Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I don't like the way casting spells using higher level slots is implemented. I think that having a different item for the same spell using a different level slot is confusing and not very intuitive. I suppose this will go worse as you level up and gain more spells.

In my opinion it would be much better to have a single item for each spell, and then by selecting it you can somehow specify at which level you want to cast it. Perhaps by dragging the spell directly to the slot of the corresponding level or by clicking on the spell and then in the box of the corresponding level. It might need an extra 'click' but I think it's worth it.

In fact it could be very cool that after selecting the spell and the character performs the corresponding animation, you could select a higher level slot and the visual effects of the character's animation would be amplified showing that a higher magic power will be released.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Agreed, id rather have this than messing with allowable options for spells/items etc.

veteran
veteran
Quickcast popup menu like in nwn2. Shows only prepared spells and +1, +2 etc tabs for up casting or metamagic.

The current system in BG3 is a horrible mess where you can't find anything because of all the possible variations cluttering the interface.

Last edited by 1varangian; 20/10/20 11:30 AM.
You also could just click on a spell and it would "pop up" some context menu, where you see all spellslots and items that allow to cast it. I agree that dragging every little utilityspell into the hotbar multiple times should not be in the finished product

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
It's fine now, but when we get to level 7+ it's going to be a dreadful mess.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Slapstick
It's fine now, but when we get to level 7+ it's going to be a dreadful mess.

It's definitely not fine to list every level 1 spell again with level 2 spells when preparing as a Wizard. Level 3 would have all level 1 AND 2 spells listed.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Quickcast popup menu like in nwn2. Shows only prepared spells and +1, +2 etc tabs for up casting or metamagic.

The current system in BG3 is a horrible mess where you can't find anything because of all the possible variations cluttering the interface.

Or a menu like PoE or Pathfinder Kingmaker.

At level 4, my cleric already has a super cluttered bar with spells and there is even a few on hotbar 2. The only none-spell thing on my hotbars is the basic healing potion and even then I tend to just open the inventory to use any consumables. Easier to find what you are looking for.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by azarhal

At level 4, my cleric already has a super cluttered bar with spells and there is even a few on hotbar 2. The only none-spell thing on my hotbars is the basic healing potion and even then I tend to just open the inventory to use any consumables. Easier to find what you are looking for.

They already do this with Warlock's Hex, to decide what ability check you want to grant disadvantage on (kind of a useless trait, unless you target Dex and do it before combat starts so they have disadvantage on initiative). All 6 options appear in a pop-up box.

They also have this on the Throw action button. You click on it and everything you can throw in your inventory pops up.

This would be an easy enough implementation for them to do. The trick would be the checking for available spell slots and showing or hiding them based on that.

veteran
veteran
When a Warlock casts Hex, it pops up a menu for Hex options. This needs to be done for casting spells. You click the spell you want, then select the level you want to cast it at. Spells you have no slots left for are grayed out, unavailable.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SLOPOrion

They already do this with Warlock's Hex, to decide what ability check you want to grant disadvantage on (kind of a useless trait, unless you target Dex and do it before combat starts so they have disadvantage on initiative). All 6 options appear in a pop-up box.

They also have this on the Throw action button. You click on it and everything you can throw in your inventory pops up.

This would be an easy enough implementation for them to do. The trick would be the checking for available spell slots and showing or hiding them based on that.

I agree this would be a good solution but please, not as it is actually for Hex and throw action : it's an awfull UI.
Something like PoE is a way better designed UI.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by SLOPOrion

+1

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
i think the hotbar is just not a good ui solution for spells and abilities.

Link Copied to Clipboard