Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
There’s a Fextra article on building rangers that says Colossus Slayer and Hunters Mark do not stack.

After doing some testing the last half hour or so they do... kind of. Not in the way that you’d think and it’s not all that impressive.

So for those of you two weapon fighting, Colossus Slayer rolls a whole second attack. If you have Hunters Mark cast, it applies an additional 1d6 to the CS attack.

Meanwhile, neither CS nor Hunters Mark apply to JUST an off-hand attack. Which is weird.

So Horde Breaker allows you to double attack two different enemies, while CS allows you to essentially do two attacks on one person. Horde breaker is basically as good as dual wielding without the second weapon, and CS is actually better given that it stacks with HM and 1d8 is better than a scimitar.

Rethinking my build now. Two weapon fighting is immediately outpaced, as is carrying a second weapon at all. From the meta standpoint it’d be better for the second attack to have its own health pool, ie an animal.

Last edited by Stray952; 20/10/20 08:09 PM.
old hand
old hand
Oh crud I was using both.

I can still one shot sneak snipe most stuff with Colossus Slayer though.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I have seen multiple people say this, and as far as I can tell every single one of them is wrong. If this is a real glitch, please provide some evidence (I'm not being rude, I just can't find any proof personally).

Also, trust me here, hunters mark and colossus slayer stacking would not break the game. From playing 5e for years now, it's not even close. There are much better sources of damage or stacking damage.

old hand
old hand
Actually Colossus Slayer is broken as it is working on enemies with full HP. Its superior to sneak damage right now.

I found 3 bugs with Colossus Slayer using a Longbow that I've reported:
1. It applies damage on the first hit (when target is full), which I think isn't suppose to happen.
2. It doesn't stack with Hunter's Mark (at least in the fight where I noticed it, Hunter's Mark would add damage and Colossus Slayer would be omitted from the combat log). It's possible this doesn't always happen, I'd have to go do some tests, but I checked it over the length of a medium fight and it did this every time.
3. It gets applied to Knock Out which is sort of hilarious, killing the target.

old hand
old hand
Having it work on full HP enemies makes rogues completely redundant.

Hunters Mark works on full HP enemies so you can still try to sneak kill with that but you need to avoid getting caught when applying the mark.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 20/10/20 08:25 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
2. It doesn't stack with Hunter's Mark (at least in the fight where I noticed it, Hunter's Mark would add damage and Colossus Slayer would be omitted from the combat log).

I actually found it working most of the time and with HM and not working sometimes. There is certainly quite a few bugs with CS at the moment.

And yeah... lul... Rangers are quite a tad far from being OP, though I believe they might be a bit better than usual in BG3, because so many ledges and high ground positions all over the place make it very easy to get Advantage on ranged attack. Though I bet Paladins will be still by far most ridiculous especially with weapon skills giving them free AoE attack, even if only once a short rest.

Last edited by Gaidax; 20/10/20 08:36 PM.
old hand
old hand
Right now you can sneak through the whole goblin village and 1 shot everything with a colossal hunter ranger lul.

Even after getting caught, you pick one enemy off each turn without even needing the rest of your group.

Anything under 15 hp is 1 shotable. Add dip and the +1 crossbow for enemies over 12 HP.

Could be worth making use of all those bonus effect arrows too for enemies up to 20 HP.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 20/10/20 08:42 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Not to mention that between striding, ring (which I think stacks), and wood elf bonus movement a ranger can basically keep their distance from almost anything.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Right now you can sneak through the whole goblin village and 1 shot everything with a colossal hunter ranger lul.

Even after getting caught, you pick one enemy off each turn without even needing the rest of your group.

Anything under 15 hp is 1 shotable. Add dip and the +1 crossbow for enemies over 12 HP.

Could be worth making use of all those bonus effect arrows too for enemies up to 20 HP.

Rogue can do the same thing.

Sneak attack does also keep up with hunters mark+cs, particularly at higher levels, by the by-though the way they implemented it means that it only ever does damage in multiples of 2 (they multiple the dice roll by a formula for character level instead of rolling more dice).

S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by SilverSaint

Sneak attack does also keep up with hunters mark+cs, particularly at higher levels, by the by-though the way they implemented it means that it only ever does damage in multiples of 2 (they multiple the dice roll by a formula for character level instead of rolling more dice).

Can you expound on that a little bit? I’m planning to restart and want to get as much info as possible to avoid another restart. I’m not super familiar with DnD and I’m really getting into the numbers... probably more than this game actually. The more actions you take the bigger the curve on your damage numbers. I’m curious to see how two handed weapons and duelist with rapier affect that curve.

old hand
old hand

No it doesnt, I've tried both. Rogue's sneak attack is significantly less than the Ranger's Colossal Slayer, as well as Colossal Slayer always working, and Sneak Attack not working when enemies are not surprised.

Rogues can only use Light Crossbows / Longbows with racial proficiency that deal 1d8, and the sneak damage initially is just 1D6. Rangers are getting 1D10 from Heavy Crossbow, 1D8 from Colossal Slayer, and 1D6 from Hunters Mark. This is all fine on enemies that are not at max HP as that way you have to enter combat first by hitting them once, but colossal slayer should not be applying damage to full HP enemies allowing this much ease at picking them off while they still have full HP.

Additionally this currently basically weakens the Rogue class as Colossal Slayer is doing their job much better.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 21/10/20 01:58 AM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S

No it doesnt, I've tried both. Rogue's sneak attack is significantly less than the Ranger's Colossal Slayer, as well as Colossal Slayer always working, and Sneak Attack not working when enemies are not surprised.

Rogues can only use Light Crossbows / Longbows with racial proficiency that deal 1d8, and the sneak damage initially in just 1D6. Rangers are getting 1D10 from Heavy Crossbow, 1D8 from Colossal Slayer, and 1D6 from Hunters Mark. This is all fine on enemies that are not at max HP as that way you have to enter combat first by hitting them once, but colossal slayer should not be applying damage to full HP enemies allowing this much ease at picking them off while they still have full HP.

This is factually incorrect. Sneak attack does 2d6 starting at level 3, when colossus slayer comes online. Sneak attack is better.

1d10 +1d8 vs 3d6 favors the d6 significantly, with an even greater increase in damage if you are also using a light crossbow. And yes, it is calculating this damage correctly for sneak attack.

If you also hunters mark you can, indeed, hit higher numbers with a ranger, but you have to be doing both to compare.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S

1d10 +1d8 vs 3d6 favors the d6 significantly, with an even greater increase in damage if you are also using a light crossbow. And yes, it is calculating this damage correctly for sneak attack.

They are not rolling 3d6 for sneak attack though. They roll a single d6 and then multiply it, which is a lot worse than rolling 3d6 because you have an equal chance of getting 3 or 18 dmg, when you should’ve had a bell curve.

Rolling more dice is preferable for dependable damage.

old hand
old hand

Rogues can only use Light Crossbows / Longbows with racial proficiency that deal 1d8, and the sneak damage initially in just 1D6. Rangers are getting 1D10 from Heavy Crossbow, 1D8 from Colossal Slayer, and 1D6 from Hunters Mark. This is all fine on enemies that are not at max HP as that way you have to enter combat first by hitting them once, but colossal slayer should not be applying damage to full HP enemies allowing this much ease at picking them off while they still have full HP.

This is factually incorrect. Sneak attack does 2d6 starting at level 3, when colossus slayer comes online. Sneak attack is better.

If you also hunters mark you can, indeed, hit higher numbers with a ranger, but you have to be doing both to compare.

Maybe actually try it ingame rather than theorycrafting. Rangers with colossal slayer 1 shot <15hp enemies about 90% of the time, rogues manage to less than 50% of the time both at level 4. Ive tried the exact same thing with both in the Goblin camp and the results are consistent.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 21/10/20 03:42 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

I found Sneak Attack to be less consistent, because when you're eventually discovered and square off vs 10+ goblins or so solo - you usually just can't sneak attack. Colossus and Mark on the other hand works always (too always now). It also helps that Ranger get +2 to attack from Archery to help with all the misses clown fiesta.

This is not some theorycrafting here, it's how it is ingame actually. In theory sneak attack is all good and nice, but at the moment Ranger can just roll his face over attack button, advantage or not, and simply get the damage done no matter the situation.

Last edited by Gaidax; 21/10/20 12:29 PM.
stranger
stranger
As far as i can tell Colossus Slayer only works with bows if you haven't used a bonus action beforehand (which in this case is hunter's mark), i also run into the same issue if i hide before i fire a bow.
I found that if you apply a hunter's mark on a target and then shoot it the next round the 2 abilities do stack.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Right now you can easily do 50-60 damage per swing with a ranger non crit.

My ranger has Colossus Slayer, Light of Creation weapon and Great Weapon Master.

For some reason, GWM triggers on Light of Creations 1d6 Lightning damage and also on the Colossus Slayer 1d8. So you end up with a minimum of 30 damage plus whatever.

If you throw water on someone, the GWM damage on the lightning portion is also treated as lightning, so it does 20 instead of 10.

With some clever routing, you can pick up Light of Creation basically at the start of the game, and it makes for some really hilarious fights where every bottle/barrel of water you pick up is an extinction event for a single enemy.

I don't think anything else currently does that much damage, although I imagine it could probably get beat out by a hasted GWM fighter with the 2d12 minotaur greatclub.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard