Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Sachael Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Patron deities are a big thing in DnD. And although mechanically, it affects mostly only divine classes - as a roleplaying thing - I would like to choose a patron deity for my wizard or fighter smile

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Sachael
Patron deities are a big thing in DnD. And although mechanically, it affects mostly only divine classes - as a roleplaying thing - I would like to choose a patron deity for my wizard or fighter smile

So, choose one. I'll pick Neptune. There, my character worships Neptune.

addict
addict

Curious you brought this is , I rolled a new character last night and the option to pick a deity is no longer there. I know I picked one on my first play through.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Doomlord
Curious you brought this is , I rolled a new character last night and the option to pick a deity is no longer there. I know I picked one on my first play through.

Might be a silly question, but was that first character a Cleric when you picked the deity?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Doomlord

Only Cleric select a deity, the default class is Cleric.

T
addict
addict
T
This is pretty important for getting the right feel of Forgotten Realms given some of the cosmological feel of the setting. And it can be used to trigger some interesting conversation options I suppose.

For example, being a Selune worshipping Fighter or Warlock would make for some interesting options with Shadowheart.

journeyman
journeyman
Back when I was playing PnP D&D I always chose a god that I wanted to worship when I was either playing a Wizard/Sorcerer or some other non Divine Class. I think we should be able to pick a god if we want even as a non divine class

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Iszaryn
Back when I was playing PnP D&D I always chose a god that I wanted to worship when I was either playing a Wizard/Sorcerer or some other non Divine Class. I think we should be able to pick a god if we want even as a non divine class

I mean, NWN2 and NWN I believe gave us this option.

addict
addict
I'd definitely like to have the option of choosing a patron deity, even when not playing a cleric.

I can, of course, just pretend to worship one, but it's missed opportunity for dialog between characters and general interaction. Imagine a Lathander or Kelemvor worshipper when Astarion reveals his nature... pure fun smile

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Absolutely agree. It is slightly more than just background when you have Gods actively interfering in the mortal realm. Religion suddenly becomes a significant part of your life and how you interact with others.

As I mentioned on the other thread; ideally, I would like to see some small in-game interactions that depend on your chosen deity. A +1 to skills such as Insight, Investigation and Diplomacy when dealing with your own religion, for example. It's not a game-breaker, but would make me feel that my character is more grounded in the world.

T
addict
addict
T
Yeah, that's another thing. This is a world where the gods are actively involved and are obligated to get involved even if they aren't inclined to do so usually. And having a patron god keeps you from getting put into the Wall of the Faithless when you die.

addict
addict
Completely agree. This is a world where gods have a huge impact on the material plane and lives of pretty much everyone.

This would be probably too much (effort for what it is), but it would be cool if we could additionally choose "faithful" or "devout" (or some more appropriate names) for non-clerics. "Faithful" would be just when one god is favoured/chosen as a patron deity/specifically worshipped, "devout" would be for an acolyte, who is a member of the deity's clergy and acts as its agent. (Pretty much a cleric lore-wise, just serving the deity with a different skillset.) Mechanically, "devout" could have the same religion-related dialogue/tags as clerics, while "faithful" only part of it (knowledge of a member of a church rather than a priest).

T
addict
addict
T
Also....the Acolyte background is available.

If you have the Acolyte background that means that you are an ordained priest even if you are not a Cleric, Druid, or Paladin by class.

So you can be an Acolyte Fighter which means you're a priest for SOMEBODY and who would that be?

Personally I'd also like to see expanded lists of available gods. Some of my favorites like The Red Knight and Sharess aren't there.

+1, gods are a huge part of the Forgotten Realms. This is one of the first things a new player to D&D lore and including the god descriptions will be a great first look into the lore.

enthusiast
enthusiast
No alignment remember?

Link Copied to Clipboard