Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Traycor Offline OP
OP Offline
I like that food can be used to heal. It has the same flavor as Second Wind and represents refreshing yourself to regain your vigor.

What I don't like is a character eating a whole potato or melon during a 6 second round where they are also running, firing a longbow, and dodging enemy attacks. It's way beyond silly and breaks the suspension of disbelief. Plus, stuffing yourself in combat would LOWER your effective HP. Eating like that doesn't sound refreshing at all. XD

S
addict
addict
S
+1

veteran
veteran
I agree.
Suggested the same thing few days ago.

...Man, we need macro-threads for these recurring topics.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Just dont eat in combat. Why ruin the enjoyment of others just because you like a certain style? Just make it your own.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vekkares
Just dont eat in combat. Why ruin the enjoyment of others just because you like a certain style? Just make it your own.

Because it's not a matter of "Just don't do it" and it's not about "ruining the enjoyment". It's about making sense with consistent rules and creating a balance in the experience cutting off potential exploits.

Regaining HP from food is already quite a generous concession by D&D standards. Making it possible to eat 10 Kgs of roasted pig head as a bonus action during a combat turn is just nonsense (and something that makes you question why potions would even be a thing).

Last edited by Tuco; 20/10/20 02:45 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
S
stranger
stranger
S
Wait, wait, wait guys.
Time out while I eat this pigs head.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Tuco
I agree.
Suggested the same thing few days ago.

...Man, we need macro-threads for these recurring topics.

I disagree. :p

Except for your point about the macro-threads, which I am (slowly) trying to get more of a handle on. I should probably add this to the list.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
+1
Eating during combats is a little bit ridiculous, even in a TB game.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
+1 I agreed

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I never get into a fight without a banananana. You need the potassium.

Last edited by Sadurian; 20/10/20 03:41 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
but potassium relaxes your muscle... maybe add some FISH and LEMON to boost that adrenal. Seriously, food heal in this game is silly because there are spell in DND that do that, aka good berries.(eating it as an ANCTION) So I assume good berries will be severely nerf or not in the game at all? I guess we'll see....

Last edited by Madoric; 20/10/20 04:03 PM.
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Just put in an option for:

Normal food healing on/off
Normal food healing ooc
Normal food healing everywhere.

That should be the general way forward, put in options for alot of things so were not stuck with this singleminded "GM"

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia

What do you like about using food in combat, exactly?

addict
addict
I didn't mind food ... out of combat, as it was a compensation for the 1 Short Rest (i.e. I do not spam Long Rest).

But eating a Pig Head in combat was a bit too much on many levels. crazy
Anyhow, I agree : *if* food continues to heal, that should be only out of combat.

I did not, though, eat the Dwarf meat (I will destroy it next time I load and give them a funeral).

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
+1 makes no sense guys c'mon XD

veteran
veteran
Brilliant. Make it still useful but not overpowered

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
+1 . And add more potion to compensate.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Tuco

What do you like about using food in combat, exactly?

I'm not 100% sure I actually have done yet; it's more a case of being against restricting stuff as I tend to be of the "don't like it? Don't do it" opinion. It's quite refreshing to play a game that e.g. doesn't place artificial restrictions on when and where you can save, so I would prefer stuff to remain at the player's discretion. Obviously within reason as effective anarchy would probably be game-breaking even with the best will in the world, but I think things like this don't set a good precedent.

IMHO, of course.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran

I'm not 100% sure I actually have done yet; it's more a case of being against restricting stuff as I tend to be of the "don't like it? Don't do it" opinion. It's quite refreshing to play a game that e.g. doesn't place artificial restrictions on when and where you can save, so I would prefer stuff to remain at the player's discretion. Obviously within reason as effective anarchy would probably be game-breaking even with the best will in the world, but I think things like this don't set a good precedent.

IMHO, of course.

Restrictions are what defines a game. Having a sets of limit and rules that defines your borders and give you a range of action.
Chess is fun because you have to stick to rules and move your pieces accordingly.

Otherwise what you have is not a game but a toy, something somewhat funny to toss around for a bit, but without any defined purpose and any meaningful winning condition.
"Don't do if you don't want to" makes for a damn lousy ruleset.

Last edited by Tuco; 20/10/20 04:32 PM.

old hand
old hand
A future concern could be around crafted foods & drinks. Dont want to eat an apple but youd like to drink the Elvish Apple Cider you made that gives you immunity to sleep for 3 rounds? Sorry, thats food, not a potion - you should have taken that before the fight. I'd have to see where they go with this kind of stuff before worrying about level 1 apple consumption. Level 10 apples are most likely not something anyone cares about. I would have to assume its for when you have 150hp and have crafted tasty victuals.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard