Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by sinogy
This is just wishful thinking. Companions are just literally alinged to be picked up at that night like red-light district prostitutes or as if high school horny teenagers who just wait for an oportunity to get laid. These are supposed to be people who have extreme backgrounds and immense experience. We are talking about people who can get into love affairs with a goddess or seen and done things with demons which granted them immense powers so that they have gone extraordianry adventures. However, somehow they get easily picked up to get laid by a person they just know for a week while they are in a mortal danger.

Do you really think it is not immersion breaker than go on have fun playing this game. I am happy for you.

Well, turns out being able to affort an IP and time at a motion capture studio doesn't make you a Chris Avellone... who would have funked? wink

addict
addict
so you are just a person who can only think of extremes!

Are you going to sleep with me if I say yes? wink

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
It will turn into romance if you pursue it to the end of the game. How many people have you slept with one time that wanted to spend the rest of their life with you right after?

so you are just a person who can only think of extremes!

How so? In my own experiences, I've had plenty of dates that didn't turn into anything else, whether they ended up in the sack or not. I've also had a fair share of nights in the sack that didn't start from, or end up in anything like a romance. I don't view any of that as "extreme", just part of life. I've met plenty of people that I feel like the world would be better off w/out. Why would it be unusual to run into that kind of scenario in a game?

Originally Posted by Mister Monster
Keep in mind that this is only the first act: these are the opening motions of will -become- a romance later on in the game!

The 'hookups' at this point in time are just that; they're intended to be whirlwind, potentially alcohol-induced nights of revelry. Will they stay as just that? Or will you keep going back? Find out in Act 2 and beyond!

This is just wishful thinking. Companions are just literally alinged to be picked up at that night like red-light district prostitutes or as if high school horny teenagers who just wait for an oportunity to get laid. These are supposed to be people who have extreme backgrounds and immense experience. We are talking about people who can get into love affairs with a goddess or seen and done things with demons which granted them immense powers so that they have gone extraordianry adventures. However, somehow they get easily picked up to get laid by a person they just know for a week while they are in a mortal danger.

Do you really think it is not immersion breaker than go on have fun playing this game. I am happy for you.

So the only way a person could take any interest in you is if they're a prostitute, and yet you were claiming someone else's view of this situation was extreme? I can see plenty of reasons to want to blow off some steam in a hot and sweaty sexual encounter, especially in the current predicament they're in. Who knows, maybe tomorrow you're a mind flayer, might as well do something you'll regret, or regret not doing, if you can remember your past life, while you have a chance. Sorry that they didn't wine and dine you, and bring you flowers, but to flip your argument back on you here, it's a life and death situation, and fiction is full of relationships, for better or worse, that spring up out of these situations, and it doesn't have to be particularly romantic.

But tell me, since you seem to have a lot of insight into how this unfolds later in the game, exactly how do these romances play out in Act II and III? You can put it in spoiler tags if you want.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Keep in mind that this is only the first act: these are the opening motions of will -become- a romance later on in the game!

The 'hookups' at this point in time are just that; they're intended to be whirlwind, potentially alcohol-induced nights of revelry. Will they stay as just that? Or will you keep going back? Find out in Act 2 and beyond!

What the actual hell are you talking about?

Love affairs with goddesses? Lol what?

Let's go one at a time:

Lae'zel: A githyanki, they party hard, they don't have monogomy. If you got Lae'zel pregnant, she wouldn't even tell you until after laying her eggs in a creche
Wyll: An emotionally fragile man who tries to put on a front that he's a big hero who does things heroes are supposed to do. Banging Sexy Ladies Is a Thing Heroes Do Right?!
Asterion: A vampire who's primary job is half whore and half spy. Horny af
Gale: A pretty normal wizard who obviously has access to some kind of family or organizational wealth for his research that he's lost access to. Probably because of his PROBLEM
Shadowheart: Doesn't do a one night hookup to my knowledge under any circumstance

Which one of these people is fucking gods? What things has Wyll "seen and done" with Demons? What about Asterion or Lae'zel's personalities indicates to you that they don't frequently engage in meaningless sex?

Last edited by override367; 21/10/20 03:14 PM.
D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by override367

Let's go one at a time:

Lae'zel: A githyanki, they party hard, they don't have monogomy. If you got Lae'zel pregnant, she wouldn't even tell you until after laying her eggs in a creche
Wyll: An emotionally fragile man who tries to put on a front that he's a big hero who does things heroes are supposed to do. Banging Sexy Ladies Is a Thing Heroes Do Right?!
Gale: A pretty normal wizard who obviously has access to some kind of family or organizational wealth for his research that he's lost access to.
Shadowheart: Doesn't do a one night hookup to my knowledge under any circumstance

Which one of these people is fucking gods? What things has Wyll "seen and done" with Demons? What about Asterion or Lae'zel's personalities indicates to you that they don't frequently engage in meaningless sex?

Gale didetn fuck a god per se but basicly said Mystra came to him and he had a massive crush on her.

N
old hand
old hand
N
I think the real romance part comes later. The one night stand is only during act 1. If you get one of your companion to have an excellent opinion, this is where I think the real romance starts, but later.

So far I got approval high with Shadowheart, but it doesn't seem to create new entries in our dialogues for romance. I guess you need to get higher than that.

veteran
veteran
Sorry, OP not with you. A number of my real world 'romances' have started this way. It's time for celebration, inhibitions are down and people are realizing how shared circumstances and joint tasks have brought them together.

My favorite is the slow burn, you can enjoy a bottle of wine and kiss with Shadowheart and she (consistent with the strictures of her deity) create some distance the next day.

As time goes on we will see if attraction and desire become lurve.

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 21/10/20 03:28 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
That so called romance in party night at camp is waaaay far from romance. It is a very low level grab what you can kind of one night stand. I mean your party members get aligned to be picked up by PC is a huge immersion breaker.

Another huge immersion breaker is nothing really changes in dialogs or personality of the companion with whom you made love a night before. There is just some kind of "what do you think about last night" option and it is completely empty.

I don't know what you guys over there understand from romance but the thing you implemented is not romance. It is just a low level one night stand.

And, please, get rid of those over the top facial expressions of PC during dialogs. They just look like teenagers who lack self esteem rather than an adventurer who is on an epic journey about life and death in a land full of magic and danger.

It may be worse than you think.
10 common reactions to Trauma
A lot of the defense I've seen for the writing and characters is that it centers around trauma.
"9. Sexual relationships may also suffer after a traumatic experience. Many people find it difficult to feel intimate or to have sexual relationships again. This is especially true for those who have been sexually assaulted, since in addition to the lack of trust, sex itself can be a reminder of the assault."

FR Wiki including bibliography
"As a people, githyanki were generally proud and xenophobic. They viewed all other races with contempt[26] and were generally unwilling to learn anything about other cultures, including other languages.[14] They viewed Material Plane–dwellers as ignorant and incompetent, or, in worse cases, as potential slaves. They could only bring themselves to use magic items not of githyanki design if they were extremely powerful, and even then by rationalizing that any such items must have been designed with githyanki knowledge to begin with. It was uncommon, but not impossible, for a githyanki to overcome the prejudices of its people and start regarding others with respect."
"Within their communities, githyanki typically lived alone, unless they chose to share their dwellings with someone close. Since there were no family units, those bonds were most common among training partners."

10 Most Common Reactions to Trauma by Oxford Clinical Psychology including bibliography
"9. Sexual relationships may also suffer after a traumatic experience. Many people find it difficult to feel intimate or to have sexual relationships again. This is especially true for those who have been sexually assaulted, since in addition to the lack of trust, sex itself can be a reminder of the assault."

Free pass.

Gale: A pretty normal wizard who obviously has access to some kind of family or organizational wealth for his research that he's lost access to. Probably because of his PROBLEM

when I find a pertinent article I will link it but the trauma one applies here as well. There isn't that much research into how obsession and idolatry of someone affects casual encounters that I can source as of yet that pertains to this example.

Free pass, too incomplete.

Last edited by Argonaut; 21/10/20 03:46 PM.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S

Let's go one at a time:

So obviously you haven't played the game long enough or with the correct save checks.
Gale is faaaar from a normal wizard. Spoiler alert but you earned it. he was in love with a goddess and in search for godly powerful magic to get her back that's how he got into that time magic bomb situtaion. He was so poweful that he was able to move towers as if they are nothing. These ae his own words.
Wyll comes from a noble family he was super rich and privilaged. He was sent to a martial school to get stronger but he chose to pact with a powerful she demon who ganted him extraordinary powers. He used thaose powers generously and eraned a lot of favor and also enemies.

I don't know man next time if you play an RPG do not skip dialogs or just do not speak about things you don't know.

Last edited by sinogy; 21/10/20 03:44 PM.
old hand
old hand
Ok, but where did it say he slept with her? I'm in love with a lot of ladies that I've never actually slept with.

D
old hand
old hand
D

Let's go one at a time:

So obviously you haven't played the game long enough or with the correct save checks.
Gale is faaaar from a normal wizard. Spoiler alert but you earned it. he was in love with a goddess and in search for godly powerful magic to get her back that's how he got into that time magic bomb situtaion. He was so poweful that he was able to move towers as if they are nothing. These ae his own words.
Wyll comes from a noble family he was super rich and privilaged. He was sent to a martial school to get stronger but he chose to pact with a powerful she demon who ganted him extraordinary powers. He used thaose powers generously and eraned a lot of favor and also enemies.

I don't know man next time if you play an RPG do not skip dialogs or just do not speak about things you don't know.

To be fair. Some dialogue need skill checks and can be easily missed.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I feel like Shadowheart's is the only one that could qualify

I dunno. I got a snog then the day after was The Day After and "I regret it now". Which was its own sort of awesomeness.

Last edited by vometia; 21/10/20 04:16 PM. Reason: I still can't type

J'aime le fromage.
S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Sorry, OP not with you. A number of my real world 'romances' have started this way. It's time for celebration, inhibitions are down and people are realizing how shared circumstances and joint tasks have brought them together.

My favorite is the slow burn, you can enjoy a bottle of wine and kiss with Shadowheart and she (consistent with the strictures of her deity) create some distance the next day.

Maybe because you are just a regular no one. Is it possible?
However, in this game, we are in a high fantasy settings with the characters who should behave appropriately according to their experience and settings they are into. Not according to your real life experience which no one wants to play as a video game.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Demoulius

Let's go one at a time:

Gale: A pretty normal wizard who obviously has access to some kind of family or organizational wealth for his research that he's lost access to.

Gale didetn fuck a god per se but basicly said Mystra came to him and he had a massive crush on her.

I'm glad they're keeping to the current lore, Mystra is super active in the world, and if you are going to cause a magical cataclysm, expect a visit from her, Elminster, or Storm

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo

<cough>

Wow.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

However, in this game, we are in a high fantasy settings with the characters who should behave appropriately according to their experience and settings they are into. Not according to your real life experience which no one wants to play as a video game.

It's in the Forgotten realms, the Sword Coast

A fantasy setting that has no social mores against hookups

Nobody is making you hook up with any of your party members

I can cite you textual evidence of the behavior your companions display being normal for the setting if you want, and if you don't want it and prefer to stick to realism, I suggest you look up what happens at the Olympic Village every time the Olympics is held

Last edited by override367; 21/10/20 03:54 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

I'm glad they're keeping to the current lore, Mystra is super active in the world, and if you are going to cause a magical cataclysm, expect a visit from her, Elminster, or Storm

Forgotten Realms wiki article for Mystra including bibliography

1 - "Toward the end of her reign as the keeper of the Weave, she had grown tired and bitter, fed up with the schemes, maneuverings, and blatant attacks that her preeminent position attracted from every power-hungry being, sycophant, and fawning parasite, for century after century. Her pride in her status, and the kindness and respect she received from those that aided or worshiped her for other than magical gain, kept her hopes alive."

2 - "As the centuries passed, Mystra had grown tired of the ceaseless grasping for power through pleading, flattery, or treachery. She and her portfolio were the target of gods and mortals alike and that took its toll on the Mother of All Magic."

Mystra was super active in the world. This is post time of troubles.

Just for contrast, here is the wiki entry on Gale.

"Gale has one ambition: to become the greatest wizard Faerûn has ever known. Yet his thirst for magic led to disaster. A Netherese Destruction Orb beats in his chest, counting down to an explosion that can level a city. Gale is confident he'll overcome it, but time is not on his side."

Totally 'accurate' Mystra and FR Lore here yep no discrepancies.

Last edited by Argonaut; 21/10/20 04:10 PM.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Argonaut
That so called romance in party night at camp is waaaay far from romance. It is a very low level grab what you can kind of one night stand. I mean your party members get aligned to be picked up by PC is a huge immersion breaker.

Another huge immersion breaker is nothing really changes in dialogs or personality of the companion with whom you made love a night before. There is just some kind of "what do you think about last night" option and it is completely empty.

I don't know what you guys over there understand from romance but the thing you implemented is not romance. It is just a low level one night stand.

And, please, get rid of those over the top facial expressions of PC during dialogs. They just look like teenagers who lack self esteem rather than an adventurer who is on an epic journey about life and death in a land full of magic and danger.

It may be worse than you think.
10 common reactions to Trauma
A lot of the defense I've seen for the writing and characters is that it centers around trauma.

FR Wiki including bibliography
"As a people, githyanki were generally proud and xenophobic. They viewed all other races with contempt[26] and were generally unwilling to learn anything about other cultures, including other languages.[14] They viewed Material Plane–dwellers as ignorant and incompetent, or, in worse cases, as potential slaves. They could only bring themselves to use magic items not of githyanki design if they were extremely powerful, and even then by rationalizing that any such items must have been designed with githyanki knowledge to begin with. It was uncommon, but not impossible, for a githyanki to overcome the prejudices of its people and start regarding others with respect."
"Within their communities, githyanki typically lived alone, unless they chose to share their dwellings with someone close. Since there were no family units, those bonds were most common among training partners."

10 Most Common Reactions to Trauma by Oxford Clinical Psychology including bibliography

Free pass.

when I find a pertinent article I will link it but the trauma one applies here as well. There isn't that much research into how obsession and idolatry of someone affects casual encounters that I can source as of yet that pertains to this example.

Free pass, too incomplete.

Hey, as a victim of sexual assault, I'd thank you to gtfo trying to say that we can't have consequence free hookups, because you're wrong

I would prefer for someone like Wyll, that to actually develop a ROMANCE with him that instead of hooking up the first time you guys party together, you talk instead (like with Shadowheart)

Last edited by override367; 21/10/20 04:15 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Common
1. occurring, found, or done often; prevalent.

Impossible
1. not able to occur, exist, or be done.

Take it up with Oxford Clinical and the findings of thousands of test subjects. Stop trying to bring yourself into it. Address the facts and evidence in their entirety. Thank you.

Some other good reading:
Statistical Deviation
What is a Statistical Anomaly

Last edited by Argonaut; 21/10/20 04:25 PM.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sadurian

<cough>

Wow.

I presume they meant the PC, not the player...

J'aime le fromage.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard