Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
After i saw changes to ranger, that larian did, I had a thought, how can they make Pact of Blade valuable choice without implementing Hex blade

Pact of Blade is the worst pact possible for warlock in PhB. It is magic weapon, which is good on 3 lvl, that warlock can summon with bonus action. Or warlock can make a magic weapon his pact weapon, and summon it with bonus action.

This pact was pretty weak, until Hexblade came out. It made a small change to this pact only for his subclass, what made this pact great. Hexblade can add his Charisma instead of str\dex for rolls with any one handed weapon, and to any weapon that is created with Pact of Blade, if Hexblade choose this pact. Also, Hexblade has proficiency in med armor and shields,

I LOVE Hexblade(not only for Cha to weapon rolls, but it gave some impact). But, as far as I know, only PhB classes will appear in Baldurs Gate 3. So, maybe, Larian can add Cha to weapon rolls and med armor prof as base Pact of Blade feature, or maybe, as invocation.

Over all, vanilla Pact of Blade will be very disappointing. Some changes are needed to this pact

veteran
veteran
I'm sure it will be moded in

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
They could, in theory, make Wyll a Hexblade with the Fiend Patron, they just need to replace the fiend patron bonuses with the Hexblade patron bonuses. There's only Dark One's blessing in right now anyway.

But they won't.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Stabbey
They could, in theory, make Wyll a Hexblade with the Fiend Patron, they just need to replace the fiend patron bonuses with the Hexblade patron bonuses. There's only Dark One's blessing in right now anyway.

But they won't.

Hex blades, technically can have any number of patrons, from dragons, demons and fey to some guy stuck in a sword. Their powers are just set by the subclass.

That said, I'd rather they just implement some of the xanthars subclasses than change the base class.
Although it would be nice to play pact of the blade with out feeling like a paper tiger.

Pact of the blade does need a buff, perhaps gaining med Armor prof + martial weapon prof would be sufficient?

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Honestly, just make pact of the blade have charisma to attack and damage built in. You've fixed blade and removed the need for hexblade.

Armor wise, you could still require investment into feats, or you could make medium armor baseline-there are already several companions whom use medium armor though and there isn't any good heavy armor in the current build, so IDK.

enthusiast
enthusiast
We have no idea if Larian going to do Ritual Spells correctly in BG3 either and without Rituals, Pack of the Tome is pretty weak too.

Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
We have no idea if Larian going to do Ritual Spells correctly in BG3 either and without Rituals, Pack of the Tome is pretty weak too.

Yea, I almost posted on another thread how this game is going to feel bland if they arbitrarily restrict all Xanthar content from it. Currently Pact of the Fiend automatically gives you unlimited distance on your familiar (this was an invocation in 5e, not built into the pact). Without the cantrips from Xanthars, Pact of the Tome is going to feel like weaksauce. there just arent enough options and they are mostly damage spells... even with the utility of ice slicks its going to be hard to ever beat agonizing blast. so the tiny fraction of other useful cantrips generally can just be covered by one other party member. Thaumaturgy is basically a weakened version of Friends, it doesnt even do any of the mechanically neat things it did from 5e (opening/closing doors from 30ft away, lighting/snuffing fires from 30ft away). The cantrips in this game are incredibly lacking

I hope they arent crippling this game just to reserve DLC options... I guess the story is cool, maybe the actual customization options are just not gonna be in this game. Maybe BG4 will have Xanthars/SCAG content. It really feels weird playing D&D for so long as PHB+1 and then just cutting it down to PHB - some stuff from PHB (theres no half-orcs and I havent seen a single NPC half-orc whereas I have seen every other race represented... not looking good for PHB even being fully included)

Last edited by pill0ws; 21/10/20 08:25 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I've seen a lot of requests for Hexblades being added in.

Given its popularity, I'm holding onto a thread of hope they'll add them in, rather than trying to cobble something halfway there.

W
stranger
stranger
W
Add hexblade. Simple. Hexblade is the fix for pact of the blade, just like in 5E

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Honestly I think they should add Hexblade.

What would be great is if WoC recommended what subclasses should be in the game, based on their own evolution. It's clear some subclasses in 5e are the "natural improvement" of older subclasses.

I really want Hexblade too, because it's such an interesting departure from the normal warlock playstyle.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
hexblade is cool, and interesting and popular and i like it.

but if it is the same as 5e it will overshadow all other subclasses. no matter what kind of warlock you'd want to play, hexblade is just the strongest.
adding charisma to attack and damage or medium armour and shields to blade pact would definitely alleviate that gap and increase the viability of the pact in general.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Aurgelmir
Honestly I think they should add Hexblade.

What would be great is if WoC recommended what subclasses should be in the game, based on their own evolution. It's clear some subclasses in 5e are the "natural improvement" of older subclasses.

I really want Hexblade too, because it's such an interesting departure from the normal warlock playstyle.

It is cool to have hexblade indeed, but we can be sure only with PHB subclasses, and so, BG3 needs to have overall update to Pact of Blade. As for me, it is strange, that cha to weapon rolls is not pact of blade feature by itself in 5e. Hexblade even get 2 abilities at 1 level, when other patrons gets 1 (Celestial gets 2 abilities too, but light and sacred flames cantrips addition is just icing on a cake). I always homerule pact of Pact of Blade cha to weapon rolls in my home campaigns

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Abits
I'm sure it will be moded in

I really don't want BG3 to become a game that has the philosophy of let the modders fix it .

Modders should be adding quirky stuff to BG3, not expected to fix stuff Larian should be adding to the game.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P

I really don't want BG3 to become a game that has the philosophy of let the modders fix it .

Modders should be adding quirky stuff to BG3, not expected to fix stuff Larian should be adding to the game.

I am sure, modders will add Artificer, UA subclasses etc. But I am fully agree with your thesis

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by PanShlyaptor

I am sure, modders will add Artificer, UA subclasses etc. But I am fully agree with your thesis

Yes, modders can do amazing things. They added turn base mode to Pathfinder:Kingmaker which was so good, the makers of it added it to the official game.

I do look forward to stuff like modders adding Bloodhunter or other homebrewed stuff to this game. I really hope Larian adds the Artificer though I expect not, as it's not PHB.

Both Hexblade and Pact of the blade spend way too many resources just playing catch up to your basic Agonizing Eldritch Blast spammer. I know ther's some multiclass stuff you can do to make it more viable, but in general it just seems like its not worthwhile.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg
Both Hexblade and Pact of the blade spend way too many resources just playing catch up to your basic Agonizing Eldritch Blast spammer. I know ther's some multiclass stuff you can do to make it more viable, but in general it just seems like its not worthwhile.

And a character can pick this up with a two level dip which is pretty amazing with any other Cha based class. Even so Pact of Blade is cool.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Bossk_Hogg

The main difference is just being melee versus ranged (hexblade can actually freely switch between both) at low levels-stuff like armor of agathys (which is honestly one of the best warlock spells) work much better in melee, and warlocks generally have several ways to get temp HP back, and with hexblade can kinduve effectively tank, even. Heck, very effectively tank if you go all in on it.

Regardless, it effectively lets a character do what it wants to, and while agonizing blast spammers might be more effective, there isn't anything wrong with blade builds.

journeyman
journeyman
Pact of the blade without hexblade is kinda bumb. Hexblade is/was what made Pact of the blade useful in 5E.

Why go a step backwards by not including hexblade? And on top of that, blade builds are cool. So why not let them be viable?

That said, i'm sure that the subclass will make it in.

Last edited by VhexLambda; 22/10/20 10:37 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Hexblade really provides one of the coolest, most interesting playstyles in the game.
+1000 to this

Fixing the pact of the blade, adding CHA mod to it, I think that would already go a long ways into making it viable without the need for hexblade, the Fiend and the Fae pacts have some features that would be cool for mellee, if melee was based on our main stat, CHA.

Whatever choice they make, they must add the invocations that improve the pact weapon from Xanathar. Except the "you can also use a ranged weapon as your pact weapon", IMO, that's unecessary. If I wanted to be a ranged warlock, I'd go for the eldritch blast maniac.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard