Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I have tried to have Gale learn spells because it says scrolls can be used for this purpose but it is not an option; is this a bug?

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Might be. He ought to be able to learn.

Have you the money and has he not got that spell already in his spellbook?

Oh, and it ought to be a wizard spell. Wizards should not be able to learn Clerical or Druid spells, whether from scrolls or not. I know that there have been issues with wizards learning divine spells (like Healing), so Larian may have fixed this.

Last edited by Sadurian; 20/10/20 07:04 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Might be. He ought to be able to learn.

Have you the money and has he not got that spell already in his spellbook?

Yes.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I had no trouble.
Right click. Press learn. Pay gold.

Done.

T
addict
addict
T
Make sure that the wizard you want to learn the spell has their inventory highlighted in white on the inventory screen indicating they are the active character.

I've run across this bit of confusion before.

This can also cause you to equip the wrong person with a piece of gear with right click+Equip if you're not careful.

journeyman
journeyman
I just did it, right click on scroll learn spell, pay gold done... ans wizard can still learn anyspell. I just learn guiding bolt.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Madoric
I just did it, right click on scroll learn spell, pay gold done... ans wizard can still learn anyspell. I just learn guiding bolt.

This seriously peaves me to no end. Has Larian replied somewhere that they will change it? Wizard should really be restricted to wizard spells...

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
My wizard has had no issue, I must say.

The 'having to select the target character' when equipping or drinking potions/eating food is a real pain, though. I've wasted plenty of potions giving them to the wrong character, including drinking Poison Resistance by my PC and then sending Astarion through a cloud of poison.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Demoulius

This seriously peaves me to no end. Has Larian replied somewhere that they will change it? Wizard should really be restricted to wizard spells...

I've heard them refer to it as a glitch. It's a fun one for now though, my abjurer with shield of faith is having a ball.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Demoulius

Maybe the next patch? It is certainly an issue plenty of people have raised.

W
veteran
veteran
W
It mentions in one of the loading screen tips that classes can only use scrolls for spells they can learn. This isn’t a design feature, it’s just a product of the unfinished state of the game. Likely the appropriate tags haven’t been applied to scrolls yet.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
should it really be limited per gold ? know it works like that in D&D but as i see the gold can come really cheap resource, should the spells learned through scrolls be limited by something else, or not limited at all ?

old hand
old hand

The 'having to select the target character' when equipping or drinking potions/eating food is a real pain, though. I've wasted plenty of potions giving them to the wrong character, including drinking Poison Resistance by my PC and then sending Astarion through a cloud of poison.

LOL, I'd almost pay to watch a video of that, especially if we could see the player reaction. laugh

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by brunotavm
should it really be limited per gold ? know it works like that in D&D but as i see the gold can come really cheap resource, should the spells learned through scrolls be limited by something else, or not limited at all ?

Scribing spells into spellbooks costing money is one of those features that dates back to the original game. It makes little sense as currently implemented but has previously been justified in D&D as taking up valuable materials. This isn't terribly convincing when you are scribing scrolls in the middle of a beach with no access to anything better than a quill plucked from a passing seagull and a dead crab's innards to make ink. Still.

It is really simply game balance, acting as a brake to scribing everything that comes your way. I don't think it need be limited by anything else, and I would actually be happier with it not being limited at all (except... balance). Possibly a later implementation could replace the actual gold coins used with having to buy special inks and new pages for the spellbook? Not sure.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by robertthebard

LOL, I'd almost pay to watch a video of that, especially if we could see the player reaction. laugh

I'll admit I was imagining all sorts of rather biting comments coming my way. Between the coughing, that is.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by brunotavm

Scribing spells into spellbooks costing money is one of those features that dates back to the original game. It makes little sense as currently implemented but has previously been justified in D&D as taking up valuable materials. This isn't terribly convincing when you are scribing scrolls in the middle of a beach with no access to anything better than a quill plucked from a passing seagull and a dead crab's innards to make ink. Still.

It is really simply game balance, acting as a brake to scribing everything that comes your way. I don't think it need be limited by anything else, and I would actually be happier with it not being limited at all (except... balance). Possibly a later implementation could replace the actual gold coins used with having to buy special inks and new pages for the spellbook? Not sure.

The special items requirement seems a lore friendly solution, although the system prevents you from being able to use all possible spells even if you know them (spell slots) so don't restrict also seems a good way

stranger
stranger
There is a special item requirement - The gold is just hand waving for the item requirement.

DNDBeyond says:
"For each level of the spell, the process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp. The cost represents material components you expend as you experiment with the spell to master it, as well as the fine inks you need to record it. Once you have spent this time and money, you can prepare the spell just like your other spells."

Being in the middle of no where with a spellbook, scroll, and gold will not help you scribe that spell. You need to spend the gold somewhere to buy inks and components...

They should add an "arcane ink" item add for inscribing that each unit is worth 50pg. Then add some vendors and add it as loot as well...

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by LodurOfTheSquids
There is a special item requirement - The gold is just hand waving for the item requirement.

DNDBeyond says:
"For each level of the spell, the process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp. The cost represents material components you expend as you experiment with the spell to master it, as well as the fine inks you need to record it. Once you have spent this time and money, you can prepare the spell just like your other spells."

Being in the middle of no where with a spellbook, scroll, and gold will not help you scribe that spell. You need to spend the gold somewhere to buy inks and components...

They should add an "arcane ink" item add for inscribing that each unit is worth 50pg. Then add some vendors and add it as loot as well...

Attach that to happen in camp only, there you solve the problem (makes sense only use gold there considering all the staff in camp that you could buy this from) and have another reason to trip back to camp XD

Last edited by brunotavm; 20/10/20 09:53 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard