Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nicottia
Originally Posted by robertthebard
Are we playing the same game? Both of my Drow have had Drow specific dialog. Maybe your version is earlier than mine, and my choices were added later? One of the lines was akin to "If you see red eyes, run", when talking to one of the Tiefling children in the Grove.

Again, however, I don't want Larian writing a backstory for my custom characters, and I'm still really amazed at how many people here seem to not only want it, but need it?

Did you even read what I wrote or just skimmed through it looking for keywords?

Ugh, I did write that the race and class do come up in dialogues. But unless you missed it, you can choose your background:

[Linked Image]

This is my main source of complaint as it never comes up in dialogue.

So it's there but unused. Totally pointless.

Yeah, sorry about that, I caught the "racial" mention on a second read through of your post. My bad, never post before a third cup of coffee, I guess. That might be worse than posting drunk...

Origin characters are not bad, msot players jsut don't like them. Like people don't like Trump laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rouoko
Origin characters are not bad, msot players jsut don't like them. Like people don't like Trump laugh

Origin characters are bad. They are poorly designed, poorly written and poorly thought out. You can find reasons for this all over the forums. They where bad in DivOS2 but in BG3 they are absolutely trash tier.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
Originally Posted by Argonaut

Origin characters are bad. They are poorly designed, poorly written and poorly thought out. You can find reasons for this all over the forums. They where bad in DivOS2 but in BG3 they are absolutely trash tier.

You keep stating your opinion as fact. Keep up the sputtering rants though! I'm sure they'll get rid of countless hours of work just to suit you lol.

old hand
old hand

Are you basing this on your inability to follow a narrative, or your inability to pick up on subtext?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, sorry about that, I caught the "racial" mention on a second read through of your post. My bad, never post before a third cup of coffee, I guess. That might be worse than posting drunk...

Yeah, no problemo my man. wink But like I said, they don't have to write the story of your PC, your background should already define that. Aside from giving you a bunch of 'free' proficiencies. Then they could expand that - like with the entertainer - were you a part of circus, a singer in a tavern or something else? Being given a limited choice would be nice. Also, the entertainer coming up in dialogue with that bard tiefling chick in the Druid Grove would make sense, no?

Originally Posted by Abits
That said, I don't sure how much they really "steal the spotlight" in practice, even if it's true in theory. I'll be happy to hear some examples if any of you guys have any.

Do you really want me to talk about how special Gale is and how his entire backstory not only steals the spotlight of the PC, but he's so damn special that he needs a contingency plan for when he dies (what given his backstory makes sense ofc)?

The man, the legend, the second coming of Elminster and Khelben, man who is on par with the greatest wizards ever known because he was a chosen of Mystra, he made love to a goddess but clearly, his love making skills weren't enough for the goddess dumped him, so he got stuck trying to woo her back by getting that big bad Netherese time bomb stuck in his chest, requiring him to suck magic or it goes boom super sonic.

Then there is Shadowheart, with her amnesia and purple sparkly magic, which I will bet is some sort of connection to the Shadow Weave. But still, nobody steals the spotlight as much as Gale does. Like legit, Astarion or even Wyll don't even come close to Gale. So far, Lae is the most normal of the whole bunch, given she's a githyanki of course.

old hand
old hand

Yeah, no problemo my man. wink But like I said, they don't have to write the story of your PC, your background should already define that. Aside from giving you a bunch of 'free' proficiencies. Then they could expand that - like with the entertainer - were you a part of circus, a singer in a tavern or something else? Being given a limited choice would be nice. Also, the entertainer coming up in dialogue with that bard tiefling chick in the Druid Grove would make sense, no?

That said, I don't sure how much they really "steal the spotlight" in practice, even if it's true in theory. I'll be happy to hear some examples if any of you guys have any.

Do you really want me to talk about how special Gale is and how his entire backstory not only steals the spotlight of the PC, but he's so damn special that he needs a contingency plan for when he dies (what given his backstory makes sense ofc)?

The man, the legend, the second coming of Elminster and Khelben, man who is on par with the greatest wizards ever known because he was a chosen of Mystra, he made love to a goddess but clearly, his love making skills weren't enough for the goddess dumped him, so he got stuck trying to woo her back by getting that big bad Netherese time bomb stuck in his chest, requiring him to suck magic or it goes boom super sonic.

Then there is Shadowheart, with her amnesia and purple sparkly magic, which I will bet is some sort of connection to the Shadow Weave. But still, nobody steals the spotlight as much as Gale does. Like legit, Astarion or even Wyll don't even come close to Gale. So far, Lae is the most normal of the whole bunch, given she's a githyanki of course.

Maybe they'll get to that as more classes are added. The Entertainer, while not mutually exclusive, would fit a bard really well.

Side note, that bard encounter was a highlight of the game, to this point.

S
stranger
stranger
S
your opinion is trash tier

S
stranger
stranger
S
you idiots expecting a team of random ppl that don't know eachother to just all fit together and work as a team from act 1. Think they know good writing

veteran
veteran

Not what I meant. What I meant was, how many times the story had to stop because of your companions? I can think of two small things that happened with shadowheart, Wyll and the goblins, and Layzel with the gith. But other than that, for most of the game they have no major affect of what's actually going on

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Originally Posted by FrostyFardragon
People generally come to forums to complain about something. The people who are happy with the companions are much less likely to post than people who have an axe to grind.

This. Add in the neckbeard factor because a female character dares to be anything but a doe eyed waifu and, well...

Maybe they can add in some mute companions for those who cant handle anything beyond Tolkeinesque low fantasy dirt farmers. The dwarf from the hag's hut can be your bog standard dwarven fighter. Maybe he can say "it if aint dwarven, its crap" in a scottish accent! Oho! That was funny 40 years ago and certainly still holds up! Add in an elven ranger, a hobbit thief, and an old wizard (really just Gale with a beard) and a passive cute female life cleric. Give Tav an amulet that has the narrator intone "You're a special boy! Not only are you special, but you're the MOST special, and no one else is special!". They can click it whenever they need the validation. Then the grandpa crowd can shut up and get to Denny's for their senior specials.

Last edited by Bossk_Hogg; 20/10/20 04:22 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe they'll get to that as more classes are added. The Entertainer, while not mutually exclusive, would fit a bard really well.

Side note, that bard encounter was a highlight of the game, to this point.

Agreed, that entire song made me tear up IRL. But then again, I'm a softie. wink

But I still think the backgrounds should matter more. Cause, yes, bards are entertainers, but so wizards and sorcerers could be as well, you know, magic tricks, balls of light and what not. wink

old hand
old hand

Not what I meant. What I meant was, how many times the story had to stop because of your companions? I can think of two small things that happened with shadowheart, Wyll and the goblins, and Layzel with the gith. But other than that, for most of the game they have no major affect of what's actually going on

Because we don't have most of the game yet? We only have Act I. How many acts are there? What happens with them in Act II? Act III? We don't know, and can't know, for now.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Some recent posts have managed to turn the Dismissive and Patronising up to 11!

Someone else's opinion is as relevant as yours. If someone doesn't like what you like, that does not make them in any way inferior.

Last edited by Sadurian; 20/10/20 04:17 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg

You keep stating your opinion as fact. Keep up the sputtering rants though! I'm sure they'll get rid of countless hours of work just to suit you lol.

That's a big boy statement for such a little man. Would you like to challenge the arguments instead of trying to talk down to me or is should I take it that this is the level of maturity and mental fortitude of people that consider them to be well written?

Are you basing this on your inability to follow a narrative, or your inability to pick up on subtext?

I'm basing it on your inability to play the game without savescumming.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Some recent posts have managed to turn the Dismissive and Patronising up to 11!

Someone else's opinion is as relevant as yours. If someone doesn't like what you like, that does not make them in any way inferior.

Shh, it's often best to let children make fools of themselves in their confidence. That way you know immediately that it's not worth taking them seriously.

enthusiast
enthusiast

So you want specific encounters were companions take over the conversation? Fine.

Astarion with the Gur monster hunter, if you don't let Astarion kill him, Astarion will get big mad at you, 99% chance that encounter will turn violent regardless (if you refuse to kill that Gur guy, high chance you might end up fighting Astarion instead). Then there is Lae with her githyanki patrol, that scene plays out entirely differently if you have her with you or sitting at the camp. Shadowheart and her purple stuff highjacking some scenes, her being big mad at you for daring to open that Selunite cache at the owlbear cave. Wyll being Wyll at the gobbo camp, making nearly all encounters deadly, cause of the way he trashtalks 'em, like with the priestess Gut he's like 'oh, let's kill her!' and you can either tell him to cool down and interrogate her (will make him big mad at you) or kill her cause a big chain fight. Same goes for all the globlin leaders, it would be nice if he let us ask questions first and then kill them. Find out what the absolute is and what it wants with us. And I'm sure there is more.

Edit: Fixed a bunch of typos.

Last edited by Nicottia; 20/10/20 04:30 PM.
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg

That's a big boy statement for such a little man. Would you like to challenge the arguments instead of trying to talk down to me or is should I take it that this is the level of maturity and mental fortitude of people that consider them to be well written?

"These characters are poorly written" isnt a fact, and isnt even an argument. Plus you'll just whine about ad hominem, incorrectly say everything you cant counter is a fallacy, and ignore the substance of any challenge. Its what you "debate me you coward" types always do. So, keep typing up long responses that will amount to nothing.

addict
addict
Because we don't have most of the game yet? We only have Act I. How many acts are there? What happens with them in Act II? Act III? We don't know, and can't know, for now.

Technically, we don't even have all of Act 1, just most of it.

old hand
old hand

I'm basing it on your inability to play the game without savescumming.

Citations needed. Oh, my bad, I mean, provide some evidence for my inability to play the game w/out save scumming.

Last edited by robertthebard; 20/10/20 04:34 PM.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard