stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello guys !

Many of you already have seen this on reddit

[Linked Image]

Cool right? ...

Sorry but not enough!

Many of us played D&D before, or at least a tabletop game with dices. Rollings dices are fun! So let us do in BG3.

@Larian, please, implement an OPTIONAL dice rolling like DND Beyond or let us, the community, MOD dice experience! We should come to something crazy like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jiMi5I8FQw

or this:

What you guys think?

Last edited by emery; 21/10/20 11:02 PM.
Y
stranger
stranger
Y
Defintively agree with you. The game is great but the actual system is so frustrating, you need to check the log and let your mouse on it for each roll of dice. This is awfull.

Solasta is a good exemple to how a good dice system must be :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwkOLMZZ8L8

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 did not have a system like this. And having a system like this for every. single. dice. roll. in. the. game. Is seriously tedious.

This will not be a good change, I'm sure you don't realise exactly how much dice rolling is in the game if you want this feature. D:

emery Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Yarro
Defintively agree with you. The game is great but the actual system is so frustrating, you need to check the log and let your mouse on it for each roll of dice. This is awfull.

Nice video ! Solasta has a really cool dice system showing dices rolls above the heads of the NPCs!

Thats totally cool but I think Larian could do better or just support the community to mod it !

Question? Dont you love when the 20 dice crit shows on the screen?

enthusiast
enthusiast

A game that has a clear idea of what it wants to be despite not being licensed.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
From what I can see in the logs it’d be kind of messy.

A dual wielding attack with advantage from a ranger with hunters mark and colossus slayer is what... 2 rolls to hit 2 rolls for attack 2 rolls for HM and another for CS. So up to 7 rolls scrolling across the bottom of the screen? Not sure it’d be that clean.

Maybe if they just showed you the numbers at the bottom instead of the floating ones?

veteran
veteran
I gues this is exactly the right material for mod ...
Or maybe if implemented, i really recomend to keep current system as option. :-/

Dices are certainly nice ... but seeing them every 20 seconds can be anoying ...

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
D
D
Originally Posted by FatePeddler
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 did not have a system like this. And having a system like this for every. single. dice. roll. in. the. game. Is seriously tedious.

This will not be a good change, I'm sure you don't realise exactly how much dice rolling is in the game if you want this feature. D:

After watching about 500 hours of Critical Role I would say that seeing the dice is half of the fun from playing DnD. Making it an optional feature can help with people who don't care they are playing DnD. Solasta does it right. For my tast I even would like an option for duration for wich they are visible.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JDCrenton

If it's not licensed, it's going to be shut down. Copyright infringement is a thing, after all.

D
D
Originally Posted by robertthebard

If it's not licensed, it's going to be shut down. Copyright infringement is a thing, after all.

They use DnD 5e SRD. It's basically just core rules without any WoTC content. Only 1 PHB archetype for every class. World and additional archetypes they have to develop themselves. Larian on the other hand have full licens.

S
S
Originally Posted by emery
Hello guys !

[Linked Image]

Cool right? ...

Sorry but not enough!

Many of us played D&D before, or at least a tabletop game with dices. Rollings dices are fun! So let us do in BG3.

@Larian, please, implement something simple like DND Beyond dice rolling or let us, the community, MOD dice experience! We should come to something crazy like this :

What you guys think?

This is just a stupid idea for a video game.

addict
addict
Actually rolling physical dice (if I understood you correctly) is too much to ask. It’s not going to happen. Now, what is shown in that image you linked...that’s doable and would be much better. Use two dice for advantage and disadvantage. Yes, you can get the same odds with just a modifier, but that’s not as fun.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dastan McKay

They use DnD 5e SRD. It's basically just core rules without any WoTC content. Only 1 PHB archetype for every class. World and additional archetypes they have to develop themselves. Larian on the other hand have full licens.

From the SRD site:

The intent of this site, and all of the sites that make up the Open Gaming Network, is to bring to you official Open Game Content rules for 5th Edition AND the best Open Game Content from other publishers. This site is *not* intended to bring *only* official content from Wizards of the Coast, but instead to be a constantly growing resource of the best Open Game Content for 5e.

See where it says "official"? That means that they have some kind of deal with WotC, or they couldn't release it, not for profit. Since I had to close a banner selling me stuff from 5e when I first hit the site, they're operating for profit, and so, have a license with WotC. If not, they'd be shut down as well. You cannot legally sell official content from any other company w/out their express permission, which is usually obtained by way of a license. See also their Legal Information page.

veteran
veteran

If it's not licensed, it's going to be shut down. Copyright infringement is a thing, after all.[/quote]

It's only using the SRD license, not the exclusive, more expensive one, and hence not the copyright-protected content.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stabbey

It's only using the SRD license, not the exclusive, more expensive one, and hence not the copyright-protected content.

A license is a license, which is contradictory to what I replied to in that post. On top of that, I provided the Legal Information page from the SRD site. It's in the post directly above yours.

Last edited by robertthebard; 21/10/20 08:43 PM.
emery Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi Guys ! Just make sure here that the call is to make it optional or let the community to MOD.

RPG should be fun for everyone and we know people have differents needs and opinions

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by FatePeddler

Baldur's Gate 1 a,d 2 wasn't base on D20 system (even though D20 used in 2nd edition).

And yes, Larian pretty much obliged following "recommendations" of Wizards.
Otherwise Wizards can just call of license at any point, completely ruining several years of game development.

Last edited by Redwyrm; 22/10/20 09:43 AM.
veteran
veteran
Oh please no... This is a video game, not a tabletop simulator...
I'm fine if it pleased you and if it's an option but no, I definitely don't want to experience that.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
journeyman
journeyman
Hi, I am actually the OP of that reddit post. I am definitely for it being on toggle option, as many others also suggested. And as I see Solasta have this also as an option. Personally I don't want to see all dice rolls (e.g. in combat). I am fine with battle log (which still could be done better).

The basic reason for the post was "when they show a roll, they should show it correctly (or maybe not show it at all)". For totally new players the actual UI is simple and good. For experienced veteran DnD it's a little bit worse but this type of player is still able to understand it. But all those in between must be totally confused. The current UI is not educative. Whats a better place to visually teach and explain what Advantage or Disadvantage is then show it here and there in dialog? Currently the game does not explain it at all. In combat you see "backstab" instead of "advantage" while your Sneak attack have prerequisite you need to have "advantage". Or next example, you can't have this simplistic UI on one side and this description of Guidance on other side: " It receives a d4 bonus to an ability check of its choice." Semi-experinced player would be totally lost. Where is this roll of d4? I saw only d20. What is Advantage? I googled something but game just show one d20. Is it bugged?

If the game is not supposed to be tabletop simulator, they should probably also change description of all spells and abilities. Guidance text would be something like "You recieve +10% on dialog checks."

This is what bugged me the most. Not that I am not seeing all rolls. But those I see are wrong.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by emery
Hello guys !

[Linked Image]

Cool right? ...

Sorry but not enough!

@Larian, please, implement an OPTIONAL dice rolling like DND Beyond or let us, the community, MOD dice experience! We should come to something crazy like this :

or this:

What you guys think?

I do like the image shown though, I would love to see all the rolls attached in social encounters) The roll there is fun because it adds some suspense. It should show you the total and say "success" or "Failuire" though, so you don't have to add it up in your head.

But in combat? I don't need to see it, but it could be cool if we had a small "dice tray" showing the rolls. The data is there, I can look in the log, but it's not as interesting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard