Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Might be just my own personal pet peeve, but I'm not a fan of the mechanic in which your party can initiate the conversation with NPCs as if they were pc. It is especially annoying when such a thing happens on an accident. Which happens quite a bit.
For example, you are in the fight. The fight ends and there is now instant cutscene right after that fight. However, the cutscene is now using Shadowheart instead of your character and is treating Shadowheart in the same way as it does your character because she had the first turn/had the last kill. This really takes me out of the story.
Once more, this might be just my own unpopular opinion, but I honestly wish that conversations/cutscenes were locked only to the player.

enthusiast
enthusiast
they should just allow dialogues to be switched between characters.
Seems odd I can't let the wizard of the group take over a conversation that they are obviously more equipped to handle than my rogue.

T
T
Originally Posted by Eddiar

I agree, mid conversation character switches should be a thing!

old hand
old hand
100% we need to be able to switch character participating in the dialogue.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
+1 I Agree. Either that, or party leader should assume strongest traits and stats on all conversation rolls, based on entire party...if that is easier to program. However ideally it would be awesome to have the party member best suited take over the conversation. If I'm a complete idiot on History and my int is 8, I'm surely not going to try and talk to someone on that subject when I have a history buff wizard in the party.

stranger
stranger
I agree that we should be able to switch between characters. Not only because of the difference in abilities but also because different races and classes have unique options depending on the conversation.

Also, if you use a party member who isn't a PC, the other characters don't react to your choice. I understand the reasoning behind this, but I think it's not fair. If my character has low charisma I might want to use Wyll or someone else in social interactions.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Indeed ...
But also we should keep in mind that we are able to control other characters while one is talking ... wich also should (in some cases) be keeped.
If for example our non-talking characters can click on talking character and have there option to switch ... it would be awesome ... im not even sure if NPC's need to react on such action, after all ... we are all there and anyone can jump to anyone elses speach at any time ... right?

But it starts to get a little bit tricky in multiplayer. :-/
I gues talking player should get pop-up window sayng: "*XY* wants to switch with you ... will you allow it?"

//edit:
Originally Posted by Ashley1Black
Also, if you use a party member who isn't a PC, the other characters don't react to your choice. I understand the reasoning behind this, but I think it's not fair. If my character has low charisma I might want to use Wyll or someone else in social interactions.

Ofc. its not you they are judging then ... its Wyll.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 23/10/20 07:32 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
stranger
stranger
By reaction, I meant approval or disapproval of party members.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Eddiar
Seems odd I can't let the wizard of the group take over a conversation that they are obviously more equipped to handle than my rogue.

This is an even better suggestion than my own.

veteran
veteran
Yeah, I agree. We know that the function to allow other party members to "inject" into the conversation is coming, and that's fine.

But at least in single player I'd always want my main character to be the only one handling the start of a conversation.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
I absolutely agree with this. And when cutscenes triggers an auto-dialogue (Harpy boy, Tiefling at the lookout area for example), I would like them to default to the player character.

V
V
Yeah, it is pretty buggy at the moment, too. Sazza initiated the same dialogue three times automatically with all three party members, just because they were near.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
If for example our non-talking characters can click on talking character and have there option to switch ... it would be awesome ... im not even sure if NPC's need to react on such action, after all ... we are all there and anyone can jump to anyone elses speach at any time ... right?

I would treat conversations as they do turn-based mode - every companion within a bubble (can be smaller then Turn-based bubble) gets pulled into the conversation.

The biggest downside of group conversations would be that it would need to be designed for multiplayer as well - figure out how players would "fight for control". As it is, one players take over conversation and others can just vote.

I agree with this. I went into Blighted Village this morning and, having played through it before, started looking for ways I could pre-position some of my party on the rooftops by scouting with my PC. I jumped up on to a ledge and since the party doesn't jump on things you do, they started running around the long way before I noticed. Of course, that led to Lae'zel triggering the cutscene with her 8 charisma :P I used the parasite powers to prevent combat but then my PC, now leashing to Lae'zel came around the back of the building and started the fight anyway. Quite the clusterf*ck.

addict
addict
There are multiple ways this can be handled, for example if you have a certain Gith female in your party when you encounter her own folk, she takes over IF you let her.
Now for those situations, if a certain companion is more suited, then I would like more of this, no issue in taking a slight bac seat and letting it be about that character's story over mine. You still get to pick the options after all.

In other cases it would be great if one of the checks you could pick would be based upon one of your companions. If it's obviously Arcane and you have Gale with you, the Arcane option should be based on his observations7knowledge vs yours (as long as he is with you, i.e. in MP actually in vicinity of the conversation/event), At that point that character should take over in the conversation or interject cinematically.

Sounds like we might see more of that going forward, so a definite +1 from me. This should be about the PARTY and not just your character.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard