Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#707471 19/10/20 08:38 PM
S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Goblin models are too cute, clean and even stylish to be goblins. It totally breaks the game's immersion.

They are telling distusting and awful things as it hould be in a DnD game but their models and expressions are too cute and catoonish which does not fit with rest of the game's style.

They should be uglier, more dirty and more irritating. However, they just look like World of Warcraft goblins!!! Unfortuately, this applies most of the other creatures. Humanoid characters are insanely detailed and very realistic but monsters and creatures are too cartoonish.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by sinogy
Goblin models are too cute, clean and even stylish to be goblins. It totally breaks the game's immersion.

Crazy, I thought the goblin fort and their party and roasted dwarves and the merchant peeing next to his stand and just..everything was probably my favorite part of the game and the best thing they just nailed as far as look and feel.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm actually with Orbax on this one. I thought the visuals of Goblins was pretty good, with a solid variety of utterly disgusting to well kept, which makes sense.

I also loved that they subverted expectations and gave every goblin a posh British accent as opposed to the nasally/scratchy voice you normally get in different mediums (LotR, prior BG games, etc).

I hate that they also gave everyone else on the entirety of Faerun that same accent, making Goblins significantly less audibly unique.

veteran
veteran
For some reason people keep talking as if the British accents in the game were some sort of "posh stylistic choice" and not the consequence of, you know, a British studio (well, several of them actually) doing all the voice acting.

P.S. The goblins are absolutely perfect.

Last edited by Tuco; 19/10/20 09:02 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
stranger
stranger
So far, the Gobbs have been the most varied thing I've encountered and I think they're fine enough.
Kill em one moment, talk to em the next. They look scrappy while still feeling less threatening on their own.
I'll say it now, I wouldn't mind a goblin companion after seeing Larian's take on them.

I think that disconnect between the graphic styling is intentional - some of these creatures aren't supposed to be natural afterall.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong
I'm actually with Orbax on this one. I thought the visuals of Goblins was pretty good, with a solid variety of utterly disgusting to well kept, which makes sense.

I also loved that they subverted expectations and gave every goblin a posh British accent as opposed to the nasally/scratchy voice you normally get in different mediums (LotR, prior BG games, etc).

I hate that they also gave everyone else on the entirety of Faerun that same accent, making Goblins significantly less audibly unique.

Most of them sound quite 'common', from the ones I spoke to.

Love and sausages xx
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco
For some reason people keep talking as if the British accents in the game were some sort of "posh stylistic choice" and not the consequence of, you know, a British studio (well, several of them actually) doing all the voice acting.

P.S. The goblins are absolutely perfect.

Except, you know, voice actors can do different voices. The guy who voices Astarion literally did a Russian accent for a recent Resident Evil game. The use of all British accents in the game was a conscious choice, not due to mechanical limitations.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong

Except, you know, voice actors can do different voices. The guy who voices Astarion literally did a Russian accent for a recent Resident Evil game. The use of all British accents in the game was a conscious choice, not due to mechanical limitations.

I never talked of "limitations", but since their native British accent while speaking English is as much a good fit as it gets for a medieval setting, there was not particular reason to go for anything different, either.

Last edited by Tuco; 19/10/20 09:24 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
I love them.
I want to play as one myself.

old hand
old hand

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
O
journeyman
journeyman
O

They are telling distusting and awful things as it hould be in a DnD game but their models and expressions are too cute and catoonish which does not fit with rest of the game's style.

They should be uglier, more dirty and more irritating. However, they just look like World of Warcraft goblins!!! Unfortuately, this applies most of the other creatures. Humanoid characters are insanely detailed and very realistic but monsters and creatures are too cartoonish.

the goblins look almost exactly like how they do in the monster manual

Last edited by override367; 19/10/20 10:26 PM.
They are fun to kill up.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
i don't know how your dnd game "should" be but the only time i played with goblins in pnp i was DM and my goblins were cute and neutral good.
because dnd can be how you want it to be. laugh

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Goblin romance when?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Dour Goblin Paladin when?
I want to roll a Dour Goblin Paladin who is just tired of all these shenanigans, but good aligned nonetheless.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
[Linked Image]

That's the official art for DnD Goblins. I think BG3s goblins fit the bill.

As for the British accents. I don't mind, honestly to me "Green Skins" talk with working class British accents, because I have played so much Warhammer. (Orks and Gretchins speak Cockney)

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Nah dog they look like little toys, wearing cubone skulls for helmets and armor made from stuff they found.

Idk when they’re going to figure it out.

This. Game. Is .Over. Stylized.

If you play it for 40 hours you get used to it, but every new person and reviewer says ‘wait, why does everyone’s face look perfect, why is everything so nice, why are the Cleric, the Ranger, and that NPC all wearing identical armor hat looks fresh from the gap?”

PS are some of you blind or just deliberately argumentative. Enough people have mentioned that the ultra-high fantasy aesthetic is jarring now, everything’s too clean and cute, that we’re not all imagining it.

How can someone look at Lea’Zhal’s armor, then hear another person say ‘that looks too pristine’ or ‘that looks like late game armor’ and vehemently take the other side of that argument.

Goblins in game look like goblins in that drawing in so far as them being small and green.

Last edited by Stray952; 20/10/20 07:51 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I really liked the goblin models. It seems like something that could actually exist. I think they nailed their inherent evilness without making it far too unpleasant.

S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by override367

the goblins look almost exactly like how they do in the monster manual

No They don't. https://www.deviantart.com/almega-3/art/Goblin-604236620

They exactly look like WoW goblins.

S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Aurgelmir
[Linked Image]

That's the official art for DnD Goblins. I think BG3s goblins fit the bill.

As for the British accents. I don't mind, honestly to me "Green Skins" talk with working class British accents, because I have played so much Warhammer. (Orks and Gretchins speak Cockney)

How does BG3 goblins fit the bill with their large top part of their skulls and night-club style hairs? Especially female goblins look horribly cute.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard