Next Thread
Print Thread
#712154 22/10/20 11:08 AM
B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
I just played an other D&D game (will not name) where I would tell my party to go somewhere on the map and they all would go, even if they had to jump multiple times to get there. I click and they all move, climb, jump and arrive. It was great. That just reminded me how bad jump was in this game. What took seconds for a party to cross many jumps, on a map in the other game, would take 10 minutes in BG3.

Fix jump in BG3, PLEASE! smile

Last edited by Blackwidow; 22/10/20 11:10 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Blackwidow
I just played an other D&D game (will not name)

Solasta.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Blackwidow
I just played an other D&D game (will not name) where I would tell my party to go somewhere on the map and they all would go, even if they had to jump multiple times to get there. I click and they all move, climb, jump and arrive. It was great. That just reminded me how bad jump was in this game. What took seconds for a party to cross many jumps, on a map in the other game, would take 10 minutes in BG3.

Fix jump in BG3, PLEASE! smile

You can mention it, Solasta, its not forbidden to speak of, Swen himself encouraged folks to buy Solasta on his twitter account.

Its a great game and certain things it does better, such as movenent if party members as you mentioned, as well as reactions and spells/divine smite you can cast a bonus action when you hit someone with a weapon attack. Turns out reaction pop ups are not disruptive after all.

enthusiast
enthusiast
IMO, Solasta is a better game from a combat perspective right now, its smoother and hewing closer to 5e rules has served it well. It also has a better, and far more usable UI, with easier UX features, albeit the UI isn't super pretty.

That said, BG3 looks much better and has better dialogue. BG3 also has a better setting and full access to official D&D material, where a lot of the custom solasta subraces and subclasses feel quite over powered compared to the SRD ones

If I could have Solasta combat mechanics and UI with BG3 visuals,setting and dialogue. It would be a perfect game for me.

old hand
old hand
I didn't know about solasta, I have it and that Pathfinder thing on my wishlist now.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Yeah, its Solasta, the D&D feel in combat and classes is 10 times stronger then in BG3, the pacing and combat is much more fun and true to the setting, docent feel its a clanky hybrid DOS 2 combat.
this is its only advantage thought, all the rest is pretty basic and low quality, existing only to justify the tactical combat.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Darthmansour
Yeah, its Solasta, the D&D feel in combat and classes is 10 times stronger then in BG3, the pacing and combat is much more fun and true to the setting, docent feel its a clanky hybrid DOS 2 combat.
this is its only advantage thought, all the rest is pretty basic and low quality, existing only to justify the tactical combat.

BG3 does indeed run circles around Solasta for visuals, voice acting and story telling.

I'm just kinda bummed because basically both games do part of the equation incredibly well, but neither gives the full package as it were.

B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Originally Posted by blindhamster
Solasta has a better, and far more usable UI, with easier UX features.

This.

journeyman
journeyman

It does a better job translating 5e combat, but that doesn't mean combat is better. It's simply more accurate, whether the combat is better will depend on the player. I will say this, encounter design is much better in BG3.

N
N
cohhcarnage is doing a playthrough - id check out his streams/vids if anyone is interested in getting a taste before deciding to try out for themselves. tbh im really intrigued. sure there may not be as many 'AAA' features but it looks distinctly dnd, which is what i was hoping bg3 would be

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dulany67

It does a better job translating 5e combat, but that doesn't mean combat is better. It's simply more accurate, whether the combat is better will depend on the player. I will say this, encounter design is much better in BG3.

It *feels* better, encounter design is subjective too tbh as I've not been a fan of a lot of BG3 ones, probably because the various changes make them less fun (to me).

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Dulany67

as Blindhamster wrote, it feels better, more smooth, more enjoyable. And it is not only combat actually, when I speak of pacing and classes, I mean the use of abilities, such as climbing, jumping and pushing,. much better and less awkward then BG 3. the way they are set, closer and more authentic, more of a D$D experience. Same the with UI, much better then BG 3. The selection of spells and abilities, the treatment of states and info about stats and abilities. The interactions with the environment, considerably more interesting. It just feels smother.
But as also been said, sadly, the graphics, voice acting and dialoge are really bad, in that department and world building BG 3 is so much better. But Solasta certainly feels like D&D, and even has a BG feel, while BG 3 feels like a DOS 2 hybrid with some FR and D&D elements, and a little bit of wannabe Dragon Age inquisition.

Last edited by Darthmansour; 22/10/20 05:04 PM.
addict
addict
Yes I'll be picking up Solasta at somepoint too - they can be different but its so good to see hopefully what will be two excellent D&D titles for us fans. I do think BG3 will turn out in the end to be the better game but if Larian are smart they will certainly be watching & listening to all the feedback around gameplay mechanics & what people enjoy in Solasta - its actually a good thing having them both in development at the same time. Solasta team may have a much smaller budget but they too will no doubt be observing feedback on BG3 & trying to tweak their offering...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tarorn
Yes I'll be picking up Solasta at somepoint too - they can be different but its so good to see hopefully what will be two excellent D&D titles for us fans. I do think BG3 will turn out in the end to be the better game but if Larian are smart they will certainly be watching & listening to all the feedback around gameplay mechanics & what people enjoy in Solasta - its actually a good thing having them both in development at the same time. Solasta team may have a much smaller budget but they too will no doubt be observing feedback on BG3 & trying to tweak their offering...

hear hear!

apprentice
apprentice
I will say 1 thing: PLEASE adopt the reaction system from Solasta, Larian.
Toggle is NOT a reaction, a reaction you're supposed to be prompted in the moment, not something you either always automatically do or don't do.
Like this is honestly my biggest gripe with BG3 so far.
Other than that I am loving this (minus bugs) and know I will love the final result.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Genky
I will say 1 thing: PLEASE adopt the reaction system from Solasta, Larian.
Toggle is NOT a reaction, a reaction you're supposed to be prompted in the moment, not something you either always automatically do or don't do.
Like this is honestly my biggest gripe with BG3 so far.
Other than that I am loving this (minus bugs) and know I will love the final result.

The way solasta does it is basically the only good way you can do reactions tbh

enthusiast
enthusiast
[quote=Genky]

Not just reaction, also attack of opportunity, smite etc.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Kadajko
[quote=Genky]

Not just reaction, also attack of opportunity, smite etc.

Those -are- reactions, reaction is a general term for all those type of options.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard