Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
In EA at least? I see that you can get special powers but I guess we will have to wait for the full game to see if there are any drawbacks.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
It's so convenient that I would be pretty damn surprised if it doesn't lead to some SIGNIICANT drawback when you keep taking advantage of it (i.e. using the tadpole leads you to the "bad ending").

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Yes, all your companions except Astarion will hate you.

T
addict
addict
T
I would not be surprised to learn that BG3 is going to herald a Psionics official release (assuming they finally settled on the subclass approach). I don't worry too much about using the psychic options that are just marked "Wisdom" but I am not touching anything marked with the tag "Illithid". I'm wondering if it is going to be analogous to overuse of Bhaal powers in the earlier games. If I remember right, that also caused bad stuff to happen.

Last edited by Thrythlind; 22/10/20 10:08 PM.
veteran
Online Sad
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
It's so convenient that I would be pretty damn surprised if it doesn't lead to some SIGNIICANT drawback when you keep taking advantage of it (i.e. using the tadpole leads you to the "bad ending").

Well I hope so too. Otherwise it would be poor game design.

apprentice
apprentice
I would assume and hope the same thing, I just think the amount of gameplay in the current version doesn't get you to that point yet, so I suppose we won't know unless Larian tells us in a V/BLOG or until we hit official launch.

Last edited by Genky; 22/10/20 10:30 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Right now using the tadpole after a certain point incurs heavy camp approval penalties, that I've seen. The first drawback might end up in losing one of the companions as you will have to deal with a confrontation.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Moirnelithe
Yes, all your companions except Astarion will hate you.

Oh no! ...anyway...

old hand
old hand
Faerнаn Health Ministry Warns: Using Tadpoles May Be Harmful to Your Health

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
addict
addict
My guess is that at some point in the story having abused the tadpole or getting the brand will railroad choice in favor of the Absolute (or whomever control the Absolute).

You will be mind-controlled, less or more. Might get a will save.

Maybe wearing a hag's mask all the time might counter it... lol.

Oh and Astarion doesn't appear to feel super well despite being the only one who approve. The tadpole also grows, so it might be unremovable if you use it too much.

Last edited by azarhal; 22/10/20 10:39 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
I would not be surprised to learn that BG3 is going to herald a Psionics official release (assuming they finally settled on the subclass approach). I don't worry too much about using the psychic options that are just marked "Wisdom" but I am not touching anything marked with the tag "Illithid". I'm wondering if it is going to be analogous to overuse of Bhaal powers in the earlier games. If I remember right, that also caused bad stuff to happen.

In BG1 nothing bad happened, but in BG2 everytime you used the slayer, your reputation would drop by 2 points, which in turn, if you overused it, could possibly cause a bad ending. Solar's reaction to you after Amelyssan is dead is tied to your reputation and not your decisions made in the game, which is... a poor game design, but that game was made 20 years ago so welp, it can be forgiven for such oversights. wink

But so far, in the EA, it doesn't really matter if you use your tadpole or not, mind you, in both my runs I did make it a point to never use it, I did reload earlier saves to see all the dreams though.

I even made it a point in one of my saves to not let Omeluum, that friendly mind flayer in the Underdark, mess around with my tadpole, since after he does so, it's 'strengthened' instead of weakened and you get a special tadpole power akin to those you get from dreams. Basically, I found those shrooms for him, but didn't drink the potion. Yes I know, he gives/sells you a ring that blocks the tadpole from growing stronger and you from using it's powers, but still. Quite curious if that little encounter could lead to a slightly messed up ending. Oh, and that ring can also be pickpocketed from him.

Last edited by Nicottia; 22/10/20 10:51 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
How do the dreams trigger btw? I've been pretty much resting at any excuse trying to get more camp events to happen.

Last edited by Thrythlind; 22/10/20 10:46 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
How do the dreams trigger btw? I've been pretty much resting at any excuse trying to get more camp events to happen.

You use the illithid options given in dialogues in game (you can use one of 'em when you meet Wyll, then one when you talk about his eye). Mind you, you can use them a limited amount of times. I believe it's 1/per long rest in the beginning, later you can use 2/long rest.

Last edited by Nicottia; 22/10/20 10:50 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Nicottia

You use the illithid options given in dialogues in game (you can use one of 'em when you meet Wyll, then one when you talk about his eye). Mind you, you can use them a limited amount of times. I believe it's 1/per long rest in the beginning, later you can use 2/long rest.

The dreams also advance if you use the special powers, use it enough times in dialogue the option changes to.

True Soul instead of illithid

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mozhad

The dreams also advance if you use the special powers, use it enough times in dialogue the option changes to.

Ooh, never had that happen to me before. wink Good to know. wink

Been kinda pondering doing some super evil run, but I dunno. I worry my heart would break watching the alternate choices/consequences. wink

M
stranger
stranger
M

Ooh, never had that happen to me before. wink Good to know. wink

Been kinda pondering doing some super evil run, but I dunno. I worry my heart would break watching the alternate choices/consequences. wink

The tag description is even more interesting.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The tag description is even more interesting.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Now that makes me rly wonder if the Absolute is really a 'god' how the tag refers to, or some sort of mortal trying to become a god, just like it had been with Myrkul, Bane and Bhaal, Kelemvor too, and sooooo many others. My spidey senses say that Bhaal is somehow involved though, what could tie the previous BGs into this one quite nicely, if done properly ... Ahhh full release can't come fast enough. Only about a year to wait and theorize.... Mmmmm.

veteran
veteran
Just some wild thought ...
Do you think that its possible that Absolute is Shadowhearth?
Its not like its first time we seen the mastermind behind whole scheeme secretly watching from first row.
And after all ... she is trickery cleric ... no one say that everything she say or do must be completely honest.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 23/10/20 08:24 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Its not like its first time we seen the mastermind behind whole scheeme secretly watching from first row.
And after all ... she is trickery cleric ... no one say that everything she say or do must be completely honest.

That would be really a contrived and disappointing plot twist. I’m pretty sure that won’t happen, as it really makes no sense why the Absolute would assist you in destroying her own army and killing off her own lieutenants, and would require a completely separate story when playing as Shadowheart.

Anyway, can somebody tell me what all of the tadpole powers are?

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

Funnily enough I read at least a couple of times a very similar speculation...
Except about Gale.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard