Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by Slapstick
They actually made a pretty good effort to accommodate this with DOS2. I've seen some pretty stellar custom maps, and the DM mode is really good. However, I would wager that it sadly saw very little use. It has to be _very_ user friendly to achieve any sort of momentum, and it also needs to support persistent worlds IMO. Todays games just don't lend itself to user friendly module creation that well. Map design alone is something that was reasonably easy in NWN1, but jump ahead to NWN2 it became a lot harder. Modules were easier to make in NWN1 and the current online community is bigger for NWN1 than for NWN2 for just this reason. I'm pretty sure it would be much much harder to do in this engine.

My problem with DOS2's toolset is that you couldn't actually make single-player adventures, like in NWN or Shadowrun Returns. You could only make things that required a live DM playing in real time with a group of live players. You couldn't write dialogues and set quest triggers and such. So for my purposes, it was useless. I want to author adventures that people can just download and play on their own. (Or play cooperatively with their friends, whatever.)

Correct. Custom modules/campaigns. Even warcraft 3 had them, before Blizzard RUINED EVERYTHING with Reforged-

stranger
stranger
The biggest issue with NWN and NWN2 which I believe may be why we do not get more games like them is the inability to monetize additional content. Both communities, while small are still very much alive and active with Persistent Worlds, but the simple fact is that all of this free content is just giving consumers of the medium a reason not to buy the next thing that comes out. I wonder if the prevalence of games like Fortnite whereby Epic Games has monetized contributions of private "content creators" gives Larian the ability to provide a platform to allow for content creation (single player mods, persistent worlds, and simpler stuff like UI changes, tactical/strategic (aka difficulty) mods, etc.)? If Larian were to find a way to have some kind of money sharing with folks that create custom mods then perhaps having a full on modding community for this and other RPG's would be a more popular gaming offer.

stranger
stranger
Honestly, I would pay full price for modules like Curse of Strahd/Horde of the Dragon Queen etc. created in BG3.

Like the
swamp in act 1 gave off a huge Barovia vibe

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by chad878262
The biggest issue with NWN and NWN2 which I believe may be why we do not get more games like them is the inability to monetize additional content. Both communities, while small are still very much alive and active with Persistent Worlds, but the simple fact is that all of this free content is just giving consumers of the medium a reason not to buy the next thing that comes out. I wonder if the prevalence of games like Fortnite whereby Epic Games has monetized contributions of private "content creators" gives Larian the ability to provide a platform to allow for content creation (single player mods, persistent worlds, and simpler stuff like UI changes, tactical/strategic (aka difficulty) mods, etc.)? If Larian were to find a way to have some kind of money sharing with folks that create custom mods then perhaps having a full on modding community for this and other RPG's would be a more popular gaming offer.

I think they didn't monetize a bunch of stuff with NWN just because back then, microtransactions was not really a part of gaming. Now though, with microtransactions being the Status Quo, they could monetize the crap out of additional chunks of content. Even if modders are making content for free, the developers could make better-looking, shinier, more polished stuff and it would sell. Just calling something an "official" add-on or module would automatically make it more appealing to a lot of people than just amateur mods. They could sell asset packs, new races/classes/subclasses, their own "official" adventures, cosmetic options for characters, and like I mentioned before, rent out servers for persistent worlds. With how huge D&D is right now, if a true, modern, user-friendly, graphically attractive version of the NWN toolset and DM client came out, it would probably be even more popular than the original NWN was.

veteran
veteran

I think they didn't monetize a bunch of stuff with NWN just because back then, microtransactions was not really a part of gaming. Now though, with microtransactions being the Status Quo, they could monetize the crap out of additional chunks of content. Even if modders are making content for free, the developers could make better-looking, shinier, more polished stuff and it would sell. Just calling something an "official" add-on or module would automatically make it more appealing to a lot of people than just amateur mods. They could sell asset packs, new races/classes/subclasses, their own "official" adventures, cosmetic options for characters, and like I mentioned before, rent out servers for persistent worlds. With how huge D&D is right now, if a true, modern, user-friendly, graphically attractive version of the NWN toolset and DM client came out, it would probably be even more popular than the original NWN was.

Bethesda tried that.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

Bethesda tried that.

Bethesda is kind of shit, though.

addict
addict
The base game is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The mods (and possible DLCs) are where it is really at. I am almost certain I would buy many, many modules for $15 or so if Larian developed and sold them. Let's hope the future is bright.

enthusiast
enthusiast
DM mode, fan modules and the ability for those with the patience and skills to do things like add additional sub classes that Larian don't manage to do would be great.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

Bethesda tried that.

In fairness, a lot of mod content is significantly better than official stuff, NWNs best content came from the DLA team, it was so good Bioware hired a bunch of them and a lot got made official. Similarly, a lot of mod content for the elderscrolls games is also significantly better quality than official stuff. it's just that for everything of that quality, you'll have hundreds of things that really aren't that great.

With luck, we'll see people look to implement missing content for BG3 in the same way we have for Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

P
OP Offline
P
[quote=chad878262]

Yes this. Basically: shut up and take my money.

S
stranger
stranger
S

Glad to read OP and some posts like this, who has the same idea with me. I also wrote
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=705609&Searchpage=1&Main=92331&Words=%2Bmodding&Search=true#Post705609
Such post about NWN style "DM mod" modding tool.

Let's pray WotC and Larian both are convinced and agreed to develop such tools, and make a good model to protect their copyright and make more $$$. This is win win for players, fans, and developers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard