Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by KingTiki

I know what you mean, but its still kinda funny.

I knew when I was writing that, that it read weird :P

You always come back to "you can beat it by just following these steps". But it still isnt the point that you can beat it. The point is, that is not balanced in a way that makes all play styles equally viable. This is something that 5e is good at. Not perfect, but really good. There are ups and downs, and the later levels get a little whacky, but the balance between levels 5 to ~12-15 is good. And that class balance is held alive by things like bounded accuracy, saves, AC and concentration.

Here is the fundamental difference between you and me I think. I do not believe that all styles of gameplay should be equally viable. In a tabletop game, if a group of level 1 adventurers attacked a dragon head on, would the GM have them win the fight? More likely the GM would have them all die a horrible death. Imo, some approaches to combat should be doomed to fail horribly. The thrill of overcoming all the failed attempts where tactics were insufficient for the fight is part of what makes challenging battles enjoyable to me.

And those things get positively broken by unavoidable damage through surfaces. Look at the mighty firaball. 20 foot radius of pure fire carnage. Even here you get a save to avoid at least the full force of it, while some classes even can avoid it completely. Not even the mighty magic missile spell, a spell that is by design always hitting is unavoidable (hello shield spell).

Then adjust them, allow saves against the damage, limit them to certain items or even as you pointed out below, the "create bonfire" spell. Nobody here is saying surfaces have to remain exactly as they are, I am just saying I don't want them gone.

Why would anyone learn the Create Bonfire spell? It is just a strictly worse option, when I just can buy some firebombs, that cant be avoided and dont require my concentration (not that concentration would be up for longer than 1 round anyway). These things actively invalidate spells and effects that 5e already brings zu the table. But 5e does it better.

Homogeneous balance is balance of the worst kind. It removes all of the flavor from a setting.

Originally Posted by Sharp

Here is the fundamental difference between you and me I think. I do not believe that all styles of gameplay should be equally viable. In a tabletop game, if a group of level 1 adventurers attacked a dragon head on, would the GM have them win the fight? More likely the GM would have them all die a horrible death. Imo, some approaches to combat should be doomed to fail horribly. The thrill of overcoming all the failed attempts where tactics were insufficient for the fight is part of what makes challenging battles enjoyable to me.

That is not what I am saying. I agree that there should be unwinnable encounters and strategies. If we piss of a dragon at lvl 1 we deserve to die. But if we score strategies there should be different strategies that are really great to win one specific encounter and also some that are really bad. But not 1 that is really great, some that are so-and-so and a few that are really screwed. Variety is king, as you yourself later admit wink

Then adjust them, allow saves against the damage, limit them to certain items or even as you pointed out below, the "create bonfire" spell. Nobody here is saying surfaces have to remain exactly as they are, I am just saying I don't want them gone.

That is what I am arguing for. And tbh, most others, too. When I look here or on reddit, most people argue that the surfaces need to be redesigned. It is just that:
1. not the majority of encounters needs them, make them special
2. they should some from things that are already in the rules.

Incidentally the surfaces that work like in 5e do feel like the better ones. Web for example is pretty fine:
- you get a save every round
- you only lose movement is lost
- you can try to break the enemies concentration to lose it, too
- the enemies can sacrifice the web for a round of AoE fire

See, how great that works? You actually have options here that are more interesting as "better not walk in stuff", "Better sneak into position before combat starts". Also the web fire is more interesting as even the enemy has to calculate if restricting movement is better or doing a little bit AoE. All around this works so much better. A Bonfire can create similar scenarios, where you block doors with it for example.

Homogeneous balance is balance of the worst kind. It removes all of the flavor from a setting.

Depends. Not everyone should be as good in all things, I agree. But the overall things that someone is good in should be balanced. If not you just create strictly worse options, which are also rarely fun.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Sharp

I know what you mean, but its still kinda funny.

I knew when I was writing that, that it read weird :P

You always come back to "you can beat it by just following these steps". But it still isnt the point that you can beat it. The point is, that is not balanced in a way that makes all play styles equally viable. This is something that 5e is good at. Not perfect, but really good. There are ups and downs, and the later levels get a little whacky, but the balance between levels 5 to ~12-15 is good. And that class balance is held alive by things like bounded accuracy, saves, AC and concentration.

And those things get positively broken by unavoidable damage through surfaces. Look at the mighty firaball. 20 foot radius of pure fire carnage. Even here you get a save to avoid at least the full force of it, while some classes even can avoid it completely. Not even the mighty magic missile spell, a spell that is by design always hitting is unavoidable (hello shield spell).

Why would anyone learn the Create Bonfire spell? It is just a strictly worse option, when I just can buy some firebombs, that cant be avoided and dont require my concentration (not that concentration would be up for longer than 1 round anyway). These things actively invalidate spells and effects that 5e already brings zu the table. But 5e does it better.

Yes, more and more of the system will need to be redesigned around Larian's porting of divinity content to this game

or we could skip rebalancing one of the most balanced and well received tabletop combat systems and keep as close to it as is reasonable, deviating only when it's more fun or for practicality

Create Bonfire is an incomparable cantrip to others, it's worse for damage, but it's the only cantrip that's able to set things on fire and burn them down - and its function is exceeded by common consumables. 5e already has flammable consumables, they burn for 2 rounds and do exactly 5 damage a round. How about we try sticking to the ruleset they picked up and see how it works out?

Why should every combat be a goddamned michael bay battle

Last edited by override367; 19/10/20 04:12 PM.
veteran
veteran

I'm not going to requote the whole thing, but I agree with all of this.

Last edited by Stabbey; 19/10/20 04:14 PM. Reason: don't need to quote whole thing
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Cowoline
+1 to the OP's statement. If you want 100% accuracy then make your own D&D campaign instead of having unrealistic expectations to a video game.

Oh come on, it's not an unrealistic expection, there are literally mods on the nexus that go along way towards what we're asking for

How is it unrealistic?

veteran
veteran
Eh what can you do. People are passionate about different stuff. I don't envy Larian on that regard

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Argonaut

While I agree with your sentiment and find your reasoning to be sound the last part caught my eye. Homogenization should not be a goal and it is a problem in 5e and generally there should be clear cut reasons as to why one source is superior to another in certain regards. While I don't think perfect balance is ideal I would prefer that the best choices are tied to classes and character while consumables can offer you alternatives not otherwise available to your selected party or have niche benefits.

I dont really feel that classes are not distinct enough. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. But they are balanced in a way which is not over all favoring one playstyle or class over all the others. Perfect balance is pretty much not possible, but good balance with some specialties and fun party interactions is a great thing. What are the problems you see with 5e? I only have 5e and some Pathfinder experience.

I don't think 5e is too bad and my main gripe with it is that the specializations are not effective enough. For example battle master should have been focused on giving fighters battlefield control rather than being optimal for damage. Champion should give you more social options etc.

In the case of this game thought take surface effects for example. They can be caused by consumables and spells and abilities but this homogenization makes them feel samey and puts consumables on a much closer tier to spells and abilities which is never a good thing. I wouldn't have even batted an eye if they added surface effects sparingly in order to boost some otherwise underpowered abilities or racial traits that lack an oomph to them. In terms of the classes take the warlock class. They are capable of being a party face while performing exceedingly well in combat as well as having options for utility and battlefield control. Compare them to every other class in the game. This is a problem that exists in 5e as well mind you. I'd like to go on more about this but due to it being EA there is too much missing and too much underdeveloped to really be sure yet.

Last edited by Argonaut; 19/10/20 04:23 PM.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L

Depends. Not everyone should be as good in all things, I agree. But the overall things that someone is good in should be balanced. If not you just create strictly worse options, which are also rarely fun.

If there is a meta for something then everything else leaning in that direction that isn't meta is strictly a worse option. That being the case, there are plenty of examples where people have fun despite playing strictly inferior choices.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
We can already see the changes Larian had to make, goblins have 3 times the hp and half the AC, to accommodate surfaces, and to accommodate their ridiculous height 3:1 advantage system

They're going to have to rebalance concentration as a result as well, which will rebalance concentration spells, which will...

this is just going to be a spiral of them gutting the system they were given to use, and it's going to be unrecognizable by launch (battles already feel more like Divinity than D&D, the game really wants you to just shit fire everywhere and burn your enemies out)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by override367
We can already see the changes Larian had to make, goblins have 3 times the hp and half the AC, to accommodate surfaces, and to accommodate their ridiculous height 3:1 advantage system

They're going to have to rebalance concentration as a result as well, which will rebalance concentration spells, which will...

this is just going to be a spiral of them gutting the system they were given to use, and it's going to be unrecognizable by launch (battles already feel more like Divinity than D&D, the game really wants you to just shit fire everywhere and burn your enemies out)

I think the goblin changes were also made so you could fight in smaller numbers

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L

You're not really being smart about this are you?

You know Larian has to balance for multiple things and there are some things that 5e is not good with and some things that 5e is like any fucking system -- in short: context matters a lot and balance is always contextual.

As Abits mentioned the changes were most likely to ramp up difficulty while keeping the encounter number low, you can probably then imagine why they would want to keep the encounter number low.

You can also see how the other battles NOT involving goblins turns out. Guess what? A LOT less surface effects and a lot less manipulation of height.

Try looking at it from their shoes or what possible perspectives may have caused them to do so before going full drool cup.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Limz

You're not really being smart about this are you?

You know Larian has to balance for multiple things and there are some things that 5e is not good with and some things that 5e is like any fucking system -- in short: context matters a lot and balance is always contextual.

As Abits mentioned the changes were most likely to ramp up difficulty while keeping the encounter number low, you can probably then imagine why they would want to keep the encounter number low.

You can also see how the other battles NOT involving goblins turns out. Guess what? A LOT less surface effects and a lot less manipulation of height.

Try looking at it from their shoes or what possible perspectives may have caused them to do so before going full drool cup.

Your logic seems sound until you remember that 5e has been play tested and balanced already over a long period of time by a pool of candidates far greater in number and diverse in playstyle than anything larian has access to. There are many ways to balance fights to be challenging without altering mechanics and the mechanics they have altered eschew the combat in ways that are counter productive to balance. Somebody even made a thread highlighting how the surface effects are absolutely domineering when it comes to concentration checks for spells. It is creating more problems than it is solving.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Vynticator
Rather too many people here getting frothy over changes from core 5e rules. Larian do their own version of 5e rules. Elemental surfaces are fun, make the map layout and positioning absolutely crucial, and allow for much more tactical play. Some people get hung up on minute differences from 5e: maybe enjoy the game as it is, if it doesn't work in the game, then critique it in those terms. 5e isn't a bible and it's not useful to be fundamentalist.

Nothing really "not 5e" about surfaces, they aren't the problem, it's how easy they are to come by, and the changes made to spells, that I don't like.
I'd rather see them make most items and spells behave as at the table top, and add a spell or two from their own making if they want more surfaces.

Thing is there are a plethora of rules for surfaces in 5e, and spells who create these effects. Want a burning thing on the floor? Well you got "Create Bonfire", a spell. So why does Firebolt do the same?

Swen often talks about understanding the language of the game, and I feel they are on to something but has somethings lost in transalation.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Completely agree with OP. I feel the same about the "it's not just like BG1 and 2" crowd.

journeyman
journeyman
+1 to the OP's statement. If you want 100% accuracy then make your own D&D campaign instead of having unrealistic expectations to a video game.

Oh come on, it's not an unrealistic expection, there are literally mods on the nexus that go along way towards what we're asking for

How is it unrealistic?

Not to mention that there are other games that stuck close to 5e AND work way better than BG3.

veteran
veteran
I am definitely in the camp of not caring about 5e rules. I dislike D&D mechanics anyway, and if Larian were to take an axe to 5e rules and mechanics I would become their most vocal cheerleader.

However, I also utterly dislike the extent to which the game has those elemental surface interactions. Those don't add "tactical depth." They're just annoying, tedious, silly cheese. It is ridiculous that there would be all those surfaces so very conveniently available exactly where you want them exactly when you want them. Furthermore, it is also ridiculous that so many barrels of oil are just lying around everywhere waiting for the party to gather them up and cheese with them.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Vynticator
Rather too many people here getting frothy over changes from core 5e rules. Larian do their own version of 5e rules. Elemental surfaces are fun, make the map layout and positioning absolutely crucial, and allow for much more tactical play. Some people get hung up on minute differences from 5e: maybe enjoy the game as it is, if it doesn't work in the game, then critique it in those terms. 5e isn't a bible and it's not useful to be fundamentalist.

Honestly surfaces and area effects aren't a new thing to Baldur's Gate and they notoriously were pretty annoying
https://i.imgur.com/EC8OBSz.jpg
remember this guy?

I think they need to balance surfaces a little from pure gameplay perspective. Putting down brine or fire can decimate enemies since they have no option but to run through it. Fire also can remove things like grasping vines or grease and basically undermines the use of those spells completely. Also early enemies have way too many alchemist fires, acid vials, fire arrows, and acid arrows too.

Originally Posted by kanisatha
I am definitely in the camp of not caring about 5e rules. I dislike D&D mechanics anyway, and if Larian were to take an axe to 5e rules and mechanics I would become their most vocal cheerleader.

Out of curiosity: Do you also waltz into a football game and declare you like baseball better, and that you hope they change the rules to accomodate you?

Last edited by endolex; 19/10/20 07:37 PM.
Originally Posted by CrestOfArtorias

How is it unrealistic?

Not to mention that there are other games that stuck close to 5e AND work way better than BG3.

For 5E specifically only the upcoming Solasta comes to my mind - do you know other examples, I'd be curious to know? But previous D&D editions: Yes, pretty much agreed. Larian right now is bending the rules more than any other D&D C-RPG game developer.

Last edited by endolex; 19/10/20 07:40 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
While I think surfaces themselves are ok, I do think they need to be less readily available as it is now.

Frankly, one may ask what's the point of playing something like Wizard, when your average meathead fighter can just toss explosive or oil barrel and do carnage on par with Fireball at will and every turn if he so desires, with all these countless barrels of wine/powder/whatever you can collect from everywhere and stock in camp.

I can understand when you have a specific big encounter with opportunity to drop some trash, like that
second fight at druid gate where you can blow up sappers and toss already placed 2 barrels down, which makes sense because it's siege preparation.
These kind of things ARE fine, when you have some explosive intended to be exploited in a specific encounter to help you a tad right there, where it makes sense and not overused everywhere.

But just being able to hoard barrels and toss them around willy nilly? That should be a no, IMO.

Last edited by Gaidax; 19/10/20 08:06 PM.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard