Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Baldurs Gate has a Speak with Animals spell. If you use it, it becomes clear that animals have intelligence, they have their own opinions, feelings, dreams. This is already a double reason to fight against animal abuse.

Can we eat intelligent beings?
How then will our hero be different from the goblins who roast the dwarf at the stake?

The game has already implemented a vegetarianism system: in order to replenish health, the player has the freedom of choice: he can eat meat, or he can eat fruits and drink health potions. So everyone can answer this question on their own

But is it possible to do a quest to rescue the bulls from the tiefling camp in order for them to find freedom? And escape the terrible fate of being eaten.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I actually like that idea!

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It's a bit Restaurant At The End Of The Universe: I'm thinking of the scene where Dentarthurdent was becoming decidedly queasy about the still living quality meat product that was trying to describe how tasty it was.

J'aime le fromage.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Hey, if the dwarf meat is already roasted, it would be a shame to waste it.

And this from a player of dwarfs. When entering the village and being ambushed by goblins, one of them comments that, "We should get a few cuts from you". I looked at the avatar and thought, "yeah, you're probably right".

Slightly more seriously, this raises that long-debated question over what constitutes cannibalism in a fantasy world where there are many intelligent species (okay they call them races, but that's semantics). The actual definition is that you eat a member of your own species, but in FRPGs things tend to get more blurred so that, for example, a dwarf eating a halfling is liable to be viewed as a 'cannibal'.

If the half-orc eats the half-elf, is that quarter-cannibalism?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Hey, if the dwarf meat is already roasted, it would be a shame to waste it.

And this from a player of dwarfs. When entering the village and being ambushed by goblins, one of them comments that, "We should get a few cuts from you". I looked at the avatar and thought, "yeah, you're probably right".

Slightly more seriously, this raises that long-debated question over what constitutes cannibalism in a fantasy world where there are many intelligent species (okay they call them races, but that's semantics). The actual definition is that you eat a member of your own species, but in FRPGs things tend to get more blurred so that, for example, a dwarf eating a halfling is liable to be viewed as a 'cannibal'.

If the half-orc eats the half-elf, is that quarter-cannibalism?

What interesting questions the game poses for us! It is better if we answer them now, and help Larian do something about it, than after the release they will be covered by American critics

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
veteran
veteran
Pick you diet:
Vegan/vegetarian/traditional/cannibal

old hand
old hand
Even if I am a Human, and the goblins were eating human flesh, is that enough reason for me to want to wipe them all out? In fact I wouldn't care at all by my Chaotic Neutral nature so long as it isn't me being cooked and eaten. I would weigh up whether it is more beneficial to me to join the goblins or the druids regardless of good or evil.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 19/10/20 02:55 PM.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
It won't be the first time D&D has been attacked as containing Terrible Influences.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Pick you diet:

Sentient plants could be vegan cannibals.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Pick you diet:

This is what is wee need in 2021.
Vegan - Restores more health from apples and other fruits, but cannot eat other foods.
Vegetarian - can also eat milk.
Traditional is the way it is in the game now.
Canibal - can collect meat from humanoid corpses, but cannot heal with other food

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Baldurs Gate has a Speak with Animals spell. If you use it, it becomes clear that animals have intelligence, they have their own opinions, feelings, dreams. This is already a double reason to fight against animal abuse.

Can we eat intelligent beings?
How then will our hero be different from the goblins who roast the dwarf at the stake?

The game has already implemented a vegetarianism system: in order to replenish health, the player has the freedom of choice: he can eat meat, or he can eat fruits and drink health potions. So everyone can answer this question on their own

But is it possible to do a quest to rescue the bulls from the tiefling camp in order for them to find freedom? And escape the terrible fate of being eaten.

+1 more content and interesting avenues of thinking and roleplaying are always welcome.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I have a question for vegans:
Do you have any displeasure with eating meat in the game to replenish your health, preferring apples, rest and health potions? Or does it not matter to you if the meat is virtual?

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
By the by, there is also a speak with plants spell. If you are currently simulating a growing moral horror at the casual genocide inherent in the DnD universe, you are doing it right.

veteran
veteran

Vegan - Restores more health from apples and other fruits, but cannot eat other foods.
Canibal - can collect meat from humanoid corpses, but cannot heal with other food

I like this idea ... maybe there can be even way for some races to consume raw meat for smaller amount of HP, than when cooked.
I dont know DnD so good, but for Half Orc, for example, i would expect raw meat to be consumable, even if maybe not as enjoyable as cooked.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 21/10/20 05:05 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
journeyman
journeyman
I would rather have the option to eat one cow at a time and replenish all of your health. Similar to the regen stations on the ship. Any farm animals you find in the world could act as 1 use max heals.

old hand
old hand
Pick you diet:

This is what is wee need in 2021.

Unfortunately its not really realistic as some Vegan that tried to climb mount Everest to prove that vegans arent weak died from the attempt. It would be more correct to add malnourished debuffs to characters that don't eat a balanced diet.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 21/10/20 06:29 PM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T

They are oxen, not bulls... and their terrible fate is to pull a cart currently.

apprentice
apprentice
Do you have any displeasure with eating meat in the game to replenish your health, preferring apples, rest and health potions? Or does it not matter to you if the meat is virtual?

I don't know about most vegetarians/vegans, but I don't particularly care about eating meat in a game, especially because it seems like meat in this game heals for a lot more than fruits/vegetables. Honestly, a lot of what I do in the game is somewhat morally questionable in my opinion, so having my character eat some meat she found sitting in a barrel somewhere is just one more thing to add to the list. Weirdly though, killing the virtual animals does bother me, so I never attack non-hostile animals unless it's for a quest or something.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by tourmaline

I don't know about most vegetarians/vegans, but I don't particularly care about eating meat in a game, especially because it seems like meat in this game heals for a lot more than fruits/vegetables. Honestly, a lot of what I do in the game is somewhat morally questionable in my opinion, so having my character eat some meat she found sitting in a barrel somewhere is just one more thing to add to the list. Weirdly though, killing the virtual animals does bother me, so I never attack non-hostile animals unless it's for a quest or something.

I've been a vegan for...24 years now...and it's pretty much the same for me.

For some reason I can't make my character eat the cooked dwarf cuts though. I have Lae'zel eat them instead.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Been vegan for 5 years, due to health problems gone full vegetarian for about 7years (in total I haven't touched meat/fish for about 12 years now) and I really don't care about pixel food. All I care about is that it heals me in game and takes the damned weight off my chars bags, what was it, pork head or chops weight 20kg? Are you kidding me??

So while your idea might be nice, honestly, I would entirely remove food healing us from the game. Sure, for RP reasons or some hardcore realistic mode (I believe POE1 or 2 had modes where you had to eat food or you'd die), food can stay but it shouldn't heal us. Makes clerics pretty much redundant... like hp potions still have some use.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard