Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm exploring the chapel and cant figure out how to stop the rest of my party following Astarion while hes sneaking around.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
It's a bit confusing and clunky right now :

- Characters that are in a different state (hiding or not) dont follow you, at least those that are hiding dont follow characters that arent.

- You have to split you group by dragging portraits off other characters (you see a chain, pull it until it broke), it creates separate parties.

- Drag over characters to regroup them together.

There need to be an autofollow switch, in addition to formations, like in other BG titles (and a drag rectangle to select characters too).

apprentice
apprentice
Click on a portrait and drag it away from all the others until there is a space between it and any linked portraits.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by FenrisC
It's a bit confusing and clunky right now :

- Characters that are in a different state (hiding or not) dont follow you, at least those that are hiding dont follow characters that arent.

This is where I started having problems, I had the rogue waiting to open the door, then tried to set up an ambush around it as a choke point so I put everyone in sneak to try and do that, and then it all went downhill.

I will try separating the portraits.Or as it now seems to be working just Astarion's portrait.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 09/10/20 04:55 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
I'm exploring the chapel and cant figure out how to stop the rest of my party following Astarion while hes sneaking around.

I f8igured this out last night, by right clicking the individual group member you want to stay, there is a option to "Group" or Ungroup" click it they will stay there until you click Group again.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well on the other hand I accidentally saved my game less than 1 second before he got caught by the enemy group of 4 mobs welp and they are like super strong and I've tried 4 reloads and still fail oooop.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 09/10/20 05:43 PM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
The main issue is (as mentioned is various other topics) initiating combat become a real mess : only you grouped characters can "enter" turn-based combat at once, then you have to select others that are waiting in real-time, and unless they became visible by enemies (either by standing in LoS or attacking), they cannot join combat with turn-based mode (game say 'there is a combat nearby').

Thus resulting in a big pain to make you chars enter combat all at once (if you set an ambush you probably want that, and to know your initiative instead of randomly joining a battle).

It's also unclear about when you characters can play or not when entering combat after the first engagement, nor if they are able to get use of the "surprised" round like the first characters to engage do... very confusing.

Last edited by FenrisC; 09/10/20 05:45 PM.
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
This isn’t working for me. Both context menu and dragging. It’s happened two times after choosing to camp and end the day - the entire party which was grouped, becomes split. And I can’t get them back together. Even dismissing and inviting a character back doesn’t work.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Entering combat is pretty simple.
As soon as it begins, move the "out of combat" character(s) near the fight. Check enemy LoS (left shift). At this point you have two choices.
1) Wander into their LoS, which will put you into the fight, at a later point in initiative. I'd have to double check but I'm almost certain they can't act during the 'current' round.
2) Do something which will affect combat, before you are seen. Shooting them, casting something offensive... If you have invis (Imp/Qasit) ability, or trust your sneaking, you can go into their LoS zones. If you are detected you will be basically choosing option (1). If you succesfully sneak up to them, or are able to jump into a blind spot, your "affect combat" can be a melee attack. This will give you an action on the initial round, although your initiative will still have to be rolled.

It does feel a bit wonky, especially as your "out of combat" characters can move WAY further than allowed during a combat round, or take multiple actions (drinking potions, eating food, equipping gear, buffing people that aren't in the fight yet), because they are not in 'Combat Time'. This allows you to set up very strong ambush style scenarios, even when combat is started with just one person (Rogue) wandering around by themselves in the distance. Its almost as if you get to say "Actually when the fight started I was standing over there" as long as you can actually reach "over there" without being noticed.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf

The two ways I get my team mates to stop following is to remove the person from the party that I want traveling alone, or enter turn by turn mode.

Removal method:
1- select someone else as temporary leader.
2- Right click on the person you want to go solo (Astarion in your case), then choose "Ungroup"
3- Now select the person you want to go solo and the rest of your team stays put where you broke them off.

When you're done and you want to rejoin the party you can do a couple things: either a- switch back to a player in the "group" and have the soloist "group" by right click, or have the group move towards the soloist and group on that spot.

Turn-by-turn method is where you click the timer in the center of the screen to voluntarily enter turn-by-turn mode. You move the soloist at your whim and have the other characters stand around and choose "End Turn" immediately. When you're soloist is done, leave turn-by-turn mode, and your party rejoins the soloist.

Edit: apologies if these have already been suggested. I didn't read the entire thread before responding.

Last edited by Osiris0716; 23/10/20 01:13 AM. Reason: apologies for duplicating answers.

Link Copied to Clipboard