Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
Obviously, anything that was intentionally included that is broken should be fixed. Just as obviously, resources should be spent on adding content to complete your vision of the game.

However, before making any design changes based on forum feedback, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a larger sample size. Just because someone submits a complaint and people dogpile it here in the forums so it seems popular, does not necessarily mean the majority of the players agree. The number of registered users of these forums is likely a fraction of your actuall customer base. The number of active useres on these forums is an even smaller number.

I see many popular changes in these forums that I don't agree with. And I *THINK* there would be more oposition to these changes outside of this small sample size. It would be nice to KNOW.

So using resources to make major changes (party size, etc.) should be based on more than the vocal minority here in the forums. Please implement a survey via email or in-game or something to get a larger sample size.

Thanks!

apprentice
apprentice
The purpose of Early Access is to gather as much information and feedback as they can.

In addition to the Forums they also check Reddit, and supposedly Steam (though from what I've seen in Steam I wouldn't blame them for avoiding it completely). There is a Feedback option in the launcher for the game though. I think they've given people a more than adequate number of ways to provide feedback, though I do hope that a lot of the people who bought into early access are using their time to let their thoughts be known.

The truth is though that the people who are more passionate about the game are going to post more, and their opinions may differ from yours. Really people aren't reviewing one game here, but four, all depending on what they want out of this title, whether that be
  • A DoS game with D&D flavor
  • An exact replica of Baldur's Gate 1/2
  • A one hundred percent faithful adaptation of 5e
  • As close to 5e as they can get while still understanding that some changes will be made adapting this to a video game

From what I've seen looking through here as well as Reddit I see most of these groups being fairly vocal, and typically the most vocal group wins. It's also going to be impossible to one hundred percent please any of those groups, and there will obviously have to be some compromises on the way to release.

I definitely hope that as many people as possible make their voices heard though. It'll be exciting to see what the final version of the game ends up looking like.

Last edited by DarkSeldarine; 21/10/20 11:15 AM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
As I said in another thread:

I doubt Larian looks at feedback and implement changes that are "popular on the forums".
A good designer analyses what the issues people have, and looks at changes they think would be good within their vision of the game.

Things like "Realtime with pause" is a vocal minority issue, and I doubt Larian will look at that and go "yeah let's totally change our vision for this game". I think they can look at it and see WHY people think RTWP is "needed".
One thing that comes up a lot is "Turnbased combat is too slow" or "not fun to just press attack each turn"

These are mechanical issues that can be fixed in more ways than one.

Other feedback such as "Don't make all the movement abilities into bonus actions" stems from other things. Some of us feel it strays too much from DnD5e, and diminishes the Rogue class significantly. I also feel it takes tactics away from the game.

Things like "surfaces" and "barrelmancy" can be tweaked, and don't need to be removed from the game. To me the issue isn't surfaces, but the imbalance something so huge adds to the pretty tightly balanced DnD5e combat ruleset.

A Survey is a good idea though, and honestly I'd love to see EA be a testing ground. Would be nice with a change being implemented, and people be allowed to vote on "was this more or less fun" sort of thing.

I have faith in Larian though, they seem to know what they are doing with EA

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
Obviously, anything that was intentionally included that is broken should be fixed. Just as obviously, resources should be spent on adding content to complete your vision of the game.

However, before making any design changes based on forum feedback, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a larger sample size. Just because someone submits a complaint and people dogpile it here in the forums so it seems popular, does not necessarily mean the majority of the players agree. The number of registered users of these forums is likely a fraction of your actuall customer base. The number of active useres on these forums is an even smaller number.

I see many popular changes in these forums that I don't agree with. And I *THINK* there would be more oposition to these changes outside of this small sample size. It would be nice to KNOW.

So using resources to make major changes (party size, etc.) should be based on more than the vocal minority here in the forums. Please implement a survey via email or in-game or something to get a larger sample size.

Thanks!

Totally and utterly agree.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
One way to do it was to make changes optional ala Gift Bags, and then use telemetry to see how many chose to go back to previous iterations of a mechanic.

Last edited by Slapstick; 21/10/20 12:07 PM.
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
i can already see the majority voting against their own interest.
as seen in democracies around the world

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Aurgelmir
As I said in another thread:

I doubt Larian looks at feedback and implement changes that are "popular on the forums".
A good designer analyses what the issues people have, and looks at changes they think would be good within their vision of the game.

Things like "Realtime with pause" is a vocal minority issue, and I doubt Larian will look at that and go "yeah let's totally change our vision for this game". I think they can look at it and see WHY people think RTWP is "needed".
One thing that comes up a lot is "Turnbased combat is too slow" or "not fun to just press attack each turn"

These are mechanical issues that can be fixed in more ways than one.

Other feedback such as "Don't make all the movement abilities into bonus actions" stems from other things. Some of us feel it strays too much from DnD5e, and diminishes the Rogue class significantly. I also feel it takes tactics away from the game.

Things like "surfaces" and "barrelmancy" can be tweaked, and don't need to be removed from the game. To me the issue isn't surfaces, but the imbalance something so huge adds to the pretty tightly balanced DnD5e combat ruleset.

A Survey is a good idea though, and honestly I'd love to see EA be a testing ground. Would be nice with a change being implemented, and people be allowed to vote on "was this more or less fun" sort of thing.

I have faith in Larian though, they seem to know what they are doing with EA

Here's a funny one for you: My experience with Larian didn't start until well after the hype for BG 3 was rolling, although still well before EA was announced. In that time, I got DOS 2. There were two reasons for that:

1. I have always hated TB combat in video games, to the point where I just really didn't play them, and my first taste was ToEE. So I got DOS 2 because I wanted to get a handle on how they handled the combat. I'm neither for, nor against adding RTWP, even though I actually do prefer it.

2. I wanted to see what Larian was about as far as world building/gameplay outside of just combat.

After playing, I decided that I was curious enough to come in to EA, knowing full well what I was getting myself into. I've used the Crash Report when I had a crash, and I've left lots of feedback here. At this time, all of my posts on these forums are in this game's sub forums. I got the game through GoG because I hate Steam, even though I have a Steam account.

Their process for dealing with feedback was laid out in one of the articles attached to the launcher, and I actually read all of them. They read it, take it to committee, and do what needs to be done from that, and I like that approach. It takes all the positions provided, and weighs them against what their design goals are, and, more importantly, what WotC will approve, because, at the end of the day, despite all the "it's not D&D" posts, everything was approved by WotC, and they, more than anyone else, get to define what is, or isn't D&D. I may not agree with everything they do, but they own it, and they are free to do whatever they like with it.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Originally Posted by DarkSeldarine

The truth is though that the people who are more passionate about the game are going to post more, and their opinions may differ from yours. Really people aren't reviewing one game here, but four, all depending on what they want out of this title, whether that be
  • A DoS game with D&D flavor
  • An exact replica of Baldur's Gate 1/2
  • A one hundred percent faithful adaptation of 5e
  • As close to 5e as they can get while still understanding that some changes will be made adapting this to a video game

I vote for:

• A DoS game with D&D flavor 10-15%
  • A 90 percent faithful adaptation of 5e (90% because it is a PC game after all)

So basically number 3 for the most part.

journeyman
journeyman
I would be happy to participate in any survey they send. I really want this game to be great and want to help out as much as I can. I never purchased an EA game nor.did I report any bugs in games before. Here I try to report bugs as I find them and participate on the forums - always in a friendly manner - the internet is angry for no reason too often smile

That said, I'm sure there are many players or there that will only engage in feedback it would be a convenient in-game survey. And I definitely want thier opinion to be taken into account.

addict
OP Offline
addict
I wonder if part of the reason I disagree with many threads is that I never played DoS1/2 because they weren't DnD? So I cant feel like this is DoS 3.

Link Copied to Clipboard