Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
But she did not explicitly say that it was the absolute.
Ketheric seems to be alive in some form and plays a part in the nightsong quest

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
addict
addict
Haslin's journal is interesting. The guy died while we were clearing the gobbos, after he got his ass thrown into the spiders.

The Shadow Curse was raised a century ago around the Moonrise Towers.

Last edited by azarhal; 22/10/20 11:59 PM.
addict
addict
More stuff found at the grove from reports/annals that you need to steal.

One entry mention it is DR 1492 in the Grove Annals, it has the exact date Haslin leaves with the mercenaries.

Haslin has notes about the Shadow Curse, it's of divine origin, especially mentioning Shar. He also links what the mercenaries are looking for to the Shadow Curse.

I guess we know from where the Netherese shadow magic is coming from now...

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by azarhal
Haslin's journal is interesting. The guy died while we were clearing the gobbos, after he got his ass thrown into the spiders.

The Shadow Curse was raised a century ago around the Moonrise Towers.

That means the curse went up during the spellplague

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
"I guess we know from where the Netherese shadow magic is coming from now..."

The tadpole tampering seems to be a more recent event. If there is a source of the shadow magic at moonrise towers it makes sense for someone to go there and exploit it. Why don't the tadpoles need to eat? Something must power them. We know that humanoids can be sustained by big ion stones, maybe the same works for splinters and tadpoles.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
addict
addict
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
"I guess we know from where the Netherese shadow magic is coming from now..."

The tadpole tampering seems to be a more recent event. If there is a source of the shadow magic at moonrise towers it makes sense for someone to go there and exploit it. Why don't the tadpoles need to eat? Something must power them. We know that humanoids can be sustained by big ion stones, maybe the same works for splinters and tadpoles.

The tadpoles are technically in stasis, that's probably why they don't eat. They are in suspended animation unless you use them going by the explanations after using them or getting it upgraded by Omeluum. If pocked enough they will eat chunk of your brain and grow bigger. Also probably why they can cause insta-transformation as seen in the ship if you play the console in one of the room. I said it previously, but I don't think the stasis is caused by the shadow magic. That's a modification done by the mindflayers. I think the shadow magic is what stop you and the other party members from being thralls and under the control of the Absolute from the get go, like all the others we have seen infected.

As for the shadow magic, my point was more that the only source had to be the Shadow Curse. Whatever it's just a side effect because it's all over the area (Haslin's note does say it corrupts everything living) or because someone is using it on purpose is something we will only understand once we have the rest of Act 1 I think.

old hand
old hand
The Mind Flayers have a legend about the "Adversary" - an unusual representative of the race who retained his personality before the transformation and plays his own game. Perhaps Lolth and Shar are also involved.

Most likely he is a strong psionic and a wizard, and in the Moon Towers will appear to us in the form of the Goddess Absolute, most likely in the same form in which he comes to us in dreams. This will be the illusion that we already saw in the first act. Thanks to his illusion, he managed to plant a tadpole on the goblin leaders without them noticing it.

Something went wrong with us, we have a tadpole and his power, but there is no direct control of the Absolute over us, and therefore we can reveal his deception. This is the main reason why he wants to destroy us, even if we are helping the goblins.

This is my guess

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
N
old hand
old hand
N
What if Shadowheart is also a justicar and this is the very reason part of her memory was wiped so she couldn't be discovered and killed until she finally gets to the nightsong and the absolute? Cause when you discover the helmet, she has the same magic manifestation on her hand that she gets when near the Selune statue in the village. I have this impression Shadowheart's story arc is deeply grounded into the absolute raise to power.

apprentice
apprentice
Interesting new tidbit I came across:

Upon the end of the evil playthrough's choices, the goblins around your Altar to the Absolute...

... call it a 'Him'.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Mister Monster
Interesting new tidbit I came across:

Upon the end of the evil playthrough's choices, the goblins around your Altar to the Absolute...

... call it a 'Him'.

How progressive of them. Maybe the absolute is gender fluid

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Abits

How progressive of them. Maybe the absolute is gender fluid

If the Absolute is projecting itself as your "dream partner" that you make in the intro then Larian is setting themselves up for some serious clownery.

veteran
veteran
I think Larian mentioned somewhere that your dream person is an actual person who will come into play later in the game, but I don't think the dream person and the absolute are one and the same. Are there any abstract gods in FR?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nyanko
What if Shadowheart is also a justicar and this is the very reason part of her memory was wiped so she couldn't be discovered and killed until she finally gets to the nightsong and the absolute? Cause when you discover the helmet, she has the same magic manifestation on her hand that she gets when near the Selune statue in the village. I have this impression Shadowheart's story arc is deeply grounded into the absolute raise to power.

Her mission is related to the mysterious artifacts she has. She's supposed to bring the box back to the Baldur's Gate coven.

Now whatever the Baldur's Gate Shar coven leaders are tadpoled and the mission is related to the Absolute is up in the air...

addict
addict
I think Larian mentioned somewhere that your dream person is an actual person who will come into play later in the game, but I don't think the dream person and the absolute are one and the same. Are there any abstract gods in FR?

No idea. I doubt diving into auxillary FR lore will help us understand it anyway, the story has to make sense in of itself and right now it just kind of doesn't.

Last edited by Vhaldez; 24/10/20 12:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vhaldez

No idea. I doubt diving into auxillary FR lore will help us understand it anyway, the story has to make sense in of itself and right now it just kind of doesn't.

It's true in theory but I feel like even bg1-2 didn't do a very good job in that department. The worst game in that regard was planescape torment actually. Half the time I had no idea where the hell am I and what the hell is going on. And no, the fact that the world is full of lore books that potentially explain everything does not qualify as good world building. Mass effect, dragon age, the Witcher, all of these games are good examples of games that thought you enough about the world through the story itself.

Last edited by Abits; 24/10/20 12:26 PM.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Game informer october 2:

"Will you be a beast taming mage-breaking charlatan halfling ranger with a toxic frog as a familiar, or a noble githyanki eldritch knight who let herself be seduced by the Absolute, with the ability to psionically drag her enemies towards her," says the team. "Or, will you go for a more traditional tiefling warlock who made a pact with the devil? The choices are endless!"

So I guess the dream person is really the absolute.

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
I am pretty sure that the dream entity is the absolute. But why doesn't it point us towards its supporters among the goblins? "Follow me, I promise you power. Meanwhile go ahead and butcher my goblin army."

addict
addict
I am pretty sure that the dream entity is the absolute. But why doesn't it point us towards its supporters among the goblins? "Follow me, I promise you power. Meanwhile go ahead and butcher my goblin army."

But the goblins are not the Absolute's army. That plot point is a little bizarre when you think of it. The goblins are just roped in by Minthara and promised things by Gut so they raid for the Absolute. The Duergar slaver and his gang as well as everyone we will meet once we get off the boat and any True Souls we have already met are the Absolute's real army.

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
A group of armed people fighting for me -> my army
Maybe the goblins could be considered mercenaries because they only work in exchange for what the absolute provides. But is that different for the True-Souls? Either they are in it for personal benefits or they are somehow enslaved.

addict
addict
A group of armed people fighting for me -> my army
Maybe the goblins could be considered mercenaries because they only work in exchange for what the absolute provides. But is that different for the True-Souls? Either they are in it for personal benefits or they are somehow enslaved.

The goblins betray you and if you go back to their camp you have to kill them all. Truth be told we have no idea what True Souls even do and you are the only one who is aware of Illithid meddling in Absolute business. Gut tries to imprison you if you tell her you are infected. If I had to guess I think they are all enslaved, but I have no idea what the Absolute thinks to gain from that.

What is a real shame is that in DOS2 you had a similar promise done right with Lucian. A "good" god with evil personal motivations for a greater good. Now though the Absolute is convincing literally nobody that they are some kind of all-powerful god, nor are they trying to stop something more powerful than all the gods like the void in DOS.

Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard