Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
Originally Posted by Lumign
For me, It's now proven : there should be an option/mod for "strict DnD 5e" rules mode in BG3.

Modders are already working on that.

DnD Rebalancing

I just hate that Larian seems to becoming another Bethesda, expecting modders to fix their games. I wish Larian would add a "House Rule" tab in options where we could turn off the various changes Larian is making to 5e rules.

I'm glad modder are working on the height elevation shenanigan BG3 have atm. Such as carrying a box around and putting it at your feet at no action cost, stand on it and have advantage... LOL what???

Last edited by Madoric; 21/10/20 04:00 PM.
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Madoric
For me, It's now proven : there should be an option/mod for "strict DnD 5e" rules mode in BG3.

Modders are already working on that.

DnD Rebalancing

I just hate that Larian seems to becoming another Bethesda, expecting modders to fix their games. I wish Larian would add a "House Rule" tab in options where we could turn off the various changes Larian is making to 5e rules.

I'm glad modder are working on the height elevation shenanigan BG3 have atm. Such as carrying a box around and putting it at your feet at no action cost, stand on it and have advantage... LOL what???

It doesn't *look* like it's possible to change that with mods

I would love Larian to drop the height advantage and lower height disadvantage, but if they don't, I'd settle for giving us an ability modifier we can put in mods to ignore it

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I watched a video on Solasta. Seems decent. Immediately envied the movement system and no surfaces.

There are a lot of games in this style that do things better than Larian IMO: Pillars of Eternity 2, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Tyranny... But so far Larian seems to be dead set on trying to make the square peg of Divinity fit on the round hole of Baldur's Gate. Sure, BG3 looks fancier, but basic stuff like controls, camera, and party management are terrible at the moment. I hope they are not so stubborn as to continue on this path, but I guess we have another year or more of Early Access to hope that they change their minds...

veteran
veteran
Agreed @KingNothing69

I also watched a video. Hard to love those graphics after BG3 and PoE and the grid seemed even cruder than the infinity engine.

*But* it also looked like you could easily move your party around and put them into good strategic position. Let's hope Larian takes notice but I also hope WotC is watching -- I'm still shocked that we don't have a D&D game that uses the PoE engine.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Too much popups during combat, feels like Internet Explorer back in wild 90s.

I do like party acting as a single entity in conversations and of course auto-jump is great.

Last edited by Gaidax; 21/10/20 04:37 PM.
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by Gaidax

I do like party acting as a single entity in conversations and of course auto-jump is great.

I really, really like seeing my attack rolls and damage rolls pop up in combat

that would be the easiest thing in the universe to hide

journeyman
journeyman

I can see that, but you can turn these option off. What I also like is you can get different dice! My DICE addiction! XD

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by override367

Just to clarify as I just recently learned this but in BG3 if you scroll over your combat log you can also see the dice rolls and modifiers.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Jazhara202
Originally Posted by override367

Just to clarify as I just recently learned this but in BG3 if you scroll over your combat log you can also see the dice rolls and modifiers.

I think most people know this, but some people (now me after playing 10 hrs of Solasta) would like the option to see the dice roll on screen over our character head or somewhere not obstructive.

old hand
old hand
My initial impression by playing Solasta is, IF ONLY THERE WAS A WAY TO COMBINE THESE TWO GAMES!!!

BG 3 : 10x better graphics, 10000x better looking characters, voice acting, official Faerun license, etc.

Solasta : Easier/convenient interface, no surface nonsense = better combat, better DnD

You will be able to do all that in BG3 with a mod at release, so that is 10 mins to do it yourself. You can already do a number of things now with a mod released yesterday.
Or BG3 also has room to grow to make it that way via options or core from here to release as well.

Now the dice rolling animations won't be something in mods and it is nice is Solasta. I'm sure Larian is taking a good look at their game.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 21/10/20 05:11 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
My initial impression by playing Solasta is, IF ONLY THERE WAS A WAY TO COMBINE THESE TWO GAMES!!!

BG 3 : 10x better graphics, 10000x better looking characters, voice acting, official Faerun license, etc.

Solasta : Easier/convenient interface, no surface nonsense = better combat, better DnD

You will be able to do all that in BG3 with a mod at release, so that is 10 mins to do it yourself. You can already do a number of things now with a mod released yesterday.
Or BG3 also has room to grow to make it that way via options or core from here to release as well.

Now the dice rolling animations won't be something in mods and it is nice is Solasta. I'm sure Larian is taking a good look at their game.

...and people wonder why Larian is already called the new Bethesda by some. laugh

old hand
old hand
It will be interesting to see if Larian will be willing to embrace the 5e rules to make BG3 a better game though that would be a huge amount of work for them.

Certainly some work and not all features are equal, but if a solo person can put out a list of 5e fixes in a mod this quickly, it is more of DB adjustment work, change some values. The Divinity Engine was setup really nice to make changes for things like this. We've heard they felt in-house it wasn't as fun as they like, but what they may not be weighing correctly is the audience that wants an authentic DnD implementation. I'm near certain this will become a public discussion once in future community updates.

I think things like surfaces can be amazing, but not every fight, not even half of the fights. Not triggered by cantrips etc. Imo there is a way to tone it down to the point people really appreciate them when they are available to use as clever moments. We'll see. Could even be high-level spell only triggers, something to make them special vs ordinary and over done.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

...and people wonder why Larian is already called the new Bethesda by some. laugh

And that is a good thing when it comes to mods, but they still aren't close to Bethesda in that realm. Bethesda gets to laugh all the way to the bank while everyone else holds their spincters too tightly. For example DOS's you can't add content to the main game, they locked that out, Bethesda have at it. Just think what we could have today with DOS's if people were able to add/remove quests? Add/remove objects?

Larian did a nice thing with DOS2 where they would come out with official mods as gift packs or the like, that's a cool thing. Would love to see a lot of games do that, some gameplay alterations are always fresh to me.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 21/10/20 05:24 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

And that is a good thing when it comes to mods, but they still aren't close to Bethesda in that realm. Bethesda gets to laugh all the way to the bank while everyone else holds their spincters too tightly. For example DOS's you can't add content to the main game, they locked that out, Bethesda have at it. Just think what we could have today with DOS's if people were able to add/remove quests? Add/remove objects?

Larian did a nice thing with DOS2 where they would come out with official mods as gift packs or the like, that's a cool thing. Would love to see a lot of games do that, some gameplay alterations are always fresh to me.

Hey, not complaining here... that's why I'm still here, to be honest. All I'm hoping for at this point is a well produced Baldur's Gate story, I wouldn't mind modding the rest to fit, however ludicrous the notion, that even as already as EA, it already looks like there will be a lot of modding needed for this AAA game, might be...

journeyman
journeyman

Hey, not complaining here... that's why I'm still here, to be honest. All I'm hoping for at this point is a well produced Baldur's Gate story, I wouldn't mind modding the rest to fit, however ludicrous the notion, that even as already as EA, it already looks like there will be a lot of modding needed for this AAA game, might be...

I hope we don't have to use a MOD to play BG3 with "faithful" DnD 5e Rules... like they said it would be (but it's not even close to 5E atm) Anyways, I usually don't use mods and if I do is for cosmetic.

D
D
I’ve played Solasta for a few hours today and I have to admit it is pretty decent. The UI feels clean and work properly. And I really like the Reaction Popup, you can even use reaction to cast a feather fall on ally to reduce their falling damage! And the dice over head is very clear, showing you of u miss or not. In general I think BG3 should learn a lot from it, it’s a good game.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by dunehunter
I’ve played Solasta for a few hours today and I have to admit it is pretty decent. The UI feels clean and work properly. And I really like the Reaction Popup, you can even use reaction to cast a feather fall on ally to reduce their falling damage! And the dice over head is very clear, showing you of u miss or not. In general I think BG3 should learn a lot from it, it’s a good game.

Yes! Feather fall is a reaction in DnD 5E and it's great to cast it when an enemy shove your character off the bridge (with an action, not this silly bonus action). With how much verticality BG3 have, it's strange they don't have these reaction for your character. Like causing attack disadvantage with your fighter with a shield as a reaction! Kudos to Solasta to implementing the 5E rule SO well!

old hand
old hand
Yeah Solasta is amazing for DnD 5th rules, I reaaaaaally hope Larian implements that even better! Not least reactions.

journeyman
journeyman
[quote=dunehunter]Yes! Feather fall is a reaction in DnD 5E and it's great to cast it when an enemy shove your character off the bridge (with an action, not this silly bonus action). With how much verticality BG3 have, it's strange they don't have these reaction for your character. Like causing attack disadvantage with your fighter with a shield as a reaction! Kudos to Solasta to implementing the 5E rule SO well!

The thing that really gets me about feather fall, is that because it's a bonus action in BG3, you can't feather fall and jump i nthe same turn.. which is the main thing you'd want to use feather fall for in this game.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Muldeh
[quote=dunehunter]Yes! Feather fall is a reaction in DnD 5E and it's great to cast it when an enemy shove your character off the bridge (with an action, not this silly bonus action). With how much verticality BG3 have, it's strange they don't have these reaction for your character. Like causing attack disadvantage with your fighter with a shield as a reaction! Kudos to Solasta to implementing the 5E rule SO well!

The thing that really gets me about feather fall, is that because it's a bonus action in BG3, you can't feather fall and jump i nthe same turn.. which is the main thing you'd want to use feather fall for in this game.

It's very strange system they have for spells right now in BG3.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard