Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
It just seems that without Dark Vision (Humans, Halflings and Githyanki) you are at a real disvantage.

veteran
veteran
True. Torches really help but if you have a martial class it's a problem

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
On the other hand, torches are some of the best melee weapons in the game.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Abits
True. Torches really help but if you have a martial class it's a problem

How do you use torches exactly?

veteran
veteran
You need to equip them and than dip them in fire

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
N
old hand
old hand
N
You can dip any weapon in the fire. So torches are still inferior to a two handed sword dipped in fire.

But drow dark vision is really good though, I would not give it up for a torch.

Last edited by Nyanko; 19/10/20 02:29 PM.
addict
addict
Aragorn held off four Nazgul on Weathertop with a torch, and because of that, they could not get the Ring from Frodo. That was the one thing the Nazgul were sent to do, the most important task in all Middle Earth, and the Ring was right there just a few feet away, but they just couldn't get past the waving torch and had to leave. No doubt, Sauron must have soon learned of this and instituted a counter-torch training program.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I'm pretty happy that for once night vision has an impact on the gameplay!

journeyman
journeyman
Don't sleep on the light spell. It makes your weapon glow with a 14 foot radius.

Originally Posted by Sinople

It should give drow a disadvantage in sunlight though (Sunlight sensitivity). To make it fair I think there should be a trade off for all races, due to how many dark areas there are in this game, but that of course also depends on the rest of the game.

On a side-note, this (dis-)advantage would be even more noticeable with a day-night cycle.

Originally Posted by Mezbarrena
Don't sleep on the light spell. It makes your weapon glow with a 14 foot radius.

^^^^^^^^ Don't underestimate conjured light ^^^^^^^^

P
P
Torches shouldn't get your proficiency bonus to attack -- they're improvised weapons.

The light cantrip should be better, and there should be light scrolls easily available in case for some reason no one in the party has it.

veteran
veteran

yeah this is the other side of the coin and I agree it's dope

journeyman
journeyman
Though even dark vision (for all but Drow) isn't always enough if you're fighting at range. Most darkvision only has a range of 12m from memory whereas maximum range of many spells is 18, and bows even longer if youre up high. Not sure what range of darkvision most of your opponents in the Underdark have?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Eireson
Though even dark vision (for all but Drow) isn't always enough if you're fighting at range. Most darkvision only has a range of 12m from memory whereas maximum range of many spells is 18, and bows even longer if youre up high. Not sure what range of darkvision most of your opponents in the Underdark have?

If they add Duergar and Svirneblin they will have 24 m dark vision.

Last edited by Hoarfrost; 19/10/20 04:34 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Argyle
Aragorn held off four Nazgul on Weathertop with a torch, and because of that, they could not get the Ring from Frodo. That was the one thing the Nazgul were sent to do, the most important task in all Middle Earth, and the Ring was right there just a few feet away, but they just couldn't get past the waving torch and had to leave. No doubt, Sauron must have soon learned of this and instituted a counter-torch training program.

Is that why the Ringwraiths were afraid of Sauron - because of his flaming eye?

.i.
addict
addict
There are a couple kinds of night vision, one of which will have daylight sensitivity penalties, and one which won't. If the night vision is based on low-light detection, such as seeing in faint starlight, then you might have a daylight issue because the sun will be overwhelmingly bright. A pair of quality Drow-made sunshades will fix that. This method does not work if there is not even a faint light source around.

If you have thermal vision, then you are able to see the self-emitted longer wavelength infrared photons which are generated as a function of the object temperatures per Planck's Law. In this case, thermal vision will work perfectly well day or night, indoors or outdoors, as long as there are temperature differentials. You can buy a thermal camera at the hardware store for a couple hundred dollars and try it out! Where this falls apart is when the average temperatures are either too low or high. If you are on Mars, for example, the extreme cold there means the peak Planck radiation is down closer to the radio wave spectrum, and it is very weak. And that is perhaps why there are no Duergar on Mars.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by frequentic

It should give drow a disadvantage in sunlight though (Sunlight sensitivity). To make it fair I think there should be a trade off for all races, due to how many dark areas there are in this game, but that of course also depends on the rest of the game.

On a side-note, this (dis-)advantage would be even more noticeable with a day-night cycle.

Originally Posted by Mezbarrena

^^^^^^^^ Don't underestimate conjured light ^^^^^^^^

Each race have different racial bonus (dark vision, ability bonus, speed) so you don't get your dark vision for free (I hope so) !

But I don't know what's the official rule about these race and how Larian balanced it considering that's there is no day-night cycle actually (that's another story).

journeyman
journeyman
One thing I haven't tested is if a melee character is using a light source does that mean the opponent he's attacking is then easily visible to the rest of the party regardless of distance, I'd assume so, but lighting mechanics can be awkward in games.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Postwave
Torches shouldn't get your proficiency bonus to attack -- they're improvised weapons.

The light cantrip should be better, and there should be light scrolls easily available in case for some reason no one in the party has it.

Dancing lights is great for casting at range to light an enemy location. I also like throwing torches after they're lit.

J
stranger
stranger
J
casting light on your weapon is a good option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard