Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Paaske Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
I was wondering if there were plans for implementing more Deities options for Clerics?

We might not have seen enough to guess which might resonate with the themes of the game but I feel like Tiamat perhaps should be presented due to her connection to the Githyanki and Red Dragons. But I understand if it messes with the potential narrative fighting red dragons, or other things related to the Githyanki. Being a cleric of Tiamat doesn't necessarily correlate to being a member of the splinter group of Cult of the Dragon.

On that note to anyone else reading this: Is there any deity that potentially could be connected to the narrative we've seen that feel missing?

Last edited by Paaske; 20/10/20 01:02 PM.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I imagine that this will come during or following EA.

I would also like an option for my non-Cleric PC to be a follower of a given deity, and possibly get small in-game acknowledgements of this. I know that the game mechanics do not care what your Rogue's religious beliefs are (especially now that Alignment is removed), but it makes sense for a follower of a god to get a better reaction from priests of that god, to recognise artefacts relating to that god, and to know enough about that religion that they could get some insight into a follower's motivations.

It would be nice to gain a +1 to suitable skills and rolls relating to your own religion, but even without this I would like the option. Probably not going to happen, but... well I live in hope.

Last edited by Sadurian; 20/10/20 01:30 PM.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Umberlee (quite connected to the city of BG, major temple there -- plus there are no gods in the game with the "tempest" domain), Asmodeus (ruler of Hell)

Last edited by dza101; 20/10/20 01:29 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
If memory serves, there is no Nature god. Like Sylvanus wasn't an option (was he?) and that would have been interesting. Mielikki would have been nice for my ranger. Granted, as previously said, this might be an Early Access thing. We don't even have druids.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
The Forgotten Realms has a few options for nature-loving religious types, but no, there is no single 'God of Nature' and BG3 has none of them available at present.

Eldath, Goddess of Peace (NG)
Malar, God of the Hunt (CE)
Mielikki, Goddess of Forests (NG)
Silvanus, God of Wild Nature (N)

It covers most 'shades' of druid, and there are others who cover aspects that might appear to be part of the natural world (Umberlee's sea aspect being an example). Of course, each campaign is slightly different so some deities might be removed or shuffled off to other duties.

So far, BG3 hasn't included any of them, but with Druids making an appearance, I imagine that Silvanus at least will be an option.

Last edited by Sadurian; 20/10/20 01:41 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think addin more deities would only make sense if we got more domains too... some of the very limited domain choices already don't make much sense for some of the gods on offer.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Sadurian
The Forgotten Realms has a few options for nature-loving religious types, but no, there is no single 'God of Nature' and BG3 has none of them available at present.

Eldath, Goddess of Peace (NG)
Malar, God of the Hunt (CE)
Mielikki, Goddess of Forests (NG)
Silvanus, God of Wild Nature (N)

It covers most 'shades' of druid, and there are others who cover aspects that might appear to be part of the natural world (Umberlee's sea aspect being an example). Of course, each campaign is slightly different so some deities might be removed or shuffled off to other duties.

So far, BG3 hasn't included any of them, but with Druids making an appearance, I imagine that Silvanus at least will be an option.

Yup, what I meant was that Early Access offers none of those smile There is no Nature god to chose from on the list.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, aside from more gods and getting to choose a god your PC is following or being faithless (which has some really nasty consequences in the world of FR), we need more cleric domains too.

Like all the conflicts you could have now if you went with life domain and chose Bhaal as your god for example... makes no sense.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by K.O.
If memory serves, there is no Nature god. Like Sylvanus wasn't an option (was he?) and that would have been interesting. Mielikki would have been nice for my ranger. Granted, as previously said, this might be an Early Access thing. We don't even have druids.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Nature_deities
Your memory has thoroughly betrayed you.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Argonaut

I must protest! Responding to the thread topic, which is asking for more Deity Options in the game and asking what could be added, I am confident that my memory is 100% accurate in that there is no Nature god option in the Early Access.

The FR have a bunch. Which is why I mentioned Mielikki and Silvanus. My memory did betray me in the spelling of Silvanus, however, influenced by the historical deity, often spelled Sylvanus. If this was an elaborate spelling correction, then I must concede.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Argonaut

I must protest! Responding to the thread topic, which is asking for more Deity Options in the game and asking what could be added, I am confident that my memory is 100% accurate in that there is no Nature god option in the Early Access.

The FR have a bunch. Which is why I mentioned Mielikki and Silvanus. My memory did betray me in the spelling of Silvanus, however, influenced by the historical deity, often spelled Sylvanus. If this was an elaborate spelling correction, then I must concede.

Lmao no I just got triggered from reading "there is no nature god" my bad.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
K
stranger
stranger
K
No apology needed. A pity really, that would have been one heck of a typo correction smile

addict
addict
Do Silvanus and Mielikki even have clerics? As far as I'm aware all priests of Silvanus are druids and all priests of Mielikki are rangers (it might be different in 5e though).

Deities I feel that should be added:

Auril (Goddess of Winter)
Malar (God of the Hunt)
Lathander (God of Birth & Renewal)
Torm (God of Courage)
Tymora (Goddess of Luck)
Umberlee (Goddess of the Sea)
Waukeen (Goddess of Trade)

I'd also love to see deity choice being tied to domain choice and in some cases to race as well.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Kendaric

Malar (God of the Hunt)
Torm (God of Courage)
Tymora (Goddess of Luck)

I'd also love to see deity choice being tied to domain choice and in some cases to race as well.

Agreed. Clerics should be limited to domains that match their gods and races should have the choice of appropriate pantheons. (Seldarine for elves, Morndinsamman for dwarves etc. in addition to Faerunian.)

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

Malar (God of the Hunt)
Torm (God of Courage)
Tymora (Goddess of Luck)

Agreed. Clerics should be limited to domains that match their gods and races should have the choice of appropriate pantheons. (Seldarine for elves, Morndinsamman for dwarves etc. in addition to Faerunian.)

Lolth Drow can only pick Lolth as their deity actually.

Limiting domains: NooooOOOooooooooOOoOOoOOOOOOooooo that goes so hard against DnD5e's design philosophy that I doubt Wizards of the Coast would allow it. Thats for you as a roleplaying player to fix yourself.

Deity isn't a game mechanic, it's a character choice. It will affect your social interactions, but shouldn't affect you in combat. If a player can't read the little information about the god they pick when and match that to the domain they picked, then what's it to the rest of us?

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
As somebody who usually plays cleric, I don't mind each god being open to each domain. You're going to like the abilities from some over others, so why not let you pick the god that fits right for your character?

For NPCs I think it would make more sense to try and follow the rule, just so that as a PC you might be able to figure out what domain of cleric a character is by their god choice and vice versa, but for PCs more freedom is better

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo

I have always seen religions as a social, rather than racial, construct. So if my dwarf cleric has grown up and trained a major dwarven settlement, she is likely yo follow one of the dwarven gods. If, however, she is born and raised in a human settlement, she might follow the religion of her parents or decide that one of the human gods better reflects her own worldview.

Just as you have Western people following Eastern religions in the real world, so the D&D religions should be open to any race.

Last edited by Sadurian; 21/10/20 11:49 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by dudeface
As somebody who usually plays cleric, I don't mind each god being open to each domain.

It's an issue when you are allowed to choose domains that your deity is opposed to, such as Light for Shar or Trickery for Tyr or Torm. The deity wouldn't grant such a cleric any spells or the Channel Divinity feat.

The issue isn't whether a Tyr cleric can choose Light instead of War, but when a cleric wants choose a domain their deity would be utterly opposed to. The PHB lists the availabe domains for most deities for a reason. It is required to preserve the integrity of the setting, in this case the Forgotten Realms.

Originally Posted by Sadurian

I have always seen religions as a social, rather than racial, construct. So if my dwarf cleric has grown up and trained a major dwarven settlement, she is likely yo follow one of the dwarven gods. If, however, she is born and raised in a human settlement, she might follow the religion of her parents or decide that one of the human gods better reflects her own worldview.

Just as you have Western people following Eastern religions in the real world, so the D&D religions should be open to any race.

Note that I said " in some cases", as the Faerûnian pantheon would still be open to all races as it should.
But the racial pantheons should not be open to anyone not from that race, there simply wouldn't be a dwarf following the Seldarine (elven gods) under normal circumstances.

Last edited by Kendaric; 21/10/20 12:10 PM.
addict
addict
That'd just pigeon hole people into a small couple of races to get the "right" domains and gods.

Oh you want to be a damage cleric instead of a heal bot or buffer? Gotta be X race and follow Y god.

Just doesn't sit right for me in a video game. And I tend to play flawed characters. Don't want my cleric relegated to X gods and Y domains. She's already flawed enough by not being something with a Wisdom bonus. Besides. Don't need a trickery domain cleric, already got one.

Used to being able to pick a deity based on character alignment. Least that's how my games have gone.

D
old hand
old hand
D
+1. Would love more options.

I was sad to see that 2 gods that I love werent options. I play a cleric of Light and Lathander wasent an option frown

I picked Helm because its sort of related but still. Sadpanda.jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard