Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by sinogy
Originally Posted by override367
Goblin models are too cute, clean and even stylish to be goblins. It totally breaks the game's immersion.

They are telling distusting and awful things as it hould be in a DnD game but their models and expressions are too cute and catoonish which does not fit with rest of the game's style.

They should be uglier, more dirty and more irritating. However, they just look like World of Warcraft goblins!!! Unfortuately, this applies most of the other creatures. Humanoid characters are insanely detailed and very realistic but monsters and creatures are too cartoonish.

the goblins look almost exactly like how they do in the monster manual

No They don't. https://www.deviantart.com/almega-3/art/Goblin-604236620

They exactly look like WoW goblins.

At least link to a 5e monster manual entry when you complain, or scroll up to see the actual Goblins from MM5e. They look very similar.

As to people complaining about sytlized looks. I for one am happy that most people are pretty. So many games these days take turns jumping down the ugly tree trying to see who hit's the most branches.
The armor and such I suspect is due to this being early access so they have a very limited number of armors ready to go for a MVP.
I'd love for more diversity in clothing, for sure. But it also makes some sense that the Tieflings have similar looking gear, as they are from the same city, and I assume most cultures would develop similar looking armor.
I have found Drow Studded Leather, that looked very different for instance. And I assume as the game develops that we'll see more of "what you took off the enemy is what you equip" looks to things.

veteran
veteran
I get it that when they start getting attitudes and trendy hair styles we lose the monsters that are ok to kill because they are vile and horrible. Sazza is a person, not a monster. It's a bit of a game changer.

I would prefer more monstrous goblins that wouldn't even speak common but only their own language. That would make their leaders stand out when they start speaking to you in common.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I just want them to be playable.

veteran
veteran
hot elf, hot elf... why not hot goblin?
Originally Posted by Kou The Mad
I just want them to be playable.

already possible. google goblin mod

Last edited by Abits; 20/10/20 09:03 AM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am literally going to wait for the console release.
Can't do mods for Consoles.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
[quote=override367]
No They don't. https://www.deviantart.com/almega-3/art/Goblin-604236620

They exactly look like WoW goblins.

You have either an eyesight problem or didn't play WoW in a goddamn long time.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Trying to convince each other if something is cute or not? Are you serious? Here, let me define all of your tastes and preferences for you. *waves wand* do you all find the same food delicious now too? Good it worked!

There are 2 types: the MM someone linked already which these are based off of, and the green ones with pointy ears that are more upright and have thin lips and spiky teeth that are prior edition MM. Go back another edition and they look like smurfs. Thats it, those are the two unless you want to just say even though they said 5e, I want to use prior edition material? OP wants the green ones. Neat. The reasoning given: they look too cute while eating dwarf flesh, torturing prisoners, pissing in the open, and passed out drunk. Dont like accessories? Here Volos guide to monsters:

d20 Status Symbol
1 Earrings and notches in an ear
2 Rib bones tied into hair
3 A belt made from raccoon pelts
4 A gnome’s boot used as a hat
5 A pouch of toenail clippings from an allied ogre
6 A frog kept in a jar
7 Fragile helmets made from axebeak eggs
8 Nose rings
9 Painted or stained hands
10 Bugs kept in a bag for snacking
11 War cry tattooed on chest
12 Shields made from Ankheg chitin
13 Bracelet made of pieces of goblins turned to stone
14 Special breed of rat kept as pet
15 Teeth pulled out in certain places
16 Owlbear-feather cloaks
17 Scars from lashings
18 Orc-tusk lip piercings
19 Umbrellas made from dead darkmantles
20 Cloaks made of scraps from an elven tapestry

Its 5e, those are the 5e goblins. Recent source such as GGTR has different, this isn't GGTR, ERLW, EGTW, or anything else. Its 5e. If you can provide 5e MM source material and then show these goblins, and then point out the difference, go for it! Otherwise all thats been said is "this is 5e exactly, but I dont like it." Tough.

Last edited by Orbax; 20/10/20 04:10 PM.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Ol Blue Hat
So far, the Gobbs have been the most varied thing I've encountered and I think they're fine enough.
Kill em one moment, talk to em the next. They look scrappy while still feeling less threatening on their own.
I'll say it now, I wouldn't mind a goblin companion after seeing Larian's take on them.

I think that disconnect between the graphic styling is intentional - some of these creatures aren't supposed to be natural afterall.

Yeah man that’s the fucking problem.

If they were created correctly everyone wouldn’t emotionally respond to them like they’re Ewoks.

Sazza shouldn’t be pushing outer most edges of fuckable, if you were drunk stranded and no one would ever know.

The whole point of ‘goblins as people’ theme is that you’re supposed to identify with them even though they’re wretched. That’s what makes you a good person.

Right now you have a perfectly symmetrical person in popped-collar armor with horns telling you they’re going to kill a little green person with punk rock hair. They’re the same. They’re both overstylized, so they are equivalent distance from me and what we call ‘human.’ So when the tiefling says it’s just a monster, it’s observably untrue, or at least no more true for the goblin than the tiefling. Zero nuance or conflict here.

So once again, like in every aspect of this game, overly high fantasy aesthetic undermines story, character development basically everything else in the game.

Last edited by Stray952; 20/10/20 04:18 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
There's a Goblin Slayer Joke in there somewhere.
Probably Goblin Slayer Abridged.

Still want to play one though.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Goblins, half-orcs, githyanki.... some of you guys have waaay too low standards.
wink

addict
addict
What I do find immersive is there is a lot of variation in visuals between Goblins : it makes them feel more real. Some do look a bit gross (not as much as the OP would want), while others look more cute.

Still some of the most striking Goblins seen in video games in my opinion ! Congrats to the artists who made them (from concept to modelling to implementation).

The Gnolls also look awesome !

Last edited by Baraz; 20/10/20 11:32 PM.
X
stranger
stranger
X
In my opinion, they look and sound awesome. Yes, they could maybe be described as "cute," but, since they mostly behave like cruel and selfish cowards, I find their appearance disgusting and enraging rather than endearing.
Making "evil" species/races ugly is about the cheapest design choice one can possibly make.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I get it that when they start getting attitudes and trendy hair styles we lose the monsters that are ok to kill because they are vile and horrible. Sazza is a person, not a monster. It's a bit of a game changer.

"Grins in Murderhobo"

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JDCrenton; 21/10/20 05:08 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
That image is horrifying.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Honestly wasent really bothered by them. They dident really come across as cute to me....

Specially when they are talking about all the nasty shit that they have been up, are scamming you out your money, are literally roasting a dwarf in their camp and 1 of the kids killed one of the adventurers that had the misfortune of running into their camp.

Yeah, very cute allright xD

A
stranger
stranger
A
I think there could be a quick & simple solution to the "cuteness" issue: just add grit (but not in an exaggerated manner).

Make armor and clothes less shiny, add rust, dust and (blood?) stains on it.
Add scars, dirt and occasional acne to their skin.

That should be enough to appease both camps, as it will look pretty but gritty and believable, considering goblins' lifestyle.

veteran
veteran
Honestly i like Goblins models so much so i wish they are playable. :-/
But i guess that will be a little too much sadly. frown

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard