Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Cleric of Innuendo
Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by sinogy
Maybe because you are just a regular no one. Is it possible?

<cough>

Wow.

I presume they meant the PC, not the player...

In context, I'm not so sure. However, benefit of the doubt and all that.

Joined: Mar 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by override367
I feel like Shadowheart's is the only one that could qualify

I dunno. I got a snog then the day after was The Day After and "I regret it now". Which was its own sort of awesomeness.


It was. We really needed an awkward breakfast moment to make it complete. "So . . . Uh . . . Good eggs huh? mmm. what should we do today? "

Joined: Jul 2014
O
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Argonaut
Originally Posted by override367

I'm glad they're keeping to the current lore, Mystra is super active in the world, and if you are going to cause a magical cataclysm, expect a visit from her, Elminster, or Storm

Forgotten Realms wiki article for Mystra including bibliography

1 - "Toward the end of her reign as the keeper of the Weave, she had grown tired and bitter, fed up with the schemes, maneuverings, and blatant attacks that her preeminent position attracted from every power-hungry being, sycophant, and fawning parasite, for century after century. Her pride in her status, and the kindness and respect she received from those that aided or worshiped her for other than magical gain, kept her hopes alive."

2 - "As the centuries passed, Mystra had grown tired of the ceaseless grasping for power through pleading, flattery, or treachery. She and her portfolio were the target of gods and mortals alike and that took its toll on the Mother of All Magic."

Mystra was super active in the world. This is post time of troubles.

Just for contrast, here is the wiki entry on Gale.

"Gale has one ambition: to become the greatest wizard Faerûn has ever known. Yet his thirst for magic led to disaster. A Netherese Destruction Orb beats in his chest, counting down to an explosion that can level a city. Gale is confident he'll overcome it, but time is not on his side."

Totally 'accurate' Mystra and FR Lore here yep no discrepancies.





Please click the source on that Wiki, and ask yourself what timeline a book written in 1989 would take place in.

You are talking about Mystra, the goddess of magic after Mystral, and keeper of the weave for many centuries, and murdered by Cyric.

I'm talking about Mystra, the new goddess of magic who arose at the same time the most high of Netheril was put down by Elminster and the Srinshee over Myth Drannor

Mystra is only ~14 years old at the time of baldur's gate 3! Citation: "The Herald", Ed Greenwood, 2014, about the Second Sundering, the reestablishment of the weave, and the birth of Mystra

Last edited by override367; 21/10/20 04:30 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by sinogy
Maybe because you are just a regular no one. Is it possible?

<cough>

Wow.

I presume they meant the PC, not the player...

That was my take away from it, and, it's true. In so far as a Custom Character is concerned, we have our backstory that we make up, and nobody else may have ever even heard of us.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Cleric of Innuendo
Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Originally Posted by override367
Mystra is only ~14 years old at the time of baldur's gate 3! Citation: "The Herald", Ed Greenwood, 2014, about the Second Sundering, the reestablishment of the weave, and the birth of Mystra

Ed Greenwood?

What would he know about Forgotten Realms lore?

T'cha.

Joined: Jul 2014
O
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Jul 2014
In Death Masks, which takes place concurrently with the campaign module Storm King's Thunder, Mystra is even seen by a homeless guy in Waterdeep when she's bugging Elminster, later she (seems to) castigate the blackstaff, but mostly leaves things to her chosen when they're available.

She is a young and brash goddess, possessing many of the old Mystra's memories, but being her own person, and especially being a lot more secretive with her chosen

My GUESS is that Gale is on the knife's edge of becoming a new chosen of Mystra or dying horribly. Mystra is currently recruiting, big time

In fact Laerel is Open Lord of Waterdeep only because the reborn Mystra commanded it, in Death Masks they directly comment on how unusual it is for a god to take such a direct role in mortal governance, but Mystra is super keen on increasing the number of spellcasters in Faerun, and creating more egalitarian access to The Art

Last edited by override367; 21/10/20 04:34 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
D
addict
Offline
addict
D
Joined: Oct 2020
Out of sll the gods I figured Mystra would be the one more active ones. She has her own little fanclub and everything :p

Both sound like good fits when you listen to Gale though. Maybe he was sincere at first but later the god perceived or felt that he was trying to use her for his own gain and decided to dissapear.

Would explain why she suddenly was gone and why Gale went to such extremes to try and get back into her good graces.

Also. Punished by making him lvl 1 again. Thats harsh!

Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Out of sll the gods I figured Mystra would be the one more active ones. She has her own little fanclub and everything :p

Both sound like good fits when you listen to Gale though. Maybe he was sincere at first but later the god perceived or felt that he was trying to use her for his own gain and decided to dissapear.

Would explain why she suddenly was gone and why Gale went to such extremes to try and get back into her good graces.

Also. Punished by making him lvl 1 again. Thats harsh!

Damn, she took all her toys and went home. hahaha

Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by override367
Originally Posted by Argonaut
Originally Posted by override367

I'm glad they're keeping to the current lore, Mystra is super active in the world, and if you are going to cause a magical cataclysm, expect a visit from her, Elminster, or Storm

Forgotten Realms wiki article for Mystra including bibliography

1 - "Toward the end of her reign as the keeper of the Weave, she had grown tired and bitter, fed up with the schemes, maneuverings, and blatant attacks that her preeminent position attracted from every power-hungry being, sycophant, and fawning parasite, for century after century. Her pride in her status, and the kindness and respect she received from those that aided or worshiped her for other than magical gain, kept her hopes alive."

2 - "As the centuries passed, Mystra had grown tired of the ceaseless grasping for power through pleading, flattery, or treachery. She and her portfolio were the target of gods and mortals alike and that took its toll on the Mother of All Magic."

Mystra was super active in the world. This is post time of troubles.

Just for contrast, here is the wiki entry on Gale.

"Gale has one ambition: to become the greatest wizard Faerûn has ever known. Yet his thirst for magic led to disaster. A Netherese Destruction Orb beats in his chest, counting down to an explosion that can level a city. Gale is confident he'll overcome it, but time is not on his side."

Totally 'accurate' Mystra and FR Lore here yep no discrepancies.





Please click the source on that Wiki, and ask yourself what timeline a book written in 1989 would take place in.

You are talking about Mystra, the goddess of magic after Mystral, and keeper of the weave for many centuries.

I'm talking about Mystra, the new goddess of magic who arose at the same time the most high of Netheril was put down by Elminster and the Srinshee over Myth Drannor

Mystra is only ~14 years old at the time of baldur's gate 3! Citation: "The Herald", Ed Greenwood, 2014, about the Second Sundering, the reestablishment of the weave, and the birth of Mystra


I am aware, here, from the same Wiki.

"In the Year of the Ageless One, 1479 DR, while recuperating in a cabin in the King's Forest, Elminster felt Mystra's presence calling to him. He found her much diminished, possessing the body of a bear that had guarded a cache of items Mystra's still-mortal form had collected. She asked her most trusted servant to find new candidates to become Chosen and to recruit Cormyr's War Wizards.[20]"

Anything not altered means there is no opposing evidence to contradict it in new materials. Mystra herself is not looking for new Chosen, the current Chosen are the ones doing that. Did you forget about the other consequences of the time of troubles such as Ao directly commanding all gods that they cannot directly interfere with the mortal world in any way whatsoever? This is why gods now have champions. The only setting in which this rule does not apply is Eberron FYI.

Please try again, sources and citations.

You like The Second Sundering right?
The Second Sundering
"Most of the gods created many Chosen among mortals, trying to gather as much power as possible to be as high in divine ranking as they could before Ao completed the new Tablets of Fate, sealing their status and portfolio.[9] People started to claim they had been "chosen" by the gods and granted special powers, some apparently for "divine purposes" while others had no idea why"

Last edited by Argonaut; 21/10/20 04:37 PM.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
Joined: Mar 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by override367
I feel like Shadowheart's is the only one that could qualify

I dunno. I got a snog then the day after was The Day After and "I regret it now". Which was its own sort of awesomeness.


"It was the wine talking"

I can't decide if she is a tsundere or if she doesn't want a personal relationship.



Joined: Mar 2020
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Correct, it is not Romance.

The developers could hardly market it as 'One-night stand screwing' though.

Lol.

For the op - romance is a very loose term that in video games generally means "if I'll say what my waifu wants to hear enough time, she will allow me to bang her". If that's what you meant by romance perhaps it's better without it.


Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Depends how you look at it. To me there's romance in the game as it is now. It just hasn't developed into obvious levels yet, I guess. Unless you count the dreams you have with the tadpole mindfucking you with the hallusinations of you prancing around on the summer meadows with your dream beau. Don't think the burn is slow enough for my liking though. Shadowheart is fine as a slow burn, if you're into the drag-pull way of romancing and don't mind her baggage as something overtly familiar or uninteresting. The NPCs let it slip in different ways they're looking for love, not just a night in the sack.

I don't think of the romances we have, even leave room for the "plain screwing approach", if you're into holding on to that thought any length of time. Some people seem to think Minthara fills the position in the game, but she's basically the most devout romantic of the lot. She's like the possessed Drow version of Merril from Dragon age 2, who also was estranged from her kin, on a overblown suicidal trajectory and was actively manipulated(though not yet possessed) by a supernatural entity. They both also blurt out that they love the PC after the first time you have sex. While the scared Minthara, "whose entire being is laid bare before you" after you screw her, just doesn't say it in such an obvious way. But there are those adorable telltale romantic gestures: like her bungling an assassination attempt and her affirming her belief in gender equality(saying something like "you're mine and I'm yours") after you convince her you're also still a useful tool to the absolute.

Last edited by IdPreferNotTo; 21/10/20 05:16 PM.

The promise of being led to death is reason enough to follow.
Joined: Jul 2014
O
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
O
Joined: Jul 2014
Originally Posted by Argonaut
Originally Posted by override367
Originally Posted by Argonaut
Originally Posted by override367

I'm glad they're keeping to the current lore, Mystra is super active in the world, and if you are going to cause a magical cataclysm, expect a visit from her, Elminster, or Storm

Forgotten Realms wiki article for Mystra including bibliography

1 - "Toward the end of her reign as the keeper of the Weave, she had grown tired and bitter, fed up with the schemes, maneuverings, and blatant attacks that her preeminent position attracted from every power-hungry being, sycophant, and fawning parasite, for century after century. Her pride in her status, and the kindness and respect she received from those that aided or worshiped her for other than magical gain, kept her hopes alive."

2 - "As the centuries passed, Mystra had grown tired of the ceaseless grasping for power through pleading, flattery, or treachery. She and her portfolio were the target of gods and mortals alike and that took its toll on the Mother of All Magic."

Mystra was super active in the world. This is post time of troubles.

Just for contrast, here is the wiki entry on Gale.

"Gale has one ambition: to become the greatest wizard Faerûn has ever known. Yet his thirst for magic led to disaster. A Netherese Destruction Orb beats in his chest, counting down to an explosion that can level a city. Gale is confident he'll overcome it, but time is not on his side."

Totally 'accurate' Mystra and FR Lore here yep no discrepancies.





Please click the source on that Wiki, and ask yourself what timeline a book written in 1989 would take place in.

You are talking about Mystra, the goddess of magic after Mystral, and keeper of the weave for many centuries.

I'm talking about Mystra, the new goddess of magic who arose at the same time the most high of Netheril was put down by Elminster and the Srinshee over Myth Drannor

Mystra is only ~14 years old at the time of baldur's gate 3! Citation: "The Herald", Ed Greenwood, 2014, about the Second Sundering, the reestablishment of the weave, and the birth of Mystra


I am aware, here, from the same Wiki.

"In the Year of the Ageless One, 1479 DR, while recuperating in a cabin in the King's Forest, Elminster felt Mystra's presence calling to him. He found her much diminished, possessing the body of a bear that had guarded a cache of items Mystra's still-mortal form had collected. She asked her most trusted servant to find new candidates to become Chosen and to recruit Cormyr's War Wizards.[20]"

Anything not altered means there is no opposing evidence to contradict it in new materials. Mystra herself is not looking for new Chosen, the current Chosen are the ones doing that. Did you forget about the other consequences of the time of troubles such as Ao directly commanding all gods that they cannot directly interfere with the mortal world in any way whatsoever? This is why gods now have champions. The only setting in which this rule does not apply is Eberron FYI.

Please try again, sources and citations.


in Death Masks she is directly, and personally, ordering Elminster. She seems to be rapidly regaining power with the fall of Shar's Shadoweave scheme

Given the completion of the new Host Tower of the Arcane at the hands of one of her chosen and the creation of a kind of Avengers of Wizards (A netherese lord, the most powerful drow wizard, a cloud giant, and one of her chosen, this happens in the last 3 R.A. Salvatore novels), and one of Mystra's Chosen literally running waterdeep at her command (again, death masks), it stands to reason that she is rapidly gaining power, because she visited Gale in person (citation: Baldur's Gate 3, Larian Studios)

I'm not arguing with you that her Chosen are her hands in Faerun, so the question is "why visit Gale personally?", my guess is that she wants to recruit him, since she's recruiting right now (Companions, Death Masks). Mystra doesn't personally solve anything for her Chosen, she merely commands them, but old Mystra visited potential chosen before they became chosen, and there's no textual evidence against new Mystra doing that.

Last edited by override367; 21/10/20 04:43 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Cleric of Innuendo
Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Also. Punished by making him lvl 1 again. Thats harsh!

It lets him grow to be a better person than he was before.

Or at least take a more optimised build.

Last edited by Sadurian; 21/10/20 04:40 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
C
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
C
Joined: Oct 2020
For the love of... It's the first act and what we see is only the start of the relationship. Just because it starts with sex doesn't mean it doesn't evolve, and it differs from character to character. Just be patient. They did a good job in DOS2, so I'm sure this will be fine too.

Joined: Oct 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
They've done romance very well, from what we've seen so far. You can either have a one-night stand from Laz / Ant, or persue Shadow / Gale for an actual relationship. Usual RPGs is basically you tick a few boxes or do a quest and they suddenly fall for you, in BG3 it (so far) looks like a more grounded approach where you can sleep with someone who's horny at a party or take some time to actually court somebody. This also feels natural with the companions personallity types - you've got the implulsive and more mature adventurers.

Joined: Oct 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by override367


in Death Masks she is directly, and personally, ordering Elminster. She seems to be rapidly regaining power with the fall of Shar's Shadoweave scheme

Given the completion of the new Host Tower of the Arcane at the hands of one of her chosen and the creation of a kind of Avengers of Wizards (A netherese lord, the most powerful drow wizard, a cloud giant, and one of her chosen), and one of Mystra's Chosen literally running waterdeep at her command (again, death masks), it stands to reason that she is rapidly gaining power, because she visited Gale in person (citation: Baldur's Gate 3, Larian Studios)

MY GUESS is that Gale is a potential Chosen, warranting her visiting him personally

No, as you said her influence is defined by the actions of her Chosen and not herself. One of her chosen must approach the mortal champion and first be offered this knowing fully what he is committing to. Ao directly forbade gods to influence the world in any other way. This was a direct consequence of the time of troubles, the Era of Upheaval and the Second Sundering.

Think about what you are saying very carefully. You are saying Mystra directly contacted a mortal and forced him into a contract without explaining anything when more than enough of her power has become capable in order to do this and either:

a) Gave him a task that he failed, invalidating him as a potential chosen.
b) Approves of his thirst for power despite this being the thing Mystra hates and has suffered at the hands of AND places all the restrictions that currently exist on magic.

You are saying that you think that MYSTRA trusts a power hungry mortal and sought him out and still seeks him out despite his added on ineptitude and the damage he is doing to the balance of the weave with his subsequent actions. Please.


I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Cleric of Innuendo
Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Rugby, UK
Originally Posted by Cowoline
For the love of... It's the first act and what we see is only the start of the relationship. Just because it starts with sex doesn't mean it doesn't evolve, and it differs from character to character. Just be patient.

I'm of this opinion too. The 'romance' at this stage is a 'getting to know you' roll in the sack. Hopefully a deeper relationship is possible with at least some of the Companions as the game progresses.

Although, I'm not sure I want to pursue that option with the current crop.

Joined: Jan 2011
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jan 2011
When you are talking romance in RPG's like this, I can only picture Marvin. "This is going to end in tears". For some reason as a community we can't handle this topic well, it is so subjective, one likes to think it will mature, but we have some high hurdles to jump in this area for us all to be in somewhat of an agreement.

Joined: Mar 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Mar 2020
Originally Posted by azarhal
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by override367
I feel like Shadowheart's is the only one that could qualify

I dunno. I got a snog then the day after was The Day After and "I regret it now". Which was its own sort of awesomeness.


"It was the wine talking"

I can't decide if she is a tsundere or if she doesn't want a personal relationship.





I'm voting for tsundre tied to a crisis of faith. She worships the goddess of loss not the the god of hope and new beginnings.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5