Print Thread
T
theod3 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Is this supposed to happen?

If I move a character into melee with an enemy they seem to be able to take an attack of opportunity. If I selected an attack action and movement at the same time, the enemy reaction cancels my attack and I lose my action. If I just move into range and then attack I can do it.

theod3

apprentice
apprentice
Yep this has happened to me a lot, too. Frustrating! Not sure if bug or intended, but if intended, please undo!

S
stranger
stranger
S
Not sure if it's a bug also.
You can sometimes see if you move to a certain spot near an enemy that an AOO might happen. A little red arrow lights up under the enemy and points towards where you are aiming to move to. Keep an eye out for the red arrow, move in to position and then attack.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Not sure if it's a bug also.
You can sometimes see if you move to a certain spot near an enemy that an AOO might happen. A little red arrow lights up under the enemy and points towards where you are aiming to move to. Keep an eye out for the red arrow, move in to position and then attack.

addict
addict
Had that happen also. Does not seem to be consistent, but some AoO removed my character's Action and Bonus Action.

apprentice
apprentice
Yeah sometimes they get an aoo even when I don't move? If you're close to an enemy but ranged attack a different one does that allow an aoo normally?

Tuuch! Tuuch! Tuuch!
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
It is most certainly a bug with ghostman-pathing(anytime your character's silhouette appears to show you where your action will take place.) If you are interrupted by AoO when using ghostman-pathing, your action can be nullified and spent. Happens every time for me, but that could be anecdotal.

When you ghostman-pathing to attack, I think that sometimes your character will reposition themselves when they go to animate the attack. They enter the enemies reach where you stated you wanted to attack, but during the reposition, they slightly move out of the the targets reach, triggering AoO and canceling your attack. This may not be the case, but that is my best guess at what is happening under the hood.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
There is a Feat in 5e called Sentinel which does:
Whenever you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, its speed drops to 0 for the rest of the turn. This stops any movement they may have been taking.

• Creatures within your reach provoke opportunity attacks even if they took the Disengage action.

• When a creature within your reach makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn't have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.

That feat is currently not in the game yet for us to choose, but it almost feels like what is happening is this.

However even if that is happening it shouldnt be consuming your action, just your movement.

If its not that its prob a bug.

With that said I have also found mobs that have unique mechanics to trigger AOO and learned quickly how to adjust. Its possible they gave special features to certain creatures.

Jaz

Last edited by Jazhara202; 20/10/20 09:34 PM.
T
theod3 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
It only does it if I move and attack in the same motion. If I am out of melee and move into melee and attack at the same time I get interrupted. Level 2 enemies. Definitely not sentinel. If I move first and then attack once positioned, it doesn't happen. Even if a pre-emptive reaction was normal, it shouldn't steal my action.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Jazhara202
There is a Feat in 5e called Sentinel which does:
Whenever you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, its speed drops to 0 for the rest of the turn. This stops any movement they may have been taking.

• Creatures within your reach provoke opportunity attacks even if they took the Disengage action.

• When a creature within your reach makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn't have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.

That feat is currently not in the game yet for us to choose, but it almost feels like what is happening is this.

However even if that is happening it shouldnt be consuming your action, just your movement.

If its not that its prob a bug.

With that said I have also found mobs that have unique mechanics to trigger AOO and learned quickly how to adjust. Its possible they gave special features to certain creatures.

Jaz

It's definitely not an intended feature. It happens to me often against any enemy. They aren't using polearm master, sentinel, riposte, or any other source of an AoO that should proc.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
A solution would be to actually separate disenage from Jump as it should be anyway and make it an action. If goblins are easily able to do so its obviously coded already. Not to mention how silly it looks everyone just jumping around.
Keep Jump as a bonus if you want but that can provoke an attack, risk vs/reward trying to clear Z axis or something

Jaz

addict
addict
Originally Posted by theod3
It only does it if I move and attack in the same motion. If I am out of melee and move into melee and attack at the same time I get interrupted. Level 2 enemies. Definitely not sentinel. If I move first and then attack once positioned, it doesn't happen. Even if a pre-emptive reaction was normal, it shouldn't steal my action.

Ah, good spot check ! Hope Larian read this.

Note to self then : Move then attack. It is how I do most times anyhow.

X
stranger
stranger
X
This has been an annoying thing that I keep running into and I have been mainly sticking to range attacks to counter it. Glad to know it isn't just me and that its a bug.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
It does seem to be a bug, and the "Ghostman" scenario as described earlier explains it fairly well.
When you have a situation where you say "I will go here and do xxxx" your action is already considered spent. You begin moving, reach the position, and do the action which you paid for already.
If something happens, from AoO, to a damaging/difficult Terrain (you will sometimes stop as you enter these) your movement stops and you only spend the appropriate amount (You planned to run for all of your movement, but only reached halfway you'll have half your Movement left when "Stopped"), but your action is considered spent, without actually doing the action.

journeyman
journeyman
Happens to me too. Anytime i see the "ghost " thingie and start teh action and an enemy atcks me, my action is lost for the round. If I go there first, get attacked , then I can atack again (meaning my action is not "stolen".
I hope its a bug....

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Jazhara202
A solution would be to actually separate disenage from Jump as it should be anyway and make it an action. If goblins are easily able to do so its obviously coded already. Not to mention how silly it looks everyone just jumping around.
Keep Jump as a bonus if you want but that can provoke an attack, risk vs/reward trying to clear Z axis or something

Jaz

I've been asking for it a lot already. Disengage has to be a full action. Only the rogue should be able to attack on the same turn they disengage.

veteran
veteran
This is a known issue. Larian's aware. For now we just have to make the best of it smile

Link Copied to Clipboard