Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
As of this writing I have only had five different play throughs on the following race/classes:
Woodelf Ranger
Tiefling Warlock
Dwarf Cleric
Drow Rogue
Githyanki Fighter

During these five play throughs I always get the same option with Astarion when he asks for assistance. The first is essentially saying I can kill the creature he is talking about, while the second says something along the lines of "do it yourself."

Each option ends up with him coming at you with a knife. There are additional options that are afforded to the player based on class, stats etc, but my main complaint is that at least on my play throughs, it starts immediately with a knife and then changes.

T
T
Originally Posted by DrNikolai

During these five play throughs I always get the same option with Astarion when he asks for assistance. . . .
Each option ends up with him coming at you with a knife.

Yes Astarion always starts by drawing a knife on you (although if you make the perception check then you catch him before he can do anything), but I fail to see the problem with this?

In fact, it makes perfect sense, he’s lost, had a tadpole inserted into his brain, is confused by being able to walk in the light, and as a vampire isn’t used to being friendly with people.
He just wants information and as soon as he gets it, he apologizes.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by DrNikolai
As of this writing I have only had five different play throughs on the following race/classes:
Woodelf Ranger
Tiefling Warlock
Dwarf Cleric
Drow Rogue
Githyanki Fighter

During these five play throughs I always get the same option with Astarion when he asks for assistance. The first is essentially saying I can kill the creature he is talking about, while the second says something along the lines of "do it yourself."

Each option ends up with him coming at you with a knife. There are additional options that are afforded to the player based on class, stats etc, but my main complaint is that at least on my play throughs, it starts immediately with a knife and then changes.

Why is that a problem? You are a complete stranger that, for all he knows, is part of how he ended up in the position he's in. Shadowheart is no less hostile immediately upon coming up on her, she just doesn't draw a knife, and she mellows, a bit, if you tried to save her on the ship. I don't know what happens if you don't try, because I always try, just to spite Lae'Zel. In his case, however, it's far more disturbing to him, because he's standing there in broad daylight, and he's not on fire.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I feel that the PC should have additional dialogue options or insight. To me it does not make sense for the PC to say "oh sure" or to say "do it yourself" and immediately turn your back on someone you have only just met. The PC does not know at the time that Astarion is a vampire. When experiencing other conversations, the PC can do a variety of things such as insight, reading body language, wisdom, intelligence, survival, etc, that for some reason do not come into play with Astarion, but can be used everywhere else.

The way the Astarion encounter is setup to me makes the PC seem inexperienced in the world/life, and then all of a sudden after the encounter they can use their stats to make numerous checks in dialogue elsewhere. Even as far as checking other party members for deception.

Take Shadowheart for example, if you are a certain race she absolutely hates you, but you have options in dialogue to potentially make her friend or foe.

I am sure there will be more things added as this is early access, but my only complaint companion wise (if I had one) is the lack of conversation options upon initially encountering Astarion. Something like "sure ill help," "no do it yourself," "deception check," "Insight check" etc would make it better.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Astarion's first instinct is to kill you (well, he's a confused vampire who has just been abducted and subject to mind-flayer hospitality, cut him some slack). Not the best way to introduce a companion you are supposed to like to admire, but that's not really the reactions that Larian expect you to have at this point. I should say that, in D:OS 2, I often killed Sebille thanks to her similar less-than-auspicious introduction.

I agree that the possibility should exist for a better dialogue path at that point though. My take is that the choice allow you to be either be naive to the point of stupid, mockingly hostile, or passive aggressive. A PnP character would deserve to be attacked with those responses.

addict
addict
What is the point of a class character builder if the game storyline is completely built around companions? Whatever character you create, he/she/it will always be second class to these premade companions stories.
That is a HUGE departure from BG1 and 2.
For example, I want to play that Illithid lord creature, I want to experience HIS epic story and make it my own by deciding his background...then have these companions (in the beginning control them as slaves, and progressively get to know them...) support me on my quest to discover my true self...

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 23/10/20 02:52 PM.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
For example, I want to play that Illithid lord creature, I want to experience HIS epic story and make it my own by deciding his background...then have these companions (in the beginning control them as slaves, and progressively get to know them...) support me on my quest to discover my true self..

Did you used to play in Swindon in the late 1980s, because I'm sure I've encountered you as a player.... wink

I stumbled upon something rather strange/funny?

You know how quest log is always written in plural? I took that to mean "we" as in "our party", however if you choose to have that one night stand with Astarion, the PC is the only one to see his scars. Still the log reads "after spending the night with Astarion we..."?! WTF?

Maybe our PC has a backstory afterall - maybe he/she is shisophrenic or an intellect devourer? (No but really I got uncomfortable "Us" vibes from that, though it's probably just an oversight)

Last edited by Azarielle; 23/10/20 03:10 PM.
What is the point of a class character builder if the game storyline is completely built around companions? Whatever character you create, he/she/it will always be second class to these premade companions stories.
That is a HUGE departure from BG1 and 2.
For example, I want to play that Illithid lord creature, I want to experience HIS epic story and make it my own by deciding his background...then have these companions (in the beginning control them as slaves, and progressively get to know them...) support me on my quest to discover my true self...

I want to play a chef on an interplanar mission to gather ingredients to win Iron Chef Sigil! Why do I have to deal with tadpoles?

What? That's not the adventure? I'm shocked, SHOCKED that a module doesnt cater to every possible character!

I believe they stated they'll have custom companions later for all your mute packmule needs.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Oh, good. Someone else who regularly killed Sebille. She was a crazy arsed psychopath who wanted to kill you just for looking at her. I can kind of understand Astarian's reaction though since he saw you on the ship and thought you were an Illithid thrall. As soon as he realises you're not, he backs off.

A
stranger
stranger
A
My Tyr cleric got one or two pieces of God specific dialogue, so some exists if not much. I would like to see more.

T
T

But the BG3 story isn't built around your companions at all . . . its a new story where our main character is the driving force and making all the important decisions. All the companions are totally optional pieces.

Now the companions having more interesting backstories than our main character is another topic/issue. I don't mind it, in fact I prefer a blank slate so I can choose to be whoever I want. (I'd rather not be forced to be the spawn of a god for example!). I would however like it if we got the option to make a few more pre-selections about our history during character creation. And it would be nice if our 'origin' was referenced in the game.

Larian appears to be trying to allow us to craft the story we want . . .I mean we can start as an evil power hungry Drow and play the game that way, or be a goody two shoes, or whatever we want.

H
stranger
stranger
H
BG1 and 2 Characters were nothing super special. I am found of them but let’s look at them for what they were. In BG1 there was no character development for any of them. Some amusing dialog here and there but aside from Minsc and Boo, none of them were that amusing. I absolutely hated Khalid and would suicide him at the first opportunity.

Most of the characters had a reason to be friendly with you. EG Imoen grew up with you, jaheria owed gorian, saved Dinaher (sp?) for Minsc etc. also Minsc will attack you if you take too long.

BG2 tried harder with more dialogs but it’s still pretty shallow. Each companion has their quest where you get to know them better. Some changes to alignment etc, but nothing major. They are written well enough to be entertaining but aside from yoshimo no true surprises. All of them are pretty one dimensional with no shades of grey.

The only character with any form of a redemption arch is saravok. This is not to say it was bad but the companions are just fluff. I guess if the story is the Bhaal spawn saga that makes sense.

This is not the story Larian is telling. So far from what I have gathered the mystery is what do you have in common, why were you all picked, why isn’t the tadpole doing its thing.

Then the sub mystery and did plot. Shadowheart- are you connected to the village, will her memory come back, is she a true follower of what, etc.

Asteroin- obviously a fight is being telegraphed with his master, also will he want to remove the tadpole. He makes several comments (hags house for one) where he is happy with his new abilities.

Gale-is he telling the truth about mystera, or did he just attempt and pay the price. What is going to cost me to keep the wizard. His now obvious side quest. Also what happens if I leave him dead.

I am on my first play and doing a fighter so I am classic fighter thief cleric mage.

These are at least interesting characters so far with hooks that leave me wanting to know more. They are even very friendly at times depending on my decisions and opinionated if they don’t approve. The subtle code talking by the monster hunter had me chuckling. This is exactly what I want in a fleshed out NPC.

The characters also act how you would expect. For instance, A cleric of shar will not be a friendly open person. The moral struggle she is going through will create hostility and confused feelings. There is obviously some bugs not tracking exact progression, but overall she is being foreshadowed and small clues are being dropped. This is better writing than most games. We will see where it goes in the final version but it has great potential.

No one is more hostile then expected.

Also small point to the person, I’m on my phone so going back to quote just isn’t happening, that said hostile inconsistent reactions are not scientifically related to trauma, you need to read more studies especially surrounding ptsd. I had so many briefs in identifying PTSD symptoms when I was in the army it was ridiculous. Inconsistent and withdrawn behavior to hostile behavior is a hallmark. One minute the person can be normal and almost happy, and then all of a sudden withdrawn and hostile depending on the situation. Hell half of what were are talking about is the assessment they ask me every time I go to the VA.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard