Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#710239 21/10/20 11:37 AM
B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
I think for the most part, if you tell a character, or your party, to go somewhere, he should just go, even if it takes a jump to get there. Now the exception to that would be in combat. There I could see a jump button may be needed.

journeyman
journeyman
I disagree.

.i.
B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Originally Posted by spaceweed10â„¢
I disagree.

This is my experience with jump in a lot of situations. I move to the cliff, I jump with one character. Then I try to jump with my second character, but there is no room. So, I move the character that has already jumped away, so there is space. Then my third character needs to jump, but again, the other two characters are in the way, so I move them and the third character jumps. The same thing for the forth....

Now if I just told my party to jump up the cliff and they just jumped, that would be much nicer.

W
veteran
veteran
W
It would be nice if you could get the entire party to jump together with on click. That being said, I pretty quickly figured out that I needed to move my characters before switching to the next party member to make the jump.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Blackwidow
Originally Posted by spaceweed10â„¢
I disagree.

This is my experience with jump in a lot of situations. I move to the cliff, I jump with one character. Then I try to jump with my second character, but there is no room. So, I move the character that has already jumped away, so there is space. Then my third character needs to jump, but again, the other two characters are in the way, so I move them and the third character jumps. The same thing for the forth....

Now if I just told my party to jump up the cliff and they just jumped, that would be much nicer.

💯

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Most of the locations you absolutely need to have access to jump (like 80%) are little "bonus areas" which lead to a small amount of loot. Another 10% help with positioning for combat, but you often don't need your entire party sniping from the rafters.

B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Originally Posted by Telephasic
Most of the locations you absolutely need to have access to jump (like 80%) are little "bonus areas" which lead to a small amount of loot. Another 10% help with positioning for combat, but you often don't need your entire party sniping from the rafters.

I like to keep my party together. It should not be this much of a pain to do so.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
One of the things which would help with Jump's functionality tremendously though is if it just highlighted everywhere you could actually jump. It would avoid the "hunt a pixel" aspect of jump currently.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Telephasic

I like to keep my party together. It should not be this much of a pain to do so.

With that I agree, and since the op is not a Larian's designer, he isn't the one who should find solution to the problem

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
It does require a bit too much micromanagement at present. If I don't want someone to follow I'd rather just unchain them than have to make each character jump individually which usually means repeatedly selecting other characters and manoeuvring them out the way (which can cause other problems) so that they're not obstructing the landing zone.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
+1
I'd like to be able to keybind a party jump and if there is enough area, they all make the jump.
As it is now, some of them always move around while I'm trying to 'aim' with the next character and sometimes block the landing area. Moving them, again and again, has absolutely no meaning from any balance, RP, w/e point of view that it must be kept as a 'feature'.
Or, as an example: In the owlbear cave,
the straight path makes you cross running water. If you don't jump with Astarion first, he will try to go around the running water (to avoid taking damage) and while the rest of the team is slogging through knee-high water, Astarion goes past the shrine and to the back of the cave with the owlbear cub. The owlbear aggroes and you miss the dialogue options with the mother owlbear.

Last edited by Neleothesze; 21/10/20 01:40 PM.

-N
enthusiast
enthusiast
Even when have to jump with a single character takes multiple tries and a lot of time, finding that tiny spot where is possible to land.

Some clear marking when in jump mode, at least inside the areas of the jumping circle could help lot.

Same for moving as well, takes just as long to find a spot where to hide in stealth mode, despite the cursor showing a good spot there, it's impossible to move to the spot shown. Too much inaccessible areas and invisible walls, they need adjusted better (moved farther away)

I'm not even saying anything about a full party, if barely can do it with a single character. They just can't fit.

Also it's not about the need to jump or hide, but it's a feature that is there and could use a lot of improvement. If anyone cares and can do it of course.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Neleothesze
the straight path makes you cross running water. If you don't jump with Astarion first, he will try to go around the running water (to avoid taking damage) and while the rest of the team is slogging through knee-high water, Astarion goes past the shrine and to the back of the cave with the owlbear cub. The owlbear aggroes and you miss the dialogue options with the mother owlbear.

Interesting. I'd seen Astarion go running off somewhere but hadn't realised it'd excluded what would've been my preferred option.

Originally Posted by LoneSky
Even when have to jump with a single character takes multiple tries and a lot of time, finding that tiny spot where is possible to land.

Ugh, yeah, the "highlight that one specific pixel" thing. Funny how I'm so good at doing it when I don't want to, but when I need to do it I spend literally six months hovering the mouse around trying to find it. Literally: I was 18 years old when I started playing BG3 and I'm now about to celebrate my 287th birthday.

J'aime le fromage.
T
addict
addict
T
I agree, but topic should be "travel pathing is a pain" because jump is only part of the issue that occurs with getting people to follow where you go.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Im not sure how you wish to implement party jump, since every character jumps to different distance, alterned by strength ... maybe by restrict it to shorter distance in group? Dunno ...
But i have to admit that personaly i also expected that it will work the same as it was in nautiloid, where "us" was following you without needing any futher instructions.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
apprentice
apprentice
It's speculation at this point but I assume they plan for companions to auto-jump after you, they just disabled it for EA because it's buggy.
My reason for assuming that is that if you manage to temporarily recruit "Us" in the beginning, it jumps after you over a gap without problems.
They decided to teach it this way in the tutorial so that's most likely how it's intended.

journeyman
journeyman
Your jump distance is different depending on your strength...A character with high strength can make jumps a character with low strength cannot. If your party acted like lemmings and follow the first active person, they would jump to their death. This happens with "Us" in the ship sometimes, where he doesn't clear the jump. They automated that one party member since it is the tutorial, and even he has problems with it if you have a high strength character and do not move him out of the way immediately.

There are hidden areas a low strength character cannot get to without magic, which is exactly how it should be in the name of balance. Soloing with an 8 strength character forces you to get misty step as soon as possible.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Agreed. I would like to see an option that allows the entire party to jump rather than having to do it one at a time.

N
old hand
old hand
N
For me, jump is a pain in 3 different scenarii:

1. It shouldn't be allowed as a bonus action in combat to disengage but as a full action.
2. When I jump with one character, the others should follow if they are chained to the character jumping without having to take them there one by one.
3. When I want to jump back somewhere and the other characters are on the way, they should move aside to let me jump without having myself to place them properly each time.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
I think for the most part, if you tell a character, or your party, to go somewhere, he should just go, even if it takes a jump to get there. Now the exception to that would be in combat. There I could see a jump button may be needed.

I completely agree. Having to manually jump everybody around outside of combat is super tedious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard