Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
apprentice
apprentice
"Only a couple of days"
"Only a week"
"Only a couple of weeks"

Soon, it'll be "Only a month". "Only two months".

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
Google forms does not limit the number of questions or respones. Some other platforms like survey monkey do, but their monthly plans with less limits are pretty much free when compared to the budget of the game.
Larian could just set up a virtual server with a database and do it on their own, it's not all that much effort.

And keep that in mind that even if we do a survey here & reddit, it’ll not be as good as if it was done by Larian using users emails restricting only the people that have purchased the content. Life is hard frown

Banned
Banned
Larian has a history of sticking to their guns the more negative feedback they receive. I have every expectation that as EA goes on things like surfaces and the DOS2 changes to 5e will become more pronounced, and videos from Swen will regale us with how the fanbase loves the changes.

They do APPEAR to ignore negative feedback - whether they actually do or not. Swen strikes me very much as a "we are doing it this way" kind of guy no matter what the feedback is.

Last edited by tsundokugames; 21/10/20 09:14 PM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Let's wait a bit and see what Larian does. If they keep quiet we can set up one. If it is not shown in the game or at the least pinned in the forums the number of participants would be small.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
i also wonder how much WotC has say in the game mechanics, personally i'm not too thrilled about abundance of exploding barrels, but certain features from 5e DnD have to be present (not that i would know a lot about it, lol)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Emulate
I think larian is too busy squashing criticizm to actually care about this game, mods just lock forums and call people trolls who critique how poor the game currently is.

A lot of things you say are opinion, but these are things long time Larian customers know that isn't true. You have some salt, but I bet you also like to be accurate no matter, your disappointments are now tainting your judgement. Larian isn't running from anything and there has been plenty of criticism and it is nothing new in this 3rd iteration of their CRPG engine, they did just fine taking it in for DOS and DOS2. They improved some things and others things they didn't, it is going to be the same here. We'll get somethings, what they are stay tuned.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by sethmage
i also wonder how much WotC has say in the game mechanics, personally i'm not too thrilled about abundance of exploding barrels, but certain features from 5e DnD have to be present (not that i would know a lot about it, lol)

We have no idea about how this was contracted. It could have been Hasbro that did the contract and their only requirement was "will it make us lots of money? if yes, do whatever you want."

Please remember last D&D game we got was Sword Coast Legends which was pretty much D&D in name only. I can't remember any CRPG D&D games after SCL. Hasbro seems perfectly happy to license D&D to people without requiring them to follow the tabletop rules.

Last edited by Merry Mayhem; 21/10/20 09:35 PM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I think that the outrage about barrels and balancing issues like surfaces is second to the story concerns. The file structure seems to enable quite a lot of modding and I am pretty sure that there will be balancing mods to fulfill various tastes soon after release. Hiring the voice actors and doing new animations or mocap to fill plot holes would be much more effort. Only a few big mod projects have done that.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I think that the outrage about barrels and balancing issues like surfaces is second to the story concerns. The file structure seems to enable quite a lot of modding and I am pretty sure that there will be balancing mods to fulfill various tastes soon after release. Hiring the voice actors and doing new animations or mocap to fill plot holes would be much more effort. Only a few big mod projects have done that.

Quite frankly I don’t want to rely on modding for something that have been sold to me differently. This is a Bethesdatization of gaming industry where the modes are more polished and fun than the actual game you’ve purchased

Banned
Banned
I shouldn't have to mod 5e rules in to a game advertised as a faithful adaptation of the 5 e rules.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I did not say that these issues are not important at all. That they are not as important as things that cannot be fixed by modding does not mean that Larian should not care.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I did not say that these issues are not important at all. That they are not as important as things that cannot be fixed by modding does not mean that Larian should not care.

Phew smile I’ve already started the survey development. I’ll share with the community once it’s finished to balance it even further

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
It could encourage Larian to do one on their own

addict
addict
Originally Posted by capfoxtrot
"Only a couple of days"
"Only a week"
"Only a couple of weeks"

Well. To be fair. It's still only a couple of weeks yet. And considering that the estimated period for the EA is gonna be around 52 weeks I, at least, won't hold that against them. Do I check the forums every single day in hope for an official update? Yes. Do I get a little bit disappointed when there is none? Yes. Do I realize that my upbringing and modern society by large does not teach us the virtue of patience? Yes.

We are so used nowadays to not have to wait for anything, that I read somewhere (and can't find a source so it might not be true) that our general attention span is less...than a goldfish.

Is it reasonable of us to be seeing changes made every week? I don't think so. We all, me included, need to see the EA as something that won't take up our time everyday until release but instead something that we come back to like once per month to see what's happened since last time.

But ofc that mindset won't stop me from scanning the forums every day still smile

D
D
Originally Posted by tsundokugames
Larian has a history of sticking to their guns the more negative feedback they receive. I have every expectation that as EA goes on things like surfaces and the DOS2 changes to 5e will become more pronounced, and videos from Swen will regale us with how the fanbase loves the changes.

They do APPEAR to ignore negative feedback - whether they actually do or not. Swen strikes me very much as a "we are doing it this way" kind of guy no matter what the feedback is.

Is this true? I read from somewhere says that they listen to players and how different DOS2 EA and the final game was kind of thing.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by dunehunter

Is this true? I read from somewhere says that they listen to players and how different DOS2 EA and the final game was kind of thing.

Take Tsundokgames' statements with a grain of salt. He recently also stated that Swen publicly admitted to never had the intention of making this a true d&d rendition and grabbing the BG IP solely for marketing value. And since then, I've scoured the web to find an interview where those statements can be concluded to be true and has of yet not found a single one.

addict
addict
And @tsundokugames, if you intend to slander a company, I suggest you find source material backing those statements. Otherwise you just come of as a troll.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
Originally Posted by dunehunter

Take Tsundokgames' statements with a grain of salt. He recently also stated that Swen publicly admitted to never had the intention of making this a true d&d rendition and grabbing the BG IP solely for marketing value. And since then, I've scoured the web to find an interview where those statements can be concluded to be true and has of yet not found a single one.

Yeah, I don't think I hear Sven said anything about not sticking to DnD. All I've hear and read in interview is he saying they will be as pure to the rule as much as possible (well I'm sure a lot of people around here know my opinion now, they are not even close). BUT Solasta is if you want to play a DnD 5e combat/rest mechanic/ etc... that is almost a 1:1 translation into a video game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
Originally Posted by capfoxtrot
"Only a couple of days"
"Only a week"
"Only a couple of weeks"

Well. To be fair. It's still only a couple of weeks yet. And considering that the estimated period for the EA is gonna be around 52 weeks I, at least, won't hold that against them. Do I check the forums every single day in hope for an official update? Yes. Do I get a little bit disappointed when there is none? Yes. Do I realize that my upbringing and modern society by large does not teach us the virtue of patience? Yes.

We are so used nowadays to not have to wait for anything, that I read somewhere (and can't find a source so it might not be true) that our general attention span is less...than a goldfish.

Is it reasonable of us to be seeing changes made every week? I don't think so. We all, me included, need to see the EA as something that won't take up our time everyday until release but instead something that we come back to like once per month to see what's happened since last time.

But ofc that mindset won't stop me from scanning the forums every day still smile

That. Sure it would be nice to see some big updates for the ea, but if it takes time from development of the full game, I prefer to wait.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
D
D
My guess is that since the playerbase is larger than they had anticipated, there's more on the line with what they put out. There are so many people ready to judge them for changes they don't agree with. I've seen people on these forums ready to jump ship if they don't "fix the game" soon. Larian is in a stressful position, I think.
Another perspective is that they have certainly received a lot of feedback. There's just a lot to go through. Bug fixes they can do as they are reported and they figure it out, but adjusting the game itself is no trivial task.

That being said, it would be nice to see some "we're looking into it" type responses in between larger updates. They do respond the feedback / bug reports, for example I had some issues with Attack of Opportunity triggering when it shouldn't and they responded that they're working on it

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard