Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
Zorax Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
In BG2 there was the possibility that Aerie could become the witch of Minsk. When Aerie was hurt severely or even died Minsk could enter a berserk rage in which he was faster and did more damage (but was also not controllable anymore as far as I remember). Is it possible to add specific combat behavior to companions if they have a certain relationship with the player or with each other like:

- specific passives
- status changes that will trigger under certain conditions (see above)
- additional skills

Be creative (but keep it close to DnD 5e to not introduce further balancing issues). BG2 has shown it's possible and it would add another layer to personality of the companions if their relationship actually matters in battle as well.

old hand
old hand
Hell. Yes.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
addict
addict
+1. I totally agree.Party members should give more feedback in battle and outside of it. There's literally one case where Astarion reacted in the middle of a conversation to say something he deemed important. Apart from that most of the time the only feedback I get is if I ask them for general feedback at the end of the day.

They should be reacting more to our decisions when they happen. " Astarion/Gale approves" from time to time is just not satisfying enough. Would be way better to have him comment on my actions.
That's mostly what made BG2 companions so cool to deal with. They felt organic. DOS2 had the same issue tbh.

Last edited by virion; 19/10/20 04:04 PM.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Ooooh, nice! I want this!

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
A relationship based panic-like system would be pretty cool, where if they didn’t like you they’d routinely disobey commands.

Z
Zorax Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by virion
That's mostly what made BG2 companions so cool to deal with. They felt organic.

Bioware was also very clever in the way they built their story. Act 1 was tutorial. Act 2 was very open world and meant to gather your companions and define what kind of character you want to play. Act 3 and later were more linear with a stronger focus on the main story which meant less side quest and diversions. But that made it also easier for the developers to implement companion reactions (BG2 example: male character; relationship with aerie; when that female drow forced you to sleep with her). And the whole vampire thing at the end. And the relationship even continued in ToB. That's an entirely different level compared to many games where romance is just "One companion quest, sex scene, done".

But when Minsk entered berserk rage because of Aerie that was just another of these great moments I even remember more than 15 years later.

veteran
veteran
Yeah it's a nice touch. Dragon Age Origins had it as well

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Yes. Also for a simple thing - voicelines upon companion death. "And the mad wizard falls! Saves me the trouble!"

S
addict
addict
S
+1

Link Copied to Clipboard