Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#710469 21/10/20 02:10 PM
S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That so called romance in party night at camp is waaaay far from romance. It is a very low level grab what you can kind of one night stand. I mean your party members get aligned to be picked up by PC is a huge immersion breaker.

Another huge immersion breaker is nothing really changes in dialogs or personality of the companion with whom you made love a night before. There is just some kind of "what do you think about last night" option and it is completely empty.

I don't know what you guys over there understand from romance but the thing you implemented is not romance. It is just a low level one night stand.

And, please, get rid of those over the top facial expressions of PC during dialogs. They just look like teenagers who lack self esteem rather than an adventurer who is on an epic journey about life and death in a land full of magic and danger.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Correct, it is not Romance.

The developers could hardly market it as 'One-night stand screwing' though.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
I feel like Shadowheart's is the only one that could qualify

addict
addict
It will turn into romance if you pursue it to the end of the game. How many people have you slept with one time that wanted to spend the rest of their life with you right after?

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by sinogy
And, please, get rid of those over the top facial expressions of PC during dialogs. They just look like teenagers who lack self esteem rather than an adventurer who is on an epic journey about life and death in a land full of magic and danger.

to this I'd like to say that there is probably a thin line between 'over the top facial expressions' and the characters looking absolutely lifeless. its probably not that easy to implement in a completely natural way, since humans are so incredibly sensitive to mimics/facial recognition in general.

That so called romance in party night at camp is waaaay far from romance. It is a very low level grab what you can kind of one night stand. I mean your party members get aligned to be picked up by PC is a huge immersion breaker.

Another huge immersion breaker is nothing really changes in dialogs or personality of the companion with whom you made love a night before. There is just some kind of "what do you think about last night" option and it is completely empty.

about the romance thing, I also found it a bit unbelievable that everyone is suddenly into you. and like you said, it feels a bit empty when after that night the companion you romanced acts almost entirely like it never happened. The only companion for which I think a one night stand makes sense is Astarion (i mean, the dude probably wasn't allowed to have sex for over 200 years - you would be horny too).

S
stranger
stranger
S
Im under the impression this isn't meant to be the final version of this, but admittedly its only cuz of how ham-fisted and out of nowhere it is. No one could have looked at this and said "Yeah, this makes sense for this group who has known each other less then a week"

Githyanki girl especially, i didn't get her romance option but even the refusal sounded all kinds of off for her

[/quote] The only companion for which I think a one night stand makes sense is Astarion (i mean, the dude probably wasn't allowed to have sex for over 200 years - you would be horny too).[quote]

Completely agree with this, I had talked to him first and found it pretty natural only to then be wierded out by everyone else wanting it too

Last edited by SwordSaintSilver; 21/10/20 02:21 PM.
S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
It will turn into romance if you pursue it to the end of the game. How many people have you slept with one time that wanted to spend the rest of their life with you right after?

so you are just a person who can only think of extremes!

enthusiast
enthusiast
I mean, they could have easily made it a "We might as well, because neither of us knows if it's the last time" thing... but if it's really not the final version of these "romances", then it's a really cheap marketing gag to sell EA on.

S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Sigi98

to this I'd like to say that there is probably a thin line between 'over the top facial expressions' and the characters looking absolutely lifeless. its probably not that easy to implement in a completely natural way, since humans are so incredibly sensitive to mimics/facial recognition in general.

about the romance thing, I also found it a bit unbelievable that everyone is suddenly into you. and like you said, it feels a bit empty when after that night the companion you romanced acts almost entirely like it never happened. The only companion for which I think a one night stand makes sense is Astarion (i mean, the dude probably wasn't allowed to have sex for over 200 years - you would be horny too).

I should have made a video of my wood elf ranger's facial expressions during that night. It is beyond pathetic. It was like my char was mentally challenged and never saw a woman naked before!
Well if there is a thin line then you should be extra careful not to cross it. I mean this 2020 and there are tons of great examples to look after. Witcher 3 is a 5 years old game and has 1000 times better facial expressions than BG3.

Last edited by sinogy; 21/10/20 02:27 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
I should have made a video of my wood elf ranger's facial expressions during that night. It is beyond pathetic. It was like my char was mentally challenged and never saw a woman naked before!
Well if there is a thin line then you should be extra careful not to cross it. I mean this 2020 and there are tons of great examples to look after. Witcher 3 is a 5 years old game and has 1000 times better facial expressions than BG3.

i get what you mean, but this is still EA and Larian said themselves that they know that some things still look a bit janky, but they're gonna fix it.

Last edited by Sigi98; 21/10/20 02:29 PM.
S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by SwordSaintSilver
Im under the impression this isn't meant to be the final version of this, but admittedly its only cuz of how ham-fisted and out of nowhere it is. No one could have looked at this and said "Yeah, this makes sense for this group who has known each other less then a week"

Githyanki girl especially, i didn't get her romance option but even the refusal sounded all kinds of off for her

The only companion for which I think a one night stand makes sense is Astarion (i mean, the dude probably wasn't allowed to have sex for over 200 years - you would be horny too).

Completely agree with this, I had talked to him first and found it pretty natural only to then be wierded out by everyone else wanting it too

Well, Astarion is another example of being over the top in this game. The dude seems like he will dry hump you during a fight laugh

O
journeyman
journeyman
O

The only companion for which I think a one night stand makes sense is Astarion (i mean, the dude probably wasn't allowed to have sex for over 200 years - you would be horny too).

....What? Githyanki party hard and one night stand all over the place, they don't even have monogamy as a concept

What wouldn't make any sense for Lae'zel is actually falling in love with you, not without some total realignment of her worldview, Githyanki don't "do" love, dating, or romance

I have a feeling Lae'zel will be the hardest character to actually form a romantic bond with, and we already know she won't be monogamous, because he people don't do that, it's not a concept they were ever taught. Githyanki are bred as warriors, they lay eggs and leave them for someone else to raise, they might have an attachment with another gith and be overjoyed when they see them, but when they're deployed they're deployed, and they lay with whoever catches their eye while they are.

Last edited by override367; 21/10/20 02:39 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

That's a general issue with the game, though... the "cinematic" approach was a bad idea to begin with, to be honest. It's almost like Larian isn't trying to make a Baldur's Gate follow up, but a Dragon Age 4 or - better - DA Origins 2, while, sadly neither having the directing nor the writing skills necessary to really make it work.

Last edited by WarBaby2; 21/10/20 02:35 PM.
S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Sigi98

i get what you mean, but this is still EA and Larian said themselves that they know that some things still look a bit janky, but they're gonna fix it.

Well I know this is EA and that's why I point out things to be fixed. Otherwise, we'd just wait and hope.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O

Well, Astarion is another example of being over the top in this game. The dude seems like he will dry hump you during a fight laugh

He's a vampire spawn, permanently stuck between thirsty and thirsty

The only bare beginnings of a romance plot in Chapter 1 is Shadowheart, but the rest of them are just sex which makes a lot of sense given the impending doom and the fact that everyone has the body of an athlete

Last edited by override367; 21/10/20 02:38 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Keep in mind that this is only the first act: these are the opening motions of will -become- a romance later on in the game!

The 'hookups' at this point in time are just that; they're intended to be whirlwind, potentially alcohol-induced nights of revelry. Will they stay as just that? Or will you keep going back? Find out in Act 2 and beyond!

D
old hand
old hand
D
Honeslly ive seen alot of conversations that were triggered when the 'trigger' wasent met yet. And vice versa.

Ive seen Gale mention how he was happy how I took the news about his black hole of item eating ness while he hadent even told me that yet....

I think at the moment things arent done yet, not in the proper order yet and obviously would be spread out over the complete game normally while they currently might not be restricted at all.

Id chalk it up to the whole 'its EA, this isent the final form of dialogue and romance yet' tbh

addict
addict
Ive seen Gale mention how he was happy how I took the news about his black hole of item eating ness while he hadent even told me that yet....

Astarion constantly talking about Cazador when I have no idea who that is yet...

S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by override367

He's a vampire spawn, permanently stuck between thirsty and thirsty

The only bare beginnings of a romance plot in Chapter 1 is Shadowheart, but the rest of them are just sex which is definitely not romance, and doesn't necessarily lead to it. have none of you used Tinder?

It is just a one way of seeing things. There are multiple variations that shape one's character. For example, he doesn't act like a person who got stuck in a desperate situation for a long time yet has managed to survive. He is just designed to be spoiled horny man child! Well maybe it is not intentional maybe developers lack qualifications to design believable characters or maybe they just don't care about little but important details and just wanna sell their products to their target audience as soon as possible and I am not among that target audience.

Last edited by sinogy; 21/10/20 02:43 PM.
S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Mister Monster
Keep in mind that this is only the first act: these are the opening motions of will -become- a romance later on in the game!

The 'hookups' at this point in time are just that; they're intended to be whirlwind, potentially alcohol-induced nights of revelry. Will they stay as just that? Or will you keep going back? Find out in Act 2 and beyond!

This is just wishful thinking. Companions are just literally alinged to be picked up at that night like red-light district prostitutes or as if high school horny teenagers who just wait for an oportunity to get laid. These are supposed to be people who have extreme backgrounds and immense experience. We are talking about people who can get into love affairs with a goddess or seen and done things with demons which granted them immense powers so that they have gone extraordianry adventures. However, somehow they get easily picked up to get laid by a person they just know for a week while they are in a mortal danger.

Do you really think it is not immersion breaker than go on have fun playing this game. I am happy for you.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard