Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
veteran
veteran
I don't usually say it but I think git gud is a proper response here. Lighting has a lot of influence on hit success, as well as hight and buffs. My usual strategy of go high and bless does the job most of the times. And I'm this guy who plays these games for the story, normal mode at best

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Eddiar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Abits
I don't usually say it but I think git gud is a proper response here. Lighting has a lot of influence on hit success, as well as hight and buffs. My usual strategy of go high and bless does the job most of the times. And I'm this guy who plays these games for the story, normal mode at best

I was outside.
On the second level if temple of Selune.

With my party + 1 arch druid we killed everyone in the courtyard.
My party wiped when 2 drunk bugbears missed/dodged every attack in four rounds.

And they of course hit every attack.

This is beyond "git gud".

old hand
old hand
In my current game, during the fight outside the druid camp, the Goblins missed the three NPS at the gate consistently for three turns. For the first time in multiple playthroughs all three of them survived. In a couple of others they all died, and once Wyll died as well.

Confirmation bias would lead to only looking at the times they all died and think that the odds were always against you, and you wouldn't notice, or at least care to notice when all the dice rolls went in your favour like when everyone survives.

The point is that everytime the outcome is randomised, and people will have a tendency to only notice negative results.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 19/10/20 02:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eddiar
Originally Posted by Abits

I was outside.
On the second level if temple of Selune.

With my party + 1 arch druid we killed everyone in the courtyard.
My party wiped when 2 drunk bugbears missed/dodged every attack in four rounds.

And they of course hit every attack.

This is beyond "git gud".

It's possible I guess. With RNG games even the best players can lose. It remains me of fire emblem playthroughs I see sometimes. You can play fire emblem slowly and meticulously but still be obliterated by RNG. It's rare, but it happens. I can only say that from my experience I never died and felt "damn I did everything right and still lost" even though sometimes it's a possibility.

Regardless, I'm sure the game will go through many balancing until release

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
My confirmation bias goes the opposite way ... I keep buying lottery tickets even though I have never won more than $4. I know there is a lucky ticket out there, I have just got to try harder.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Gaidax
Originally Posted by Tav3245234325325
I dont think the RNG is flawed here. I normally sense that if it would be skewed big way.

But in computer terms RNG doesnt exist. Its often generated by an algorithm using the computers clock.

It wouldnt be damaging if the Larian showed the algorithm doing the RNG and give us access to it so we can RNG thousands of times and generate spread sheets.

Sometimes there are little errors like for example rounding wrong.

to preserve symmetries - 2,5 rounded to 1 significance is for example 2 - not 3.

"Rounding to the nearest integer
Rounding a number x to the nearest integer requires some tie-breaking rule for those cases when x is exactly half-way between two integers — that is, when the fraction part of x is exactly 0.5.

If it were not for the 0.5 fractional parts, the round-off errors introduced by the round to nearest method would be symmetric: for every fraction that gets rounded down (such as 0.268), there is a complementary fraction (namely, 0.732) that gets rounded up by the same amount.

When rounding a large set of fixed-point numbers with uniformly distributed fractional parts, the rounding errors by all values, with the omission of those having 0.5 fractional part, would statistically compensate each other. This means that the expected (average) value of the rounded numbers is equal to the expected value of the original numbers when we remove numbers with fractional part 0.5 from the set.

In practice, floating-point numbers are typically used, which have even more computational nuances because they are not equally spaced."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounding

children often learn wrong rounding in school

Frankly, this puts a smile on my face.

I can assure you Larian does not recreate a bicycle, they are also not incompetent and don't know how to properly generate random value in their games. It's not some indie studio getting its feet wet with first game, they don't need random forum poster teaching them how naive random number generators, like those based on internal clock work.

It's ok, you can let them handle this.

Sry if it didnt come across, english isnt my native language. I didnt want to belittle the developers.

But I come from a scientific background and checking each others results / methods is a standard routine and has nothing to do with emotions.

I think the game is great and showing us the algorithm /or giving us access to the dice roll function would only prove that the RNG is correct and people wouldnt have to rely on subjective observations.

Last edited by Tav3245234325325; 19/10/20 02:15 PM.
Eddiar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
In my current game, during the fight outside the druid camp, the Goblins missed the three NPS at the gate consistently for three turns. For the first time in multiple playthroughs all three of them survived. In a couple of others they all died, and once Wyll died as well.

Confirmation bias would lead to only looking at the times they all died and think that the odds were always against you, and you wouldn't notice, or at least care to notice when all the dice rolls went in your favour like when everyone survives.

The point is that everytime the outcome is randomised, and people will have a tendency to only notice negative results.

The problem is the probability of missing every attack for several rounds.
Either we are not seeing something or there is a bug.

Which for an EA is very very likely.
Maybe there is a spell or set of circumstances that cause 80% hit rate drop to 15% without the player ever knowing it.

veteran
veteran
There is something that is a potential problem I came across, sometime, the specific point you press with your mouse gives bad chance, and if you click on a different point on the same enemy with the same attack you get much better one.

P
stranger
stranger
P
+1 with the OP

I have the same experience, i miss alot and enemies miss very rarely, even in my tank.

When i must do just 7 or more, and must F5 3 times, its a frustration. if was so rarely, ok its the RNG, but its very very common to miss a action / speech. I dont know if Larian see the Statistic of roll, but for me, the game is named "Baldur's F5 Gate F8"

journeyman
journeyman
30% I understand.
50% I also understand.
But 75% and over? Really?

And how do you miss with the guy standing right in front of you? Why not just say dodge? That would make me feel a little better.

You realise that with a 99% chance to hit, there is still a 1% chance you will miss, right? Now compare 99% to 75% smile

.i.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Phomane
+1 with the OP

I have the same experience, i miss alot and enemies miss very rarely, even in my tank.

When i must do just 7 or more, and must F5 3 times, its a frustration. if was so rarely, ok its the RNG, but its very very common to miss a action / speech. I dont know if Larian see the Statistic of roll, but for me, the game is named "Baldur's F5 Gate F8"

Are you telling me that you beat BG1 and 2 without ever once having had to reload?

If you are reloading for every single dice roll then that is your choice.

If you are actually reloading only after failing an encounter, that would be on par with the same experience from the first two games.

A 75% chance to hit is still 25 times more likely to miss than a 99% chance to hit.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 19/10/20 02:50 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Zarna
Dice rolling tends to do this. Good thing about it is that enemies have the same string of bad luck that we do. Had so many fights where they all missed for a whole round.

I had this happen, and it was so bad that the main mob rage quit the fight.

The Phase Spider Matriarch missed so many times that she rage quit the fight. She seriously teleported out of visual range, and when my party cleared the adds and the one spider we had left, combat ended, with her no where to be seen.

Eddiar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by robertthebard
Originally Posted by Zarna
Dice rolling tends to do this. Good thing about it is that enemies have the same string of bad luck that we do. Had so many fights where they all missed for a whole round.

I had this happen, and it was so bad that the main mob rage quit the fight.

The Phase Spider Matriarch missed so many times that she rage quit the fight. She seriously teleported out of visual range, and when my party cleared the adds and the one spider we had left, combat ended, with her no where to be seen.

She phased to the furthest corner of the cave. Just head towards the exit, she will probably be at the second floor of the cave.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Random number generation can be streaky sometimes.It is always the same probability for every single roll. Example: You roll 4, 4, 4. Now our feeling tells us it will be very unlikely that there will be another 4. In fact it tells us that it should be time to roll over 10 by now! But your next roll does not care about about history. Every possible streak with the same length is just as likely as any other. This may feel unfair sometimes, but it is in fact nothing more than our perception.
If you really want to show that there is something wrong, make a video with a save file and load it 100 times or so and count hits against the chance of hitting.

In addition to people talking about 100% chances: there are none in DnD. Yes, BG3 sometimes says 100%, but this is acutally 99,6% (0,4% is the likelihood of 2d20 where you roll a 1 both times).

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
30% I understand.
50% I also understand.
But 75% and over? Really?

And how do you miss with the guy standing right in front of you? Why not just say dodge? That would make me feel a little better.

Yes, this can be very frustrating. Another thing that was frustrating to me that I didn't know you can get was the Brain companion at the very beginning while you are on the ship. I managed to roll all high numbers and recruited it BUT my game glitched and crashed BEFORE I could save. When I tried to do it again, I kept rolling low numbers over and over and over again until I gave up and move on. That was soooooo frustrating. I was very upset that I missed the chance of getting it as an extra companion on the ship.

Greetings,
Truth is it does not follow off the ship frown So you did not miss much if that is a consolation. Getting it or not has no impact all in all, but it helps a bit in the three tutorial fights.

Last edited by Baraz; 19/10/20 03:27 PM.
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
i posted about this days ago.
i feel that larian has coded a rigged d20 thats biased vs players.

most rolls i see are 1-4. this is by far the most commonly rolled algorithm for players.

and the creating advantage in the game is terrible too.
advantage is primarily created by height advantage .

which makes automatically makes people who enjoy melee combat, always disadvantaged.

the game pigeon holes you to gsin higher ground and use ranged dps to kill.

and that Lariam, sucks.

journeyman
journeyman
I got a critical miss on 98% chance to hit, but that still does mean that theres a 2% chance to miss and that's what happened.

RNG is RNG. Unless it says 100%, don't expect not to fail.

Think I actually failed on a 100% before. Assuming they're following the rules then there will always be a 5% chance to miss - if you roll a 1 its an automatic miss regardless of how good your bonus is.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Eireson
I got a critical miss on 98% chance to hit, but that still does mean that theres a 2% chance to miss and that's what happened.

RNG is RNG. Unless it says 100%, don't expect not to fail.

Think I actually failed on a 100% before. Assuming they're following the rules then there will always be a 5% chance to miss - if you roll a 1 its an automatic miss regardless of how good your bonus is.

You didn't fail you misclicked on the ground.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Re different experiences/interpretations of the RNG, I suppose it is remotely possible that there are several strategies being employed depending on the player to assess reactions to them. But this is purely conjecture on my part and I am absolutely not speaking for Larian: I have no idea what they would do, only what I would do.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
I don't think they are loading the dice. My complaint is bloated HP and stats for your encounters. In doing this a miss at 75% feels really bad when you're facing down a level 4 or 5 with 2x 3x the hp that you have. 3-4 higher AC and a Gith fighter who never misses. Goblins with high AC but you never find armor on them.

So my thought was (at least about the dice rolling) Somehow their *might* be a visual bug on my chance to hit. But I do think there is an issue with melee fighting atm. To easy to disengage, just walk behind your target. Even if you're face to face with them, no attack of opportunity when you or they just reposition behind you to get a higher % to hit.

At first playthrough, I thought, jesus this game is very hard. But once you start cheesing the environment, which this game clearly wants you to on ANY hard fight, it went from hard, to stupid easy. I dislike that more than missing 2 3 times with a 75% chance to hit.

IDK, overall thoughts, they are not loading the dice. We just can't see how many disadvantages we have when we roll.

OR they could have done this.
https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2014/07/12/dnd-5e-advantage-disadvantage-probability/

Last edited by Mezbarrena; 19/10/20 04:19 PM.
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard