Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
CMF Offline
C
You guys know you can see your dice rolls if you open the chat window and mouse over the combat entries. States formula being used, what the bonuses that applied were, and the dice used as well as result? (not visible over head, but thats just cosmetic at that rate)

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by CMF
You guys know you can see your dice rolls if you open the chat window and mouse over the combat entries. States formula being used, what the bonuses that applied were, and the dice used as well as result? (not visible over head, but thats just cosmetic at that rate)

Which means extra work, not user friendly and overall wastes time.

Why be complicated when it van be simple?

Put the feature in with option to turn on/off. Everybody happy.

Last edited by Lumign; 22/10/20 06:27 AM.
addict
addict
Hmmm. Haven't tried Solasta myself yet but in accordance with what people are sayin in here, I wish Larian would play it and get some inspiration. What worries me though is that now when there already is a game more closely following the 5e rules, although not as polished as BG3, is that Larian will see this as an opportunity to stray further away from the core rules to diversify their game from Tactical Adventures. After all, the people that would prefer Solasta over BG3 based on their experience from the EA has already paid the full price for BG3 so Larian has nothing to lose.

Last edited by PrivateRaccoon; 22/10/20 06:37 AM.
C
CMF Offline
C
Originally Posted by Lumign
Originally Posted by CMF

Which means extra work, not user friendly and overall wastes time.

Why be complicated when it van be simple?

Put the feature in with option to turn on/off. Everybody happy.

It's a design decision I think at that point. Less or more clutter. Option to have it would be fine though. Not game breaking to me and seeing a dice roll doesn't make me feel better or worse about combat, that's just a psychological feelgood moment people are trained to enjoy.

D
D
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
Hmmm. Haven't tried Solasta myself yet but in accordance with what people are sayin in here, I wish Larian would play it and get some inspiration. What worries me though is that now when there already is a game more closely following the 5e rules, although not as polished as BG3, is that Larian will see this as an opportunity to stray further away from the core rules to diversify their game from Tactical Adventures. After all, the people that would prefer Solasta over BG3 based on their experience from the EA has already paid the full price for BG3 so Larian has nothing to lose.

If by "more polished" you mean better graphics, than yes. But in my book this words mean "closer to the finished product". And in this case it's actually the other way around.

D
D
Originally Posted by CMF

Yes we can see numbers. But we want to see the dice.

veteran
veteran
I didn't try solasta yet but from what I saw, it's UI looks more appropriate to me.

The general UI design fit better to such a game than BG3's random MMORPG UI. I don't find Solasta's UI perfect and I don't especially like the "too modern tone". It looks like the UI of a space game with alien and so on but anyway, it's still better to me.

BG3's UI is really undistinguished and very random. I'd like something a little bit more poetic and a little bit more specific to the theme and the world.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 22/10/20 07:03 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
N
old hand
old hand
N
I don't like Solasta's UI at all personally. It looks too web design and kills my immersion. I much prefer a UI grounded into the game like in BG3.

This kind of UI works well with games like Endless Space but certainly not with fantasy rpgs in my opinion.

Last edited by Nyanko; 22/10/20 07:05 AM.
endolex Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Nyanko
I don't like Solasta's UI at all personally. It looks too web design and kills my immersion. I much prefer a UI grounded into the game like in BG3.

This kind of UI works well with games like Endless Space but certainly not with fantasy rpgs in my opinion.

I agree regarding the colours, texture etc. - but I'm relating more to the UI "logic": where do you find which action, how are spells and actions organized, etc., which in Solasta makes a lot more sense to me than in BG3.
So basically, imagine the Solasta UI with wooden panels, nice sounds and all that, of course, but with its current logic behind. I believe that would be a good starting point to be both immersive and user-friendly.

D
D
Originally Posted by endolex
Originally Posted by Nyanko

I agree regarding the colours, texture etc. - but I'm relating more to the UI "logic": where do you find which action, how are spells and actions organized, etc., which in Solasta makes a lot more sense to me than in BG3.
So basically, imagine the Solasta UI with wooden panels, nice sounds and all that, of course, but with its current logic behind. I believe that would be a good starting point to be both immersive and user-friendly.

+1

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dastan McKay
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon

If by "more polished" you mean better graphics, than yes. But in my book this words mean "closer to the finished product". And in this case it's actually the other way around.

Yeah, I meant graphics. Maybe "polished" wasn't the right word to use. Sorry smile

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I didn't play Solasta (yet) but I watched some streamers. My opinion is just another coin in the jar so what I observed is:

- the 3D overlay map of the zone as well as the world map looks phenomenal; even shows your party moving across the world map with quirky updates of that adventure

- pathing looks precise and smooth; although in what I saw here some say it just looks that way and maybe it's not the case... the streamers didn't complain about it

- spell visuals blow BG3 out of the water. Looking at that they did makes me wonder if Larian fell asleep on that creative front when it comes to spells

- cutscenes look really bad by todays standards, but although BG3 cutscene visuals look great, the animations are bizarre (chars looking who knows where in a convo, over the top gestures/emotions, etc.) A for Effort to Larian for trying to do what they are attempting to do but it's not there yet. The appreciation for superb 3D chars is broken by glitchy or goofy facial gestures and whatever else.

- overall UI is - as some have said - minimalistic and does not match the game at all so Larian has the upper hand there on the artistic front. I doubt Solasta wanted to do it this way and my guess it was probably a budget/scope issue/team size issue.

That's all I got so far until I play the game.

Last edited by cgexile; 22/10/20 04:38 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by cgexile
I didn't play Solasta (yet) but I watched some streamers. My opinion is just another coin in the jar so what I observed is:

- the 3D overlay map of the zone as well as the world map looks phenomenal; even shows your party moving across the world map with quirky updates of that adventure

- pathing looks precise and smooth; although in what I saw here some say it just looks that way and maybe it's not the case... the streamers didn't complain about it

- spell visuals blow BG3 out of the water. Looking at that they did makes me wonder if Larian fell asleep on that creative front when it comes to spells

- cutscenes look really bad by todays standards, but although BG3 cutscene visuals look great, the animations are bizarre (chars looking who knows where in a convo, over the top gestures/emotions, etc.) A for Effort to Larian for trying to do what they are attempting to do but it's not there yet. The appreciation for superb 3D chars is broken by glitchy or goofy facial gestures and whatever else.

- overall UI is - as some have said - minimalistic and does not match the game at all so Larian has the upper hand there on the artistic front. I doubt Solasta wanted to do it this way and my guess it was probably a budget/scope issue/team size issue.

That's all I got so far until I play the game.

I agreed that Solasta spell animation is really good. Especially magic missiles. The story seems interesting, I finished the EA last night and I still enjoy their COMBAT immensity because it stuck to DnD 5E mechanic and rules (it's not slow or clunky imo). I do like BG3 for what it is (DOS) combat... This is not what I was looking for. DOS should stay in DOS and Baldur gate should stay in DnD 5e like Larian stated "faithful to DnD 5e. Anyways, I can go into all the detail that Solasta did so well combat, resting wise. Solasta is only a team of 17 people and with very small budget, their Kickstarter goal is 250K. While, Larian have millions and 350+ people. I'm amaze what this small indie have accomplished.

Last edited by Madoric; 22/10/20 05:29 PM.
addict
addict
+1 on most of the stuff i've seen on the thread about the rules and etc.

UI...can be better in terms of design, and making making it a little bit smaller? But it serves it purpose.

D
D
Faerie Fire feels really useful in Solasta, because advantage is rare. In BG3? Go behind enemy and get some backstab! Bah!

D
D
Originally Posted by CMF

And do you know in BG3 sneak attack is calculated by 1d6 x multiplier? So if you are level 3 rogue and u dice 1, your SA dam is 1 x 2 = 2. Lamest implement ever.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Solasta has some jank but straight away the combat feels better. Agree with a lot of what has been said here about why. I actually think the interface is a bit ugly but the interactions are better (for example prompts you more clearly on available actions before yielding turn). Also not making the first encounter an enemy type with a laundry list of resists doesn't create the feel bads. Just not trying to plan on two different systems at the same time makes combat more enjoyable.

Last edited by Panda Warlord; 22/10/20 09:09 PM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
Let's just hope they really take a good look at it, and realize sticking close to the ruleset can be a good thing and we don't need all this flashy it worked in D:OS so lets try to bring it into a DnD game, and not let pride get in the way of adapting.

Don't get me wrong I think having a highly interactive environment is a good thing and tickles my DnD senses, and the potential BG3 has is honestly at the stratosphere. But these crazy surface effects are not needed and when you start having to adjust the balance of a system that your using as a basis to support them, something that has been play tested for years.... and is already highly successful and proven. You don't reinvent the wheel from the ground up.

However in regards to Solasta... SRD is very unappealing to me personally.

Last edited by Fistandilus; 22/10/20 09:50 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted by Fistandilus
However in regards to Solasta... SRD is very unappealing to me personally.

They filled the blanks pretty well. I can't vouch for balance but it seems reasonable.
And they stated that just like any other unity game it support modding. So giving time your favorite subclasses will be available.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard