Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Nah I don't find Wyll intolerable. But there are 2 very good reasons as to why I personally do not find him to be so:
A) He dies in the first battle you see him in because he is so useless.
B) If he survives I don't take him along because he is so useless.

I don't particularly like any of the characters in BG3 so far but that's just up to personal preference. They either come off as a bit too whiny, bit too arrogant or way too edgy (I swear I can imagine Shadowheart crossing her arms, pouting and going "UGH FINE I guess we'll go do the stupid thing!" like some angsty teen.) even after getting to know them best you can in the early access I'd say... yeah Shadowheart is the worst by far. Probably intentional though.

apprentice
apprentice
What? Wyll the misser?...nah Love 'im!

P
stranger
stranger
P
Wyll is arrogant? Compared to everyone else?

Gale condescends to you massively, especially on first meeting.
Shadowheart knows what's best with absolute certainty in terms of Gith and (not) helping others.
Lae'zel demands you follow her every order and dresses you down if you don't.
Astarion constantly talks about how easy it would be to kill you.

Wyll is no more or less arrogant overall than any of the others. He just has a particular type of hyperbole he employs to jazz up his adventures. He's kind of bard-like in that respect. But he's smart, kind, and recognizes his own flaws. He's a good guy and a good character in my opinion.

journeyman
journeyman
I didn'tr see Gale as condescending, I saw Gale as launching into something that included a ton of technical language only to realize "........ you don't really understand a word of what I'm saying right sorry" it's something ANYONE in a technical profession has experianced. hell It's something I've experianced with my family if hobby stuff comes up.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost
He just seems to be an arrogant blowhard; the other characters are at least interesting but all this guy is a fake a hero; is there anything redeemable about him?

I agree that he seems arrogant. I also can't seem to quite figure him out but I definitely feel like he has a few skeletons in his closet and he's not being completely honest.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Well I guess we'll all feel differently about the companions, but singling out Wyll specifically as having intolerable arrogance in a cast that includes Lae'zel, Shadowheart and Astarion is wild to me. And that's before you learn more about Wyll and see that his bravado is not all that it seems.

Shadowheart gives you crap for just opening a door after hearing noises from the inside, because wHaT iF tHeRe'S dAnGeR like I didn't just demolish a whole goblin camp. Like girl shutup.

Meanwhile even if you don't take Wyll...
to the goblin camp when it's his plan and defeating the leaders is his goal, he lets you know that he's disappointed but glad you still got the job done. Even congratulates you on your efforts at the party.

So all in all, Wyll is an actual bro and I really look forward to seeing where his personal story leads.

W
veteran
veteran
W
I love Wyll. He is the first chaotic neutral character I have seen done with nuance.

And if you think Wyll isn’t chaotic neutral:

when given the chance he tortures an innocent man for information on where to find his patron. This is chaotic neutral. It’s not just an alignment for lunatics, but also somebody’s whose sense of morality is entirely contingent. Wyll will teach refugee children self defense one day (especially when he knows others are watching him do it) but kill a foe whom surrenders or torture an innocent man the next.

This is why Wyll is my favorite companion so far.

Last edited by Warlocke; 19/10/20 05:46 AM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Warlocke
I love Wyll. He is the first chaotic neutral character I have seen done with nuance.

when given the chance he tortures an innocent man for information on where to find his patron. This is chaotic neutral. It’s not just an alignment for lunatics, but also somebody’s whose sense of morality is entirely contingent. Wyll will teach refugee children self defense one day (especially when he knows others are watching him do it) but kill a foe whom surrenders or torture an innocent man the next.

Wait, where did he torture someone? It does not make sense for him to be CN when his patron is clearly LE. That is almost oppositional in terms of alignment. I am not sure what about any of that is CN; it definitely is not good but it could just as well be N(E) or even LE in some context

Last edited by Hoarfrost; 19/10/20 08:45 AM.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
He is the companion I like the most. Warlocks, unlike clerics, do not need to see eye to eye with their patron. This is the whole idea of the class. A person that made a deal to gain power knowing full well (most of the time) where the power is coming from.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost

Wait, where did he torture someone? It does not make sense for him to be CN when his patron is clearly LE. That is almost oppositional in terms of alignment. I am not sure what about any of that is CN; it definitely is not good but it could just as well be N(E) or even LE in some context

If you let him, Wyll will do what Spike ask of him to get information...and that is torturing a man.

He has no ethic and will always take the shortest path to his goal. I put him into NE personally.

Last edited by azarhal; 19/10/20 01:08 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
I like Wyll and Laezel for their personalities. Laezel is a joy to be around because she's always angry for no reason. Kind of like your personal George Costanza. And her reactions to being told to shut up and get back in line are great. I also like how Astarion is the embodiment of everything that is wrong in the world. His dialogue, voice acting, hair, face, and clothing makes me wish for an option to come up to him and punch him in the face just for existing. Same with Shadowheart who looks like an escaped circus clown. The wizard companion seems pretty typical, though. In fact, he is so bland that I can't even think of his name haha. To be fair, I only played for a little bit and these are just my initial impressions.

Ehh... iirc, his first response of the "offer" to torture is like "No way!". There is a following option where you can push him to do it. Seems like at that point and given his first response the onus lies more on you. Given what I have seen with his approval of dialog choices regarding helping people and being nice, I would put him solidly in chaotic good.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Nezix

Ehh... iirc, his first response of the "offer" to torture is like "No way!". There is a following option where you can push him to do it. Seems like at that point and given his first response the onus lies more on you. Given what I have seen with his approval of dialog choices regarding helping people and being nice, I would put him solidly in chaotic good.

A chaotic good character wouldn’t be persuaded into torturing an innocent person. Wyll has a sense of morality, but he is driven by ego and is willing to set aside his morals in the right circumstances. He is morally inconsistent, and this is chaotic neutral.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Well, if you say a warlock is not very good, I don't know what is. From level 3, they are just completely OP. And besides, I find Wyll story the most appealing so far. Want to know who this Mizora is.

In my second playthrough, I have 2 warlocks in my party. I don't even bother going stealth against bosses lol.

Last edited by Nyanko; 19/10/20 03:40 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

I believe the technical term is Chaotic Nuts and that is definitely his alignment despite his patron. When a given situation arises he's just as likely to do good or evil.

I have not given Wyll a chance, I'm playing a warlock so I see no point in having him in my party, and unfortunately, I get progressively less interested in characters that are not in my party.

That and fiendlock is the most uninteresting pact for my taste. That said, he seemed alright during his introduction and the few times I talked to him.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Goldberry
I have not given Wyll a chance, I'm playing a warlock so I see no point in having him in my party, and unfortunately, I get progressively less interested in characters that are not in my party.

That and fiendlock is the most uninteresting pact for my taste. That said, he seemed alright during his introduction and the few times I talked to him.

I played Wyll with a custom warlock and had a blast. Specifically, an eldritch blast. Several, actually. All day every day. It was pretty fun being able to bounce opponents around with two warlocks.

Originally Posted by Goldberry

I played Wyll with a custom warlock and had a blast. Specifically, an eldritch blast. Several, actually. All day every day. It was pretty fun being able to bounce opponents around with two warlocks.

Hahaha, that's... Kind of a good point, actually. I do have a lot of fun with pushing people off high grounds with Eldritch blast. Or against the wall. Or each other. When in doubt; Eldritch blast.

veteran
veteran
The most intolerable thing about Wyll is his build/stat distribution.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
It's IMOEN.

.i.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard