Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#710902 21/10/20 05:31 PM
D
D00med Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Are we likely to see any of the stranger weapons featured in 5e like slings, whips and nets?

Slings:
First off I would like to say 5e seems to hate slings (I suspect the designers don't know the difference between child toy slings and historical sling weapons) I can see the sling working like bows and with a special action that allows small weight objects to be launched further then a standard throw. Side note: the standard throw in EA seems to ignore weight and be a too long in reach.

Whips:
Useful melee finesse weapon with reach. No other weapon like it. Allows for more interesting builds that use dexterity stat, combines well with some feats. Would be interesting addition.

Nets:
Unless were getting Grapple/Restrain mechanics added I can't see this being either useful or having a purpose in game.

I would mention the blowgun, but it's outclassed by the sling for all purposes, or the lance - but I suspect were not getting mounts in BG3 unless we get a DLC/expansion.

Last edited by D00med; 21/10/20 05:35 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
There is a useable net somewhere already in the EA....i found it on one of my playthroughs and it created a hotbar icon, but I never did use it. It was up on a shelf in the Zhent area or the burning houses.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Now that you mention it... slings are indeed not in the game 🤔

+1, I especially want to see some whips.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by D00med
Slings:
First off I would like to say 5e seems to hate slings (I suspect the designers don't know the difference between child toy slings and historical sling weapons) I can see the sling working like bows and with a special action that allows small weight objects to be launched further then a standard throw.

Slings have been misinterpreted by D&D and AD&D (and Pathfinder) since the beginning. Going by historical record, slings ought to be more potent than shortbows. They apparently outranged and out-'punched' the shortbow, and experienced slingers were recruited in favour of bowmen.

So yes, I agree completely here. In fact, Gary Gygax himself had something to say on the matter: http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2017/08/gygax-on-slings.html

old hand
old hand
+1 to Slings, Whips and Nets

I love using unusual weapons or repurposing ordinary items into weapons like McGyver or the A-Team did. cool

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 30/07/22 07:30 AM.
G
addict
addict
G
Don't the Kua-Toa enemies use nets?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by gaymer

I dunno. I haven't played that far. All I know is that the Half-Ogre Buthnir once threw a javelin at me that I couldn't find to pick up. Maybe the Kuo Toa nets will be the same then? Unless you can mange to steal them first...

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 30/07/22 11:45 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus

I dunno. I haven't played that far. All I know is that the Half-Ogre Buthnir once threw a javelin at me that I couldn't find to pick up. Maybe the Kuo Toa nets will be the same then? Unless you can mange to steal them first...

Yes, the kua-toa use nets. I don't think you can get them, at least not yet in the current iteration of the game.

I believe the earliest javelins you come across are in the chapel. They're on the fellow inside who can go into a rage. Is his name Haseid, I believe? Anyway, one of them is carrying two javelins.

veteran
veteran
I believe i have seen a net in Zhentarim hideout ...
Not sure if its still there tho.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus

Yeah, you can't pick up their nets after but javelins are in the game to buy or loot from some enemies.

Link Copied to Clipboard