Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The damage buff is incorrectly applying to enemies with full HP giving Rangers far higher 'sneak' damage than rogues can do.

You can reliably one hit kill anything with under 15 HP, and even if caught while sneaking, pick of enemies one by one each turn in the same manner, comparatively to which a rogues sneak damage wouldn't work once the enemies are no longer surprised, and the damage is a bit lower as well.

Once we have level 5+ available and Rangers get a second hit, they will be able to deal colossal slayer damage every round on their second hit anyway, but this would normally be limited to longbows as crossbows can only hit once per round.

Currently you can pick up a 1d10 heavy crossbow, and add the 1d8 from colossal slayer on top on every hit, giving a damage range of 2-18 against enemies on full HP.

You basically sneak around all the goblin areas and pick 90% of the goblins off one by one. Combined with a Wood Elf's mobility, even after you are caught you can basically continue retreating and one shotting most enemies each turn without them ever catching up to you.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 21/10/20 12:00 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Beastmaster is cheesy as hell with 32hp infinite giant spider webs as well. Summon is unlimited action lol.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 21/10/20 12:17 AM.
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Is it really a problem? Kitting was also a thing in Baldurs gate 2. If Player want to cheese guerilla the game, why not?

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hachina
Is it really a problem? Kitting was also a thing in Baldurs gate 2. If Player want to cheese guerilla the game, why not?

Cheesing is not the end of the world in general, but when sensible design can prevent it (possibly without causing frustration to the player in the process) it should be addressed.

Last edited by Tuco; 21/10/20 12:30 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
if enemies actually dashed and disengage were not a bonus action that also let you jump kiting would be much more difficult

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Hachina

The description literally reads that it shouldn't affect enemies on full HP but it does.

Rangers will still be able to do this at level 5+ with Longbows, but they aren't meant to be able to apply full colossal hunter damage on full HP enemies at levels 1-4, or at 5+ with crossbows without a feat for multiple crossbow hits.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Rogues deal more sneak attack damage at all levels this comparison matters; rangers deal between 1-2 more damage with both hunters mark and colossus slayer, which is usually insignificant.

The bigger issue is that rangers have significantly more HP than rogues, and AC, so giving them a free damage increase due to poor coding still ain't great; the other problem is that rogues don't get expertise ATM, which is a vital part of rogueing.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
1d10+2 plus 1d8 for colossus slayer is only 2-20.
Dual wielding scimitars with CS and hunters mark you can dish out 4d6+5+1d8 that’s 10 to 37... or more functionally about 14-30 since anything higher or lower falls into almost impossibly low chances, and there’s a pretty flat part of the curve from 17 to 26.

So... idk a team of four people should be able to one-shot goblins when you’re fighting like a dozen of them.

Sounds like your issue is with the sneak system, which is clearly not finished.

The reason colossus slayer doesn’t work properly now is because it adds a separate attack, instead of a condition. So your first hit always triggers the second attack. I mean, delaying it by 1 turn isn’t going to change the outcome of a battle, once again it just enables you to stay permanently stealthed... which is a stealth issue. You can knock a goblin with just a bow, archery and hunters mark.

Relax the stealth system isn’t done yet. It’s EA so if you don’t like that aspect just don’t abuse it. I know that’s not a great answer, but you see the same thing when people complain about smithing exploit in Bannerlord... if you want to RP, just impose some restrictions on yourself.

Last edited by Stray952; 21/10/20 02:40 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stray952
Dual wielding scimitars with CS and hunters mark you can dish out 4d6+5+1d8 that’s 10 to 37... or more functionally about 14-30 since anything higher or lower falls into almost impossibly low chances, and there’s a pretty flat part of the curve from 17 to 26.

So... idk a team of four people should be able to one-shot goblins when you’re fighting like a dozen of them.

The reason colossus slayer doesn’t work properly now is because it adds a separate attack, instead of a condition. So your first hit always triggers the second attack. I mean, delaying it by 1 turn isn’t going to change the outcome of a battle, once again it just enables you to stay permanently stealthed... which is a stealth issue. You can knock a goblin with just a bow, archery and hunters mark.

Relax the stealth system isn’t done yet. It’s EA so if you don’t like that aspect just don’t abuse it. I know that’s not a great answer, but you see the same thing when people complain about smithing exploit in Bannerlord... if you want to RP, just impose some restrictions on yourself.

Just reminding that advocating for self-cripple and using it as an excuse is not a solution for bad game design/implementation. Yes, we all know it's EA so it's better to refrain from playing the same card a million times over to try and invalidate any negative comments/feedback about the current state of the game because is just gonna feel that you want to control the whole narrative and silence people.

For me it's like if they packaged the game with cheat engine and told me: here's this "fun" tool. You are entitled to use it or not if you feel like it. I would prefer if the whole D:OS cheat system was implemented as an optional quality of life feature like they did with GIFT BAGS on D:OS2 instead of being a complete forced integration and building encounters and mechanics around it.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 21/10/20 02:59 AM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by JDCrenton

Just reminding that advocating for self-cripple and using it as an excuse is not a solution for bad game design/implementation. Yes, we all know it's EA so it's better to refrain from playing the same card a million times over to try and invalidate any negative comments/feedback about the current state of the game because is just gonna feel that you want to control the whole narrative and silence people.

For me it's like if they packaged the game with cheat engine and told me: here's this "fun" tool. You are entitled to use it or not if you feel like it. I would prefer if the whole D:OS cheat system was implemented as an optional quality of life feature like they did with GIFT BAGS on D:OS2 instead of being a complete forced integration and building encounters and mechanics around it.

*shrug*
Just trying to inject some calm to this generally toxic forum.

Don’t drive your car out of the shop when it’s only got two wheels on it and then call the shop your car has bad handling and their craftsmanship sucks. The stealth system is one of the things that has very obviously not been finished.

If they haven’t had time to finish the stealth, they don’t have time to build a cheat module. Early Access is absolutely an excuse for a game to be incomplete, by its definition.

enthusiast
enthusiast

*shrug*

Don’t drive your car out of the shop when it’s only got two wheels on it and then call the shop your car has bad handling and their craftsmanship sucks. The stealth system is one of the things that has very obviously not been finished.

If they haven’t had time to finish the stealth, they don’t have time to build a cheat module. Early Access is absolutely an excuse for a game to be incomplete, by its definition.

Cmon man, now using the "toxic" label/card for anything you don't like. How can anyone take you srsly? Let's just leave it at that.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

*shrug*

How was this thread toxic?

Colossal Slayer is literally not functioning as it is described, its not meant to work on enemies at full HP.

OFC melee builds should do more damage because you are also prone to being hit back.

I've literally tried the same thing with both Astsrion and such a Ranger, the ranger reliably 1 shots most enemies. Astarion 1 shots less than half because the rogue and sneak damage is lower at levels 1-4.

Colossal Slayer will still be OP at level 5+ which is ok as everyone gets more powerful then (compare to fireball for example). It is not meant to be this powerful at level 1-4, as you are meant to damage an enemy with a normal hit before it works.

It is currently as good as it should be at level 5 but right as soon as you unlock it and trivializes normal mobs throughout the first act.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 21/10/20 03:37 AM.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
The damage buff is incorrectly applying to enemies with full HP giving Rangers far higher 'sneak' damage than rogues can do.

You can reliably one hit kill anything with under 15 HP, and even if caught while sneaking, pick of enemies one by one each turn in the same manner, comparatively to which a rogues sneak damage wouldn't work once the enemies are no longer surprised, and the damage is a bit lower as well.

Once we have level 5+ available and Rangers get a second hit, they will be able to deal colossal slayer damage every round on their second hit anyway, but this would normally be limited to longbows as crossbows can only hit once per round.

Currently you can pick up a 1d10 heavy crossbow, and add the 1d8 from colossal slayer on top on every hit, giving a damage range of 2-18 against enemies on full HP.

You basically sneak around all the goblin areas and pick 90% of the goblins off one by one. Combined with a Wood Elf's mobility, even after you are caught you can basically continue retreating and one shotting most enemies each turn without them ever catching up to you.

It gets even worse in terms of being broken, because it is treated as a second attack effects that apply on every attack are added to it, I tested with a GWM greatsword using ranger, he was doing 2d6 + 3 + 10, and 1d8 + 10 damage on every hit because of Colossus Slayer. Meaning he had a minimum damage of 26.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
I mean once the bugs are fixed with colossus slayer it shouldnt be a problem, right? right now, they work on full hp targets. They never work with offhand attacks, they rarely stack with hunter's mark...

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf

*shrug*

How was this thread toxic?

Colossal Slayer is literally not functioning as it is described, its not meant to work on enemies at full HP.

OFC melee builds should do more damage because you are also prone to being hit back.

I've literally tried the same thing with both Astsrion and such a Ranger, the ranger reliably 1 shots most enemies. Astarion 1 shots less than half because the rogue and sneak damage is lower at levels 1-4.

Colossal Slayer will still be OP at level 5+ which is ok as everyone gets more powerful then (compare to fireball for example). It is not meant to be this powerful at level 1-4, as you are meant to damage an enemy with a normal hit before it works.

It is currently as good as it should be at level 5 but right as soon as you unlock it and trivializes normal mobs throughout the first act.

If Astareon isn't one-shotting from stealth you're just getting poor roles. Again, he's dealing like 3d6+4, ranger is dealing 2d8+1d6+4, to 1d10+1d18+1d6+4, a change of 2-3 damage on average. And both deal an average of around 14-16, the HP range of most enemies you can one-shot reliably with either character.

Should colossus slayer be fixed? Yup. Is it broken because you can one-shot? Not really. It's just broken in the literal sense.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

If Astareon isn't one-shotting from stealth you're just getting poor roles. Again, he's dealing like 3d6+4, ranger is dealing 2d8+1d6+4, to 1d10+1d18+1d6+4, a change of 2-3 damage on average. And both deal an average of around 14-16, the HP range of most enemies you can one-shot reliably with either character.

Should colossus slayer be fixed? Yup. Is it broken because you can one-shot? Not really. It's just broken in the literal sense.

Nope theres something wrong with sneak damage dice not getting correctly applied either.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Bugged colossus slayer and then take the martial adept feat at lvl 4 giving you access to menacing attack and you got a hell of an opening shot. But ofc that's min-maxing for lvl 4 which won't make sense in the full game (especially once we have sharpshooter to choose instead). I agree that the beastmaster spider is a larger balance issue than a colossus slayer once it's fixed. In divinity 2 you could do similar shenanigans with summons but enemies would heal after leaving combat, so without multiple summoners, it was impractical to suicide run in summon after summon. Summon beast needs to be changed to a once a day ability. This then gives some utility to beastmasters who also chose find familiar at lvl 1 in the event your main pet is slain. This is assuming that after long rest enemies also heal, I haven't actually tested that but they certainly should. Then available pet options need to be better balanced. Beastmaster already has a significant bonus in that the pet's initiative is it's own instead of requiring a bonus action from the ranger to command it to do something.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Just wait until someone calls for an HP buff on enemies as a solution to the problem laugh

journeyman
journeyman
While Colossus Slayer does not stack whith Hunter's Mark nor is applied to off-hand attacks there is nothing OP about it. Actually I've written simple Monte carlo fight simulator in Python and the most damaging class are now Strength Thief with Handaxes, next is same build but Beastmaster with Giant Spider and finally until he has a spell slots, Wizard with The Sapphire Spark casting Magic Missiles. Hunter are far far away in terms of pure and sustainable damage per round.

Last edited by Zahur; 21/10/20 11:52 AM. Reason: wording
addict
addict
The whole "relax, it's early access" crowd reminds me of World of Warcraft betas. "It's only beta, it's fine!" Then the crap goes live, broken.

No, it's perfectly legit to bring it up now and to keep bringing it up til it's fixed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard