W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Nope

stranger
stranger
My vote? Rolling stats! I love the diverse potential for an OP, god-o-war Warchief that crushes his enemies, drives them before him/her, and hears the lamentation of the children...sorry. My barbarian was speaking. But seriously, I would love to see a stat roll system for the potential of creating such awesome characters. This game doesn't have PvP. There's no concern of being able to steamroll or dump on other players. It's literally you vs the game. It's pure PVE, so I say, let folks have fun. For those who want something more moderate, there is point buy, a completely viable-yet-bland option.

All in all, as long as I get to play a half-orc or Goliath barbarian, I'll be happy, but it would be all the more sweet if I can be a barbarian with a starting 18-20 on STR or CON. ':D

Something more concerning to me than PB-v-Rolls is being able to swap STR for CHA on melee classes. It's one of the reason that numerous friends of mine, and myself, use the optional rule (supported by WotC and DDB) to allow melee classes with high strength to use their primary stat (STR) for their intimidation checks, instead of the largely accepted CHA stat. It's an optional rule for a reason. A big, brawny, mean-faced Terry Crews-arian can be just as terrifying, if not more so, than a highly charismatic Fiend-lock. When the gnome bard can out intimidate a barbarian that eats axe heads for breakfast, there's a serious imbalance, IMO. :-/

stranger
stranger
On the issue of multiplayer/co-op, it's a simple solution. If you're creating a MP character, it's point buy. If you're creating a you-only character, then you have the option to roll up the most OP demigod in BG history. ;-)

addict
addict
My only experience with rolling characters is rolling so high I was forced to point buy because multiple 18s were a no go with my GM.

I don't care if they add rolling, so long as they don't take the point buy away. There's nothing more obnoxious to me in a D&D game than rerolling 20000000 times for stats. Just let me sort it out and go.

S
addict
addict
S
I love rolling! A roll option would be as much of a BG-flashback as Boo going for the eyes! I would roll a thousand times for 95, but never use a character editor to set the abilities to 100. The former is hard work, the second just cheating wink

apprentice
apprentice
I like rolling, but it so often produces a set of bland 11s and 12s that it's not a great method unless you're going to sit there and keep rolling until you get something half decent, and if you're going to do that then you may as well just make up whatever numbers you want. Point buy is fine, and the standard array always feels a bit too low. What I'd honestly prefer is a flat set of 75 points (3 more than the standard array) to assign however I want (restricted to between 3 and 18 per attribute, of course). No increased cost the higher you get, like point buy does. Min-maxers are happy, balanced players get a fair choice.

EDIT - You could even add a basic difficulty option with this. e.g. 90 points for easy, 75 points for standard, 65 points for frequent TPKs...

Last edited by Wrathbone; 20/10/20 03:15 PM.
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Seraphael
I love rolling! A roll option would be as much of a BG-flashback as Boo going for the eyes! I would roll a thousand times for 95, but never use a character editor to set the abilities to 100. The former is hard work, the second just cheating wink

Yeah, it’s the same for me. In old school BG and IWD, rerolling did actually have a cost benefit paradigm: how long am I willing to reroll for? and how good is good enough? It’s not the same as using a trainer or the command console at all.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Warlocke
On the other hand, I find a bizarre, pathologically demented satisfaction out of rerollling again and again until I end up with a 95 total ability point Demi-god Mary Sue.

I'm already spending too much time playing the game. Also buy systems let you do crazy shit to improve stats later in the game which is always fun, thinking about that sub dermal armor in Fallout 2.

Last edited by Worm; 20/10/20 03:36 PM.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Yeah, it’s the same for me. In old school BG and IWD, rerolling did actually have a cost benefit paradigm: how long am I willing to reroll for? and how good is good enough? It’s not the same as using a trainer or the command console at all.

Creating characters may have been the first time I experienced RSI.

well alright, possibly the second.

S
addict
addict
S

How long am I willing to reroll for? ...AAAND am I willing to risk heartbreak rolling past that perfect score? lol

Last edited by Seraphael; 20/10/20 03:39 PM.
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Worm
On the other hand, I find a bizarre, pathologically demented satisfaction out of rerollling again and again until I end up with a 95 total ability point Demi-god Mary Sue.

I'm already spending too much time playing the game. Also buy systems let you do crazy shit to improve stats later in the game which is always fun, thinking about that sub dermal armor in Fallout 2.

You can still improve stats of rolled characters.

W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W

How long am I willing to reroll for? ...AAAND am I willing to risk heartbreak rolling past that perfect score? lol

Yes, it requires active concentration. If you don’t pay attention you will just thoughtlessly pass by a great attribute spread. XD

It's not "work", its just clicking a button until you get what you want. Cut out the middleman, install a mod to cheat with whatever stats you want, and save yourself some time. Don't make the devs code this nonsense.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Dice rolling for attributes in a video games = repeatedly rerolling until you get the exact attributes you want anyhow.

It'll change what the developers have to do to balance the game though, making it a slower developement.

Last edited by TheOtter; 20/10/20 03:58 PM.
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg

It's not "work", its just clicking a button until you get what you want. Cut out the middleman, install a mod to cheat with whatever stats you want, and save yourself some time. Don't make the devs code this nonsense.

Nah. We like it and according to Swen lots of people have requested it. I don’t understand why people like you insist on games not having optional content that you don’t want. This won’t take long for a dev to code. I’m not a professional coder, but I’ve leaned a bit of Java and C++, and this feature is pretty easy stuff. It’s not going to take away any significant resources from anything else.

journeyman
journeyman
Please allow us to roll for our character stats. Please.

Banned
Banned
Stick with rolling. Basing games around balance ruins them. Rolling allows you to play characters that are more of a challange.
THough if we have point buy, maybe that means we don't have to allocate all of our points...

M
stranger
stranger
M
Personally why not both? i mean why not allow people to choose whether they want to use point buy or rolling for stats before they start making the character? that way people who prefer one over the other aren't pigeonholed into a system they don't like, while allowing people the choice to use either whenever they want.

Last edited by marcialhd; 30/11/20 09:50 AM.
B
Banned
Banned
B
Rolling would be a lot better. But i would have nothing against buying or premade stats for beginners difficulty.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TheOtter
Dice rolling for attributes in a video games = repeatedly rerolling until you get the exact attributes you want anyhow.

It'll change what the developers have to do to balance the game though, making it a slower developement.

This is totally wrong...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 30/11/20 01:51 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard