Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
Originally Posted by Zarna
Highly unlikely since 99% played D:OS 2. All the people i know abuse it to death.

Never played any of those.
I will break and abuse the crap out of anything in early access/beta in the hopes it will be fixed.
If this barrel stuff remains in full release I would not use it because I like to pretend npcs have at least some intelligence and would definitely become suspicious of all the furniture moving.
There are definitely a lot of things that need to be changed before release.

We can pretend all we want but the A.I. is still going to be retarded in the end because "Design Choices". Just like i can't ask the goblins to not spam throwables or arrows all the time even if i cripple myself. Most ppl don't understand the real issue here.

Really hoping they can fix the AI, there is still time but maybe I am too much an optimist.

veteran
veteran
With the OP on everything but #3. Love the epic start. Will be nice to grow a character from once forced to run from dragons and mind flayers to one that can go toe to toe with both.

But yeah, giving a +1 to the HP bloat. There's no reason to have a wizard in the party.

On barrelmancy, ashamed to say I've started using it to take out the main goblin boss. Largely because I can't handle the hang that goes on when the AI is "planning next move" and the whole temple goes hostile. Something is wrong there -- I have a stable overclock of 4.2 with temps that never go above 70. And it's not GPU either, my GPU doesn't go above 60 percent usage when the "planning " message hangs.

This time I noticed that the script even expected barrelmancy -- if you create a lake of fire you kill not only the bosses but the tadpole.

I loved DOS2, got a number of plays out of it each time playing on harder and harder difficulty. But D&D is something different. I mean what are these barrels of oil for? What use does one have mineral oil for in a fantasy medieval setting -- and if it is for sieges, 'boiling oil' and the like why aren't barrels locked up tight?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

This time I noticed that the script even expected barrelmancy -- if you create a lake of fire you kill not only the bosses but the tadpole.

Yeah, had a good laugh at that one.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by nizanegusa
well said!
two minor disagreements:
even though i like alignment more than my friends, it's not really part of 5e anymore.
5e is not perfectly balanced. if you give out no magic items magic users will overshadow martials at higher levels.
also i would not mind them buffing shitty spells like find traps, witch bolt or barskin.

yeah it's a misconception that the game is balanced around martial classes having no magic weapons

The guidelines for magical weapons by level are in Xanathar's Guide to Everything, these guidelines are Wizards of the Coast's inbuilt assumptions

BG3 I feel does pretty good with its magic items, lots of alternatives and sidegrades, few power spike items

S
stranger
stranger
S
I agree, I, like many people came to this game thinking that they were going to play baldurs' gate, not Divinity. I have been playing tabletop RPG's for 20 something years. I am not here to say that this game is not a beautiful game but this is not D&D. This is not Faerun. This is a game that is loosely based on D&D and uses many story elements from Faerun. It should not be the next game in the franchise of Baldur's Gate. This should be called Homebrew Evil game (loosely based on D&D and sorta in the setting of Faerun).

But this is my opinion. Yeah I am angry but I feel cheated. I wanted balder's gate and got divintiy 1.5. This is what I call a "miss" in the world of reviews.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Lower AC is necessary. In turn-based rpg misses aren't funny for most people.
It's frustrating when you miss every attack for several turns in a row, but if you lowered AC you have to increase HP or fight will be to easy.
You can't just add new enemies because no one wants to wait 10 minutes for next turn.
Changes in rules are necessary if Larian wants to sell a game for people unfamiliar with d&d.
You can't make game for few thousand people if you create AAA.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 21/10/20 04:30 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have yet to use a single barrel. Have not used terrain damage mechanics. I admit to using positioning, including height, but as far as I am concerned, if they can attack me from a roof, I can do the same to them.
There are choices you can make as to how to play the game, and I am not ready to write off everything that happens to step in part from DoS2 - I'll wait to see how it all balances out in the end.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
It's frustrating when you miss every attack for several turns in a row, but if you lowered AC you have to increase HP or fight will be to easy.
You can't just add new enemies because no one wants to wait 10 minutes for next turn.
Changes in rules are necessary if Larian wants to sell a game for people unfamiliar with d&d.

What exactly are you smoking? Few thousand people? Dungeons & Dragons is the single most valuable fantasy RPG IP in the world.

And those fans are reasonably looking for D&D 5e in this game, not D:OS3.

Last edited by dmwyvern; 21/10/20 04:50 AM.
+1

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by dmwyvern

What exactly are you smoking? Few thousand people? Dungeons & Dragons is the single most valuable fantasy RPG IP in the world.

Do you really think at least 1/4 of the D&D fans will buy this game? Most of players will be casual.
Larian has to sell far more copies than last time if they don't want to end up like Obsidian.

veteran
veteran

Make compelling animations. I love the superiority dice jump-n-smash animation add some other great animations like sword against sword, clanking against a shield, smashing against a breast plate, rolling away from the attack. Done well, missing can become just as engaging as hitting. Or, alternatively, the wizard might have something to do smile

Love this sword fight -- miss, miss, sword clank, dodge, miss, hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImPXMsnc2F4

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 21/10/20 05:26 AM.
R
old hand
old hand
R

Make compelling animations. I love the superiority dice jump-n-smash animation add some other great animations like sword against sword, clanking against a shield, smashing against a breast plate, rolling away from the attack. Done well, missing can become just as engaging as hitting. Or, alternatively, the wizard might have something to do smile

It may be fun for a few early hours, but it will eventually get boring.

veteran
veteran
Perhaps they can be persuaded to have house rules and core rules. BG2 had a slider, you could either have a generous interpretation of the rules or as close the rules as possible.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Especially if they each made an attack every 6 seconds... wink

enthusiast
enthusiast

Then you have the INSANE amount of asians and other ppl that find grinding entertaining too which is tedious no matter how you look at it AND YET. If we are going for which one would be more popular but Soulless, MMORPG would be the answer. If we go on about what feels repetitive or not, you'll find out that every single videogame out there has some sort of repetitive mechanics or patterns. Whether you find it entertaining or not is subjective to your own standards.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 21/10/20 05:46 AM.
J
journeyman
journeyman
J

Just a heads up I believe there is a bug with that to hit ratio. Today i saw i had 96% chance to hit which is pretty much rolling less than a 2 on a D20.

I attacked twice and missed back to back, I checked my logs and saw the Rolls that I did and I actually ended up only rolling an 8 total when the mobs AC was 12. So im not sure what the heck is going on with that.

Jaz

Last edited by Jazhara202; 21/10/20 05:47 AM.
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by Zarna
Highly unlikely since 99% played D:OS 2. All the people i know abuse it to death.

Never played any of those.
I will break and abuse the crap out of anything in early access/beta in the hopes it will be fixed.
If this barrel stuff remains in full release I would not use it because I like to pretend npcs have at least some intelligence and would definitely become suspicious of all the furniture moving.
There are definitely a lot of things that need to be changed before release.

We can pretend all we want but the A.I. is still going to be retarded in the end because "Design Choices". Just like i can't ask the goblins to not spam throwables or arrows all the time even if i cripple myself. Most ppl don't understand the real issue here.

Let's Race to The High Ground: The Game.

In my tabletop we dont use flanking rules or higher ground rules or anything unless abilities do anything special like that. If they were to remove the additional bonus to hit from the Z axis that would make people not just want to always climb. At that point the benefit of being high up is wasting others resources for them to be able to attack.

Jaz

Last edited by Jazhara202; 21/10/20 05:49 AM.
D
D
Originally Posted by dmwyvern

Do you really think at least 1/4 of the D&D fans will buy this game? Most of players will be casual.
Larian has to sell far more copies than last time if they don't want to end up like Obsidian.

Most of players can play on casual mode.

journeyman
journeyman

I believe this is the way. Animations, intimidation shouts, sparks, whatever. There is big space for creativity.

Last edited by Zahur; 21/10/20 09:12 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I guess people don’t comprehend the fact that those added features like dishing advantage will highly impact advantage based classes that are not currently in the game, like barbarians & If xanathars get released at some point samurai. Also, there are crowd control spells like Fear will also be highly affected as the advantage effect will not be as good.

The majority of the folks here that are supporting Larians decisions in regard that flavor homebrew rules simply can’t see the future ahead and actually capture the picture that a minor change in the rules will lead to a snowball effect that in the end gonna alter the whole DnD mechanics.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard