Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ulla G Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice

Despite the mention of romance, it is, in fact, not the main point in this feedback.

Granted, starting this we only had what people expect to be “a sprinkling” of romance for early access, which had no one happy, people who like romance in their games, people who hate romance in their games, people who just plain dislike their companions because they are too distant or feel too “spechul”. I also perused a lot of topics around and saw trends among why people like or dislike certain characters, and it is as much building rapport between characters in game as engaging the player in the game. Romancing or not romancing, things could improve with the sociability aspect of the party. I wont argue for one or the other, I do in fact, like romance in games, when well written.

So, small suggestions, and they are mostly relating to camp, because let’s face it:

It doesn’t feel like a hub with the importance it should have, at least from what I see. It’s the common safe space between you and these strangers, where you get interactions with them, the dreams, and so forth. It might already be slotted for improvement once they get to Baldur’s/change areas, but it’s “bare”, currently.

• At camp, considering “time has passed” once you go to rest, the day ended (also marked by the improving appearance of it, with more tents and makeshift constructions), give us more options to do there than the few dialogues that pop up sometimes with the characters. Being able to actually sit by the fire, and have small reactions/dialogues as days go by with the other characters doesn’t seem difficult do to (I am not a developer, don’t quote me on that). It doesn’t even need to be close up dialogue, just hovering text and voice as with world NPCs.
  • Adding small tasks at camp – making food, washing dishes, are both immersive and liven things up. Didn’t wash the dishes? Get a “Sick” debuff the next day, etc., since the mechanic is even there (thanks Auntie Ethel). Found ingredients around? Cooking pot by the camp! There’s so many empty containers around, try having more food around, and then we needn’t depend as much on potions and all.

This also links to the next point;
  • Do not leave the companions idling about or doing repetitive motions in the same spot. Add a range of things for them to do, so they always feel alive/moving around. If there are “tasks to be done”, as there should be, they can be doing them. Also doesn’t sound too far fetched inside the small space of camp (The only time something like this kinda happened Astarion was bugged laying on the mud, and I do believe it was a bug). Leave Lae'zel doing dishes too long? She gets mad. Put that damn skeleton to mend your socks, damn him.
  • Risk while camping has been mentioned quite a few times as well, designing a watcher for the night to keep the safety seems just as good.
  • I read the game will not have weather around the forum. Having weather in the camp alone though could provide some improvement on that area.
  • Maybe, and this is on the more wild side of feedback (thus last on the list), give us an option to pick where the camp is going to be, changing a few features around it.
  • On the wild possibility you are setting a sick and twisted tentacle romance with the tadpole, options to talk to "yourself". A presence int he day to day if you use the tadpole powers too much, like whispering, hearing things, might be in line too.

This, of course, ties into the "camping everywhere is not immersive" discussion I have seen around, and to which I agree to a certain extent. But yeh that's it, fix it for camp and a lot of things might go along with it, just by presenting more immersion around the NPCs. Whatever the case, my 25 cents on the matter

Last edited by Ulla G; 22/10/20 05:52 PM.

well
journeyman
journeyman
I like laugh Things to do in camp would provide for some nice side activities and a greater sense of achievement in the grand scheme of the path along the way.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Lots of posts about romance recently.
I will just post whatever I posted earlier in the other thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Certain things need to be changed for sure.

1) Don't make everyone horny. The flirting between characters should be an on going thing throughout the gameplay and concluded then.
Yes Affinity and character's approval of you is important but it totally feels weird for Gale to be hitting on me randomly that night and being so crushed that I turn him down... its just cringe man.

Have Gale try to flirt with my character, I turn him down, He grumbles. This could be randomly generated event as I play the game. Like the time I stepped in front of the crossbow to protect Sazza. Have him say something that I could respond with a flirt. This should start the series of flirty dialogue lines that both Gale and player experience until the Tiefling party where finally Gale and my character decide to take it further.

That would feel much more organic.
And if it HAS to happen that night then here is option 2!

2) When the party starts Astarion has a question mark over his head about how much he hates the party. And he says he wants to have some fun.
This time instead of telling you wants to bang me how about he asks me "Hey bud, The wine is crap but at least maybe I can find a good bang! What about you? Who do you have your eye on?"

This gives the player total control of who they want. Instead of other characters hitting on you, you tell Astarion "hey I had my eye on Shadowheart, she is hot".
Now whether Shadowheart overhears this coversation or Astarion is the best wingman ever... you take your pick.
Thats when she starts flirting with you and maybe invites you to the "after-party"

Of course this may be a little too quick for some so there is always option 3.

3) Player hits on the tieflings and just has a one night stand. The other Origin companions make commentary and maybe give some flirts of their own.

But besides all that... for the love of god overhaul the Tiefling party, an office party has more energy and fun that whatever it was I saw there at my camp.

Ulla G Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Eddiar

Yeh I didn't care for the sudden "DTF?" at the tiefling party either, but it's more about companionship overall, romances falls along those lines for those who want it, but I saw far more complaints on not being able to connect with the companions. This might be too "Sims" but hey, it's a roleplaying game, let us do the menial tasks and build at least a passing friendship with some NPCs over small things, instead of making it all about big story moments.

well
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yep which is exactly what I though could be a solution to the rushed DTF that was going on.
I really hope they change it. It is comically bad.

addict
addict

1) Don't make everyone horny. The flirting between characters should be an on going thing throughout the gameplay and concluded then.
Yes Affinity and character's approval of you is important but it totally feels weird for Gale to be hitting on me randomly that night and being so crushed that I turn him down... its just cringe man.

This. Romances nowadays feels so incredibly pushed , blatant and cringy for "we have sexy romances in" sake. Tone this down and increase the characters LORE instead. Larian, more D&D LORE and ATMOSPHERE ! ! All complaints usually resolves around this, whether it be world building , combat, character design etc...
The ironic thins is, Larian is located in Belgium! Dont know about you but anything close to France should know a thing are two how romances work. Larian is trying to hard to be Holywoody. Stay European wink May I ask...is an American intern doing your romance design work? frown

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 22/10/20 01:19 AM.
Ulla G Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist

This. Romances nowadays feels so incredibly pushed , blatant and cringy for "we have sexy romances in" sake. Tone this down and increase the characters LORE instead. Larian, more D&D LORE and ATMOSPHERE ! ! All complaints usually resolves around this, whether it be world building , combat, character design etc...
The ironic thins is, Larian is located in Belgium! Dont know about you but anything close to France should know a thing are two how romances work. Larian is trying to hard to be Holywoody. Stay European wink May I ask...is an American intern doing your romance design work? frown

They are def going for the more graphic route with what we saw in that preview video, I just hope it comes with small changes like these to balance things out and make it less, well, cringe. Relationship development doesn't equate do sex and that is something that cannot be said enough for games that decide to include it as a feature.

I cannot make a comment on how different countries view romance though, I don't think one can be said to know of it more than others, I'd honestly not go there with the generalisation or ranking based on countries, specially if it comes as an attack. It is possible to be constructive without being scathing, which is more the direction I'd hope for a discussion to go (there's flame enough around the forum, one of the reasons I made another thread instead of simply commenting on existing ones).

well
enthusiast
enthusiast

Have Gale try to flirt with my character, I turn him down, He grumbles. This could be randomly generated event as I play the game. Like the time I stepped in front of the crossbow to protect Sazza. Have him say something that I could respond with a flirt. This should start the series of flirty dialogue lines that both Gale and player experience until the Tiefling party where finally Gale and my character decide to take it further.

2) When the party starts Astarion has a question mark over his head about how much he hates the party. And he says he wants to have some fun.
This time instead of telling you wants to bang me how about he asks me "Hey bud, The wine is crap but at least maybe I can find a good bang! What about you? Who do you have your eye on?"

This gives the player total control of who they want. Instead of other characters hitting on you, you tell Astarion "hey I had my eye on Shadowheart, she is hot".
Now whether Shadowheart overhears this coversation or Astarion is the best wingman ever... you take your pick.
Thats when she starts flirting with you and maybe invites you to the "after-party"

3) Player hits on the tieflings and just has a one night stand. The other Origin companions make commentary and maybe give some flirts of their own.

But besides all that... for the love of god overhaul the Tiefling party, an office party has more energy and fun that whatever it was I saw there at my camp.

Totally! Agreed with everything, I also wanted to write my own long list of feedback and indeed romancing would be one of the things I would heavily touch on. This game has quite a bit of 'light' flirting going on, like the stars scene with Astarion, but the problem is, these little dialogues don't always trigger, here is an example of that chat I mentioned with Astarion:

[Linked Image]

Then there's Gale's weave sharing scene I have never been able to trigger, no matter how many guides I followed. It just won't happen. There should be a reliable way to trigger them, all of them, like I stumbled across this Astarion scene quite randomly, and I figured out that you can only trigger it with Lae'zel in your group, so she needs to be alive, and then she needs to speak to Zorru BEFORE you discover that Astarion is a vamp. Now it's a hella convoluted way to trigger some possible romantic interaction. It could've been so easily modified without having him mention the gith creche. And we need more little romantic interactions like that from the screenshot. Cause indeed, as of now, it's.. oh, I hit on you once or twice and suddenly you wanna bang?! Make these options branch out. Like there is soooooomuch potential. Like in Gales case, from what I've seen on youtube, his romance does branch out a little, there are some follow up scenes to the infamous weave sharing stuff. Now, branch it out even more and include something like that to all romancable companions. Make these damn dialogues matter.

To add to the overall camp problems, the game should be able to track the time we spent, cause so far I've noticed, you can rest 20 times in a row, and the game still considers the day to be... day 2??????????? Are you serious? How hard is it to track how many times we rested? And what day it is? What would be nice is if maybe some characters could slowly open up and trigger dialogues at camp as time progresses.

Next character developing thing that I noticed is very messed up - your characters want to talk to you after you do something, eg. after you squish that tadpole of that Edowyn guy, the one who got mauled by the owlbear and wants you to protect his ''siblings'' (acolytes more like), now I noticed, that when you squish it, sometimes Astarion wants to talk to you about it, sometimes Lae'zel, so how about... you trigger everyone who has something to say about what just happened there instead of just having one of them 'react' and locking out all the others from ever mentioning it again? Especially considering that a lot of times, the companions share entirely different perspectives on certain events, or have them have a group conversation about it.

Next thing that should be changed is... grinding approval with certain characters by repeating the actions they like... like petting the dog (Wyll, Gale and Shadow love you doing that), drinking from the well at Ethel's hut (Lae + Gale love that) and... stealing the boots repeatedly of that deep gnome chick in myconoid village + talking about Shar and passing persuasion checks over and over with Shadowheart (Astarion loves you doing that). Yes, these things should net you approval, but only ONCE per game, not on repeat. As of now it's a lot worse than giving gifts to companions in DAO, what a looooooot of people hated how you could go from hate to best friends in just a few gifts...

Last, but not least, what I found very odd, is that in Astarion's 'under construction scene', if you let him bite you during it, Shadowheart disapproves?? LIke wot? How would she even know or care? Does Astarion afterwards run around and brag that the PC let him bite us during intercourse? Like come on, such a thing has no place in there. It's not like Shadow is sitting a bush observing us during that...I hope.

Anyway.. it's a long enough rant. Most likely I will add to it later. When I think of more stuff that's irritating me.

Ulla G Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Nicottia

Last, but not least, what I found very odd, is that in Astarion's 'under construction scene', if you let him bite you during it, Shadowheart disapproves?? LIke wot? How would she even know or care? Does Astarion afterwards run around and brag that the PC let him bite us during intercourse? Like come on, such a thing has no place in there. It's not like Shadow is sitting a bush observing us during that...I hope.

Anyway.. it's a long enough rant. Most likely I will add to it later. When I think of more stuff that's irritating me.

[Linked Image]

Yeh, that too, but most of these things I expect being an effect of EA (like the bugs for approval, 100% sure they will be gone, they are bugs not features, after all), if we can get enough good feedback and Larian listens, the other stuff can also be easily fixed as well (hopefully). Getting a little more attention to the camp is the "solution" I got to the overall dislike for the currently available companions, because yeh, so far it's locked behind big story beats.

well
I didn't complain about my romance with Astarion, who are the people you are talking about? I guess I don't count.

Ulla G Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by FatePeddler
I didn't complain about my romance with Astarion, who are the people you are talking about? I guess I don't count.

I in fact don't mind Astarion at all because I play far too much VTM to get mad at snarky vampires, I will probably have my character romance him once the full game comes out, but the "DTF?" came out of nowhere specially when his opinion of my character was low, not even neutral during one of my plays. But yeah, him not being relatable/snarky is one of the things I see complains about (it's usually more focused on the girls tho cause "waifu", we know why). I do want more small interactions with all of them, of course, and I can envision him being mad at having to do small tasks at camp and that makes me want it all the more.

I have to point it's not all about romance, the game really could use more building blocks to the relationships, you don't take part in the party banter prompts while walking about, since you don't have a full fledged background, but that can be overcome.

well
Originally Posted by Ulla G

I in fact don't mind Astarion at all because I play far too much VTM to get mad at snarky vampires, I will probably have my character romance him once the full game comes out, but the "DTF?" came out of nowhere specially when his opinion of my character was low, not even neutral during one of my plays. But yeah, him not being relatable/snarky is one of the things I see complains about (it's usually more focused on the girls tho cause "waifu", we know why). I do want more small interactions with all of them, of course, and I can envision him being mad at having to do small tasks at camp and that makes me want it all the more.

I have to point it's not all about romance, the game really could use more building blocks to the relationships, you don't take part in the party banter prompts while walking about, since you don't have a full fledged background, but that can be overcome.

You use a lot of acronyms that I have no idea what they mean.

I think the romance is fine atm, keep in mind that it is Early Access. We don't even have the full game yet. Also keep in mind, it is an RPG, not a dating sim.

There are a large variety of romancing in many different games. Fire Emblem Three Houses is one that has *very little* in terms of romancing your marriage partner, just throw gifts at them and they love you XD. Dragon Age Inqusition didn't have a huge amount either.

I think the amount of romance in BG3 is a good balance, you need to have the romance as an add on, it is not the sole focus of the game. Play a dating sim if you want more romance imo.

Ulla G Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice

I think the romance is fine atm, keep in mind that it is Early Access. We don't even have the full game yet. Also keep in mind, it is an RPG, not a dating sim.

There are a large variety of romancing in many different games. Fire Emblem Three Houses is one that has *very little* in terms of romancing your marriage partner, just throw gifts at them and they love you XD. Dragon Age Inqusition didn't have a huge amount either.

I think the amount of romance in BG3 is a good balance, you need to have the romance as an add on, it is not the sole focus of the game. Play a dating sim if you want more romance imo.

Oh sorry, I'm very used to them I forget to write in full, "DTF" is "down to fuck", and "VTM" is Vampire the masquerade, a tabletop game. As I said, romance is not the sole focus of the suggestion, it will always be impossible to please everyone with these things because it's very subjective, but adding depth to all relationships is not exclusively about the romance aspect. It adds to the RPG elements as well as having more simple yet rewarding (maybe, it is, after all, a suggestion based on my preferences) to the game. I might have fared better by leaving "romance" out of the title in this thread, since it is a contentious topic.

well
Originally Posted by Ulla G

Oh sorry, I'm very used to them I forget to write in full, "DTF" is "down to fuck", and "VTM" is Vampire the masquerade, a tabletop game. As I said, romance is not the sole focus of the suggestion, it will always be impossible to please everyone with these things because it's very subjective, but adding depth to all relationships is not exclusively about the romance aspect. It adds to the RPG elements as well as having more simple yet rewarding (maybe, it is, after all, a suggestion based on my preferences) to the game. I might have fared better by leaving "romance" out of the title in this thread, since it is a contentious topic.

I think we could also wait a bit to see how well the writers handle it with the feedback they have already received. The story is not finished, and I am very curious to see the rest of my characters story with Astarion personally <3.

I don't think it's a bad thing to have less things with companions this early on, it would be weird if you got too chummy with people you barely know. My companions don't like chatting, so I've been keeping to myself too; so in a sense I've been RPing the same way as the companion characters XD.

I do think they could change a bit to make it so they let you ask questions. ATM I'm terrified of starting a conversation T_T.

Last edited by FatePeddler; 22/10/20 04:31 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
my problem is that EA seems pretty polished and the current trend worries me.
I also have DOS2 to work with and... I am worried.

Companions are too silent, rarely do they say much. Your interactions with them is easily missable especially at came, When trying to please one character you usually displease two others. The game becomes something you have to engineer to learn about other characters rather than just playing the game.
If I try to get closer to Astarion or Shadowheart it is almost guaranteed that Wyll or Gale would begin to hate you or be indifferent.

Also the romance development at the tiefling party are some of the worst I have seen. Its like one of those cringy player fantasy that any and all potential love interests throw themselves at the PC.
Its not a dating sim and it doesn't need to be. It just needs to tell a story properly and it currently isn't doing it very well when it comes to its romance.

Ulla G Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I can only hope anything suggested here would "make waves", and the devs haven't said anything about not posting feedback while they handle things.We also don't have a timeline of when to submit feedback and then wait to do more, on the chance it might make a difference in Early Access, this would be it, sooner rather than later in development. I do imagine they are dealing with massive amounts of both feedback and bugs, in this podcast interview for USGamer Swen mentioned there having been more bugs than expected, which in itself ties to what Eddiar said about the EA seeming too polished in a way. There was an expectation of it being polished, or so it seems.

I am very hopeful overall, I liked the game a lot so far, and I'm not trying to be negative towards the work that has been done. We know mods will be there for the small things later, too. In all honesty, I don't think they will read this thread in particular, but considering I paid some money for the EA and the chance to give this feedback, here I am!

well
Well I don't know, why everyone is bashing that party so hard. Have you never been on any frat parties/summer camps/heard of happenings at Olympic village?
For f sake we've just erased half of the goblin population single handedly (oh yeah I enjoy getting in with Astarion in female drow disguise, then we steal their firewine and smokepowder and the whole place goes boom - glorious I tell you! Particularly that courtyard fight from the tower.)
Now we still face getting turned into slimy monsters at any time so this moment of celebration might as well be our last. If it was me I'd surely be getting drunk and well let's say I probably wouldn't say no to indecent proposal coming from the right direction.

Although I do agree there should be a bit of a warm-up before that comes up. Some party conversation and banter around campfire maybe? I think for these parties Witcher 3 is the best reference honestly, or maybe Mass Effect Citadel.

- I feel Astarion's party invitation is completely in character for him even if his opinion on character isn't the best, so I wouldn't change anything there.

- I've never actually gotten the Wyll scene - must be bugged or something, but in order for anything to happen the PC need to be the one to ask - so what's the problem? After seeing the cutscene on Youtube I have to state though that there's hardly anything more off-putting than a horned lady spying on you through eye prosthesis while you're getting busy.

- Gale will only act on it if you've been asking for it through the elusive and hard to get Weave scene. while I consider his "romance" development by far the best of all available options, the morning after talk though? IRL he'd be flying of my bed, clothes to follow through the window!

- Shadowheart is really sweet and conflicted about herself in general and her next day reaction actually makes sense in this context.

- Lae'Zel is uh just being herself I guess whatever that's supposed to be

In conclusion Astarion is the only one that doesn't leave the PC bruised the day after (emotionally or physically) which really wouldn't be my first guess... It really sucks to be left with these cliffhangers though for an unforseeable future.

veteran
veteran
On romances, I think a big part of the problem is too many people conflating sex with romance. Sex and romance are related but separate things. And sex being a thing in an RPG is perfectly reasonable, because it is just as much a part of life as eating or sleeping. So if Larian were to make a greater distinction between characters simply having (casual) sex versus there being a romance between characters, that would go a long way towards making things more believable and immersive.

Originally Posted by kanisatha
On romances, I think a big part of the problem is too many people conflating sex with romance. Sex and romance are related but separate things. And sex being a thing in an RPG is perfectly reasonable, because it is just as much a part of life as eating or sleeping. So if Larian were to make a greater distinction between characters simply having (casual) sex versus there being a romance between characters, that would go a long way towards making things more believable and immersive.

Well I'm pretty sure PC's options are still opened no matter what they decide to do at the party and that is kinda commendable.

Not everyone is "let's wait to be married" kind of person and as in real life many great romances have begun in exactly such order (and even more heartbreaks) 😉

And as in real life it's usually impossible to say which way it's gonna swing the morning after.

The classic formula of candles, wine and flowers, long talks, stolen glances, kiss on the cheek and fade to black scene before final fight is getting kinda stale...

And I for one am very happy we moved on from the age of Anomen 🤢, no offense to Gaider he also moved on to write some of my favourite characters and Ok to be honest Anomen did get a bit more bearable if romanced.

Here I'm thinking Astarion and Lae'Zel are definitely in it for the fun, Shadowheart is falling for the PC but wouldn't admit it even to herself, Wyll - well that's just wrong and Gale might just be masterfully manipulating the PC for his personal agenda (whatever that really is).

S
addict
addict
S

these are great ideas.... I hope they at least consider it

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard