Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Originally Posted by About47Pandas
I kinda feel like while this game takes a lot from D&D 5e... I think that expecting it to be 1:1 from 5e is kinda silly. Taking Inspiration from 5e is awesome but it should still be its own game.

Then drop the dnd name and make there own up inspired by dnd like pathfinder. Op is spot on

N
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by Minsc and Boo
Pretty much agree with everything you said here, except your take on sneak attack. While I agree sneak attack should proc on offhand hits, having sneak attack as a separate key to a normal attack gives player's the choice to use sneak attack damage which is what the PHB specifically states, "you can..." Also, offhand attacks don't proc your ability modifier because you need the fighting style: two-weapon fighting.

honestly i could take it either way. options are always good but having buttons for each attack with or without sneak attack will clutter the ui.
also i have seen videos of beginners often forgetting to select the special sneak attack and just attacking normally, this obviously wont affect people on this forum but is to be considered.

as for ability modifier for offhand: i was referring to the to hit bonus which is currently missing. you should not be getting positiv ability mod to dmg but to hit. this is currently backwards which i consider a bug.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sigi98
Originally Posted by lvl20DM
The Rogue really has had much of its flavor stripped away by giving jump/disengage as a bonus to everyone. Just changing that would help solidify the identity of the class in this game.

Expertise really should be in the game, too. Whether it's "needed" to pick locks is not the point - it allows you to further identify what kind of rogue the character is. It also solidifies the Rogue as a highly skilled character.

this pretty much sums it up.

Its not like they are unskilled without it. They maintain the 6v4 proficiency balance (unless youre ane elf then get perception auto added in so you can be 6v5 or 7v5/4).

Its not like im against D&D here, I DM 15 campaigns and run 3 sessions a week. I get the game, Im just not going to sit here and freak out over a warm and fuzzy like knowing you have expertise even though you can't use it when there are a million more high priority issues and you have to play the odds on the fact that a defining characteristic of the class will eventually be in there. It just isn't now - and it takes nothing away from EA by not being there. I guess I am in the camp where, considering jack of all trades is going to have to be added in at some point too, I am not concerned as to whether or not it is an "If" conversation, just a "when" and I don't think its high enough priority to drop everything to dump it in right now.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by wpmaura

Originally Posted by About47Pandas
I kinda feel like while this game takes a lot from D&D 5e... I think that expecting it to be 1:1 from 5e is kinda silly. Taking Inspiration from 5e is awesome but it should still be its own game.

Then drop the dnd name and make there own up inspired by dnd like pathfinder. Op is spot on

If you are not homebrewing at least a tiny bit of D&D, you are not playing D&D.
But that's my take :p

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
The best way to see if your home-brewed game is really D&D is to publish it as a new game.

The WoTC lawyers will very quickly see to it that you know if it is D&D or not.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Sneak attack is also only ONCE per turn, is not "automatic" as long the conditions apply, that would make the Rogue just insane...

N
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by Chacineiro
Sneak attack is also only ONCE per turn, is not "automatic" as long the conditions apply, that would make the Rogue just insane...

once per turn is one of the conditions. i thought it was obvious. probably my bad.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Originally Posted by Orbax
It just isn't now

Youre too trusting. Until larian says it missing is a bug/its just not implemented yet because its not finished i am assuming they simply forgot about it and we will never see it unless we nag them constantly.

They are trying to design the whole game. In addition to them handling the specific game and story they are making, they have to handle their mechanical implementation of the things that are not covered by the system but need to exist in a computer game adaptation of it. This gives them three distinct things. The base rules as a block, their non mechanical game design and story, the required adaptations to implement it all together. This means they do not have their minds focused so intently on comparing specific subsections of the rules to their game like a player trying to use understanding of the system to better understand this game might. This amount of specific focus is simply not going to be there.

Whats needed perhaps are full time class advocates and rules lawyers to constantly be pointing out conflicts to them and trying to bring out the richness of class flavor. Even if its not so important mechanically in the game as it currently is, the nice feeling about conceptually being super-skilled at certain things is enough to make the difference between picking one class over another. The sensation of 'being a rogue' can be made or broken by the knowledge of those skill checks being strongly in your favor. Many of the current complaints and concerns of the game do not need immediate fixes in the game itself and could be solved by simply having developer aknowledgement and the reassurance that it will be fixed at some point.

The mechanics create the fantasy. When your class has a certain mechanic, this grabs the imagination and immerses you in the class. Things like the current abjurers bonus hitpoints counting differently than it does in pnp actually affects your immersion because it changes the way you conceptualize what this ability is doing. The mechanics effectively are the character, and so for a rogue to be skilled, the mechanics must say they are or it wont feel right, you will not be immersing, but pretending on top of an immersion, your rogue will not be skilled but will only think it is.

Last edited by Katj; 21/10/20 06:29 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard