Next Thread
Print Thread
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Hello all,

My main party is myself (rogue), Lae'zel, Gale, and Wyll. I've reached the level cap and done most of the content other than in the underdark. Everyone other than Wyll has access to at least +1 melee weapons now. But I can't find anything to replace his crappy rapier with. The only magical finesse weapon I've found as of yet was that short sword +1, which my rogue is using for backstabs.

Regardless, I'm all ears regarding better ways to outfit him.

Last edited by Telephasic; 22/10/20 07:23 PM.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
The 2nd merchant in the back of the druid camp(by the goblin prisoner) sometimes has a +1 rapier in stock. If he doesn't you can just go to camp and just keep reloading his inventory that way.

Thats 1d8+1 damage for the Rapier, and I think the short sword is 1d6, so rapier wins.

Also.....Eldritch Blast so who cares what he's carrying right? But that's kind of a smart ass answer lol

N
old hand
old hand
N
Rapier is the best I think. And he's got already one. So no need to search further.

Theres a Zhent halfling trader that sells a rapier +1 in the goblin fort interior. Though honestly its a waste to have Wyll melee. He's far better as an eldritch blast turret.

journeyman
journeyman
Randomly the smith in the druid grove will have a +1 Rapier, that is about as good as it gets for him, but as others have already said - he is much better off eldritch blasting (esp if you get repulsing and agonizing blast).

T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
Thanks guys. To be honest, I use Eldrich Blast with him 90% of the time as well, but sometimes an enemy gets in close quarters and it's better to use use a melee weapon - particularly when he can interrupt an enemy which disengages.

Q
stranger
stranger
Q
I play solo

apprentice
apprentice
After reaching the underdark and acquiring the bark, you can craft a masterwork weapon. I believe theres an option to craft finesse weapons.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Give him a staff with a spell on it.
He's a braggard about his name, but he's worthless with the blade really. A staff at least gives him another utility spell.

N
stranger
stranger
N
+1 rapier at the starting merchants. Ritual knife isn't bad for the off hand bonus bless. Steelforged sword near the masterwork weapon questline (under the ruined house in the wrecked goblin town).

That said... I did a warlock playthrough as fiend patron with tiefling race, and took Wyll on two complete EA playthroughs. I can probably count all the melee attacks combined across all playthroughs on two hands. You're MUCH better off worrying about Lae'zel' and Astarion's weapons than Wyll's, IMO.

J
stranger
stranger
J
yeah, for me Wyll was never a worry either. He is annoying and his starter spells are sub-optimal, he is always rotting in the camp. Usually together with the green menace.

veteran
veteran
Eldrich Blast

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Jilljedin
yeah, for me Wyll was never a worry either. He is annoying and his starter spells are sub-optimal, he is always rotting in the camp. Usually together with the green menace.

Eldritch Blast is one of the best spammable damage spell, even more when + CHA modifier on damage & abitlity to shove ennemy on it.

F
addict
addict
F
One trick with warlock is to equip a dagger in each hand. Then you can use your action to Eldritch Blast, then run in an stab your target for the LOLs.
[Warning, do not try this in a tabletop game, your DM will slap you.]

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by FrostyFardragon
One trick with warlock is to equip a dagger in each hand. Then you can use your action to Eldritch Blast, then run in an stab your target for the LOLs.

Except if you take warcater :p

journeyman
journeyman

This works in Baldur's Gate 3, but it's not actually allowed in D&D 5th edition rules. Two weapon fighting states that "When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon..." Spells, including cantrips such as Eldritch Blast, don't fullfill this requirement for using the bonus action for a second melee attack.

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Mythago

This works in Baldur's Gate 3, but it's not actually allowed in D&D 5th edition rules. Two weapon fighting states that "When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon..." Spells, including cantrips such as Eldritch Blast, don't fullfill this requirement for using the bonus action for a second melee attack.

This is definitely correct, and I would never, ever try to convince a DM otherwise...

(and not even Warcaster helps)

Link Copied to Clipboard