case" the OP doesn't know. There may be people that could be oblivious to that. I'm actually trying to be nice to the OP as this is the general forum where we are to limit our spoilers.

W
veteran
veteran
W
If the OP didn’t already know, they definitely do now from you all talking around it so much. 😂

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Warlocke
If the OP didn’t already know, they definitely do now from you all talking around it so much. 😂

I was actually trying to be nice and give another reason as to why Astarion may not need sleep without trying to spoil anything but I got people trying to be all technical as If I didn't know elves don't need to sleep per DnD lore.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I was actually trying to be nice and give another reason as to why Astarion may not need sleep without trying to spoil anything but I got people trying to be all technical as If I didn't know elves don't need to sleep per DnD lore.

The fact he's a vampire is redundant in terms of him meditating instead of sleeping. First and foremost he is an elf and would rest that way regardless.
So there was no need for you to even bring it up in the first place.

Love and sausages xx
addict
addict
Originally Posted by 0Muttley0

The fact he's a vampire is redundant in terms of him meditating instead of sleeping. First and foremost he is an elf and would rest that way regardless.

Wow, you guys are a bunch of negative Nancy’s. The point of my statement is to point out that Astarion is not just an Elf but a Vampire now that you put it out in the open for the OP. Like I said for the hundredth million time, I was trying to give the OP a hint IN CASE they didn’t know he’s a vampire that there is another reason he doesn’t sleep but everyone and their momma wants to put in their two cents to something that is not that big of deal.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
[Linked Image]

Do people need a daily dose of arguing to get their minds ready for real life? It's amazing how some folk will create an argument out of thin air. I'm sure that in Real Life you would not be hanging onto someone's every word trying to cause conflict, so why go out of your way to do so when talking to people online?

Last edited by Sadurian; 19/10/20 08:08 AM.
C
stranger
stranger
C

Wow, you guys are a bunch of negative Nancy’s. The point of my statement is to point out that Astarion is not just an Elf but a Vampire now that you put it out in the open for the OP. Like I said for the hundredth million time, I was trying to give the OP a hint IN CASE they didn’t know he’s a vampire that there is another reason he doesn’t sleep but everyone and their momma wants to put in their two cents to something that is not that big of deal.

Vampires need to sleep in D&D so you pointed it out for no reason.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sadurian
[Linked Image]

Do people need a daily dose of arguing to get their minds ready for real life? It's amazing how some folk will create an argument out of thin air. I'm sure that in Real Life you would not be hanging onto someone's every word trying to cause conflict, so why go out of your way to do so when talking to people online?

I have actually been trying to figure that out. Everyone seems to be coming at me for trying to give the OP a hint about Astarion not just being an elf. I avoided using the word Vampire until the last commenter forced it out. Not everyone that play's BG3 is a DnD player. Some of us are new to this and when you have some fanatics coming at you, it discourages you. Playing video games or even table top games shouldn't be like that. It's supposed to be fun.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by ChickenNoodle
[quote=Lady Avyna][quote=Warlocke]If the OP didn’t already know, they definitely do now from you all talking around it so much. 😂

Vampires need to sleep in D&D so you pointed it out for no reason.

Not everyone that plays video games based on DnD know the tabletop DnD.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yea, it was a nice touch... no mechanical advantage, though. In pnp, Elves hold trance, which only takes 4 hours, but gives them the same benefits as when a another race sleeps for 8. Also: I doubt Astarion would have to rest at all, since he no longer is restricted to only being active at night... keeping up appearances, I guess.

enthusiast
enthusiast
[Linked Image]

I have actually been trying to figure that out. Everyone seems to be coming at me for trying to give the OP a hint about Astarion not just being an elf. I avoided using the word Vampire until the last commenter forced it out. Not everyone that play's BG3 is a DnD player. Some of us are new to this and when you have some fanatics coming at you, it discourages you. Playing video games or even table top games shouldn't be like that. It's supposed to be fun.

The point some of us are trying to make is that you didn't need to even bring the subject up. You go on about not wanting to do spoilers but did precisely that by revealing that Astarion was more than just an elf. The fact you were also incorrect about vampires not needing sleep, and the fact elves rest that way regardless further compounds the whole lack of necessity of you even mentioning it. Like it or not you gave out a spoiler that Astarion was something more than an elf. If we are to go on your 'assumption' that the OP might have been completely clueless to that fact, then your behaviour is actually pretty selfish.

And no this isn't me being nasty or argumentative. It is just being blunt and direct and pointing out how you acted poorly in revealing a spoiler.

Love and sausages xx
addict
addict
[Linked Image]

The point some of us are trying to make is that you didn't need to even bring the subject up. You go on about not wanting to do spoilers but did precisely that by revealing that Astarion was more than just an elf. The fact you were also incorrect about vampires not needing sleep, and the fact elves rest that way regardless further compounds the whole lack of necessity of you even mentioning it. Like it or not you gave out a spoiler that Astarion was something more than an elf. If we are to go on your 'assumption' that the OP might have been completely clueless to that fact, then your behaviour is actually pretty selfish.

And no this isn't me being nasty or argumentative. It is just being blunt and direct and pointing out how you acted poorly in revealing a spoiler.

First of all, not every vampire sleeps. I don't know how they are in Dungeons and Dragons as I am new to that but according to other vampire lores, not every vampire sleeps. That depends on who tells the story. Second, in my initial response I never said that Astarion was something else. I said that there was another reason why, thereby not spoiling anything. The problem is that you and others have seen my initial post criticized me by mentioning that's what elves do in DnD and I had to constantly defend myself. Like I said, NOT everyone that plays a video game based on DnD knows anything about DnD. Some of us can be completely new to this, so don't get all worked up for some of us making a comment. Also, please refrain from your condescending tone. That's completely unnecessary.

Last edited by Lady Avyna; 19/10/20 09:54 AM.
old hand
old hand
Astsrion is a vampire? Oh wow, I just absolutely couldn't tell that, never mind that this games advertising material straight up says that he's a 'vampire spawn'.

Like, who even knew???

Like I also had no clue when he got killed by standing in a river, like seriously Larion you made such a bug that only one of my characters gets killed by running water?

So like does anyone also know that Shadowheart is a Cleric of Shar? And that wyll is a Warlock who made a deal with the devil? You know like all the things that are literally written in every bit of source material about this game as well as it actually saying those things in their character panels?

Wow, I never knew!!! (Do I even need a /S?).

Next thing you'll be telling me is that water is wet.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 19/10/20 09:57 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard