Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Angra Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A

I understand that it is in the D&D rulebook about Wizards needing to sleep to regain the ability to cast their fun spells again.
So why are the caster limited in this way and not f.ex melee or rangers.
For a ranger/melee you only need a nice chunk of ham and you are good to go onto the next fight bringing all your best.
yeah, I understand you cannot have us cast fireball every turn, but this is a problem per fight, should not be a problem for a 24h duration.

In this story we have a tadpole that we need to remove asap unless we want do be turned into a mindflayer.
So the time is off essence (yeah alright we players know that this is not going to happen not at least until the last chapter),
and still if we are in for a hard fight.
- "Please take into the nearest motell and and sleep for 8 hours, the minibar cost extra."

The story and the rules seems to be at ends here for Wizards.
Is it just me or....

of course this is fantasy and a game so everything does not have to mix, but it just feels like this story had been better in its own game without the D&D limitation on casters.

If one likes to immerse oneself in the story then the Wizard will be limited to cantrips for a long time, which might be fine against goblins.
But meet a charging monster with a big axe with a hp of hundred instead of 16 then your cantrip will really start to feel in adequate.

I'm currently just mentally ignoring the camp, just pretend it never happened and continue my rush against the clock.
How do you Wizards/casters feel about it?

addict
addict
Don't worry,

The tadpole is in stasis because of interference by a higher power, possibly the Absolute. You can take as long as you like.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Cantrips scale up in power as you level up. They are viable from levels 1 to 20 and keep pace with martial classes in terms of basic attack. Most sub factions for most classes also have a resource that needs to be recharged at rest.

Limitations force you to way through benefits of using a powerful spell or ability earlier in a dungeon against the cost of not having later. I much prefer this to POE2’s spell limitations pee fight, which I thought were bull shit and I did not enjoy.

I have no problem with the system as it is. I go to camp every 4 to 5 hours of play, which feels about right.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
There is nothing to say that your wizard can't use a crossbow or even a non-proficiency weapon* instead of spells. This was quite common for 3e/3.5e/PF where the cantrips were less potent than the 5e versions (usually doing 1d3 or 1d4).

But yes, as Warlocke points out, it is balance. Non-casters get abilities that need 'recharging' during short or long rests, but they tend to be less fundamental to the class build than spells are to Wizards. IF it helps any, higher level Wizards tend to overshadow their more martial colleagues. The Fighter may be able to Cleave through three adjacent enemies, but the Wizard can neutralise or blow up entire companies of the enemy with a flick of the fingers. Nothing funnier than Dominating a giant and making him fight against his mates while everyone else eats popcorn and lays bets. Or letting a Summoned owlbear loose inside the goblin camp.

* A suitably DEXtrous magic user can be surprisingly effective using Finesse weapons, even taking the penalty due to non-proficiency.

Last edited by Sadurian; 22/10/20 03:29 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
I’m very partial to taking warlock initiate on my sorcerers so I can cast a level 7 empowered scorching ray on a hexed enemy and if all of them connect doing 24d6.

veteran
veteran
I believe that managing your spell slots its just part of playing a wizard ... :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
P
P

Originally Posted by Angra

I understand that it is in the D&D rulebook about Wizards needing to sleep to regain the ability to cast their fun spells again.
So why are the caster limited in this way and not f.ex melee or rangers.
For a ranger/melee you only need a nice chunk of ham and you are good to go onto the next fight bringing all your best.
yeah, I understand you cannot have us cast fireball every turn, but this is a problem per fight, should not be a problem for a 24h duration.

In this story we have a tadpole that we need to remove asap unless we want do be turned into a mindflayer.
So the time is off essence (yeah alright we players know that this is not going to happen not at least until the last chapter),
and still if we are in for a hard fight.
- "Please take into the nearest motell and and sleep for 8 hours, the minibar cost extra."

The story and the rules seems to be at ends here for Wizards.
Is it just me or....

of course this is fantasy and a game so everything does not have to mix, but it just feels like this story had been better in its own game without the D&D limitation on casters.

If one likes to immerse oneself in the story then the Wizard will be limited to cantrips for a long time, which might be fine against goblins.
But meet a charging monster with a big axe with a hp of hundred instead of 16 then your cantrip will really start to feel in adequate.

I'm currently just mentally ignoring the camp, just pretend it never happened and continue my rush against the clock.
How do you Wizards/casters feel about it?

My wizard is a high elf with 14 dex and a +1 long bow. I can not even cast spells with him and still remain a very effective combatant. For that reason, I don't feel the need to abuse the current unlimited long rest mechanic.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard