Print Thread
#713395 23/10/20 08:40 AM
D
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
Hey all,

Dont think ive seen a thread for this so I guess il make one. Am I the only one who finds picking the proper targets for these spells to be really convoluted? You should be able to pick your target but it makes an aoe and randomly picks which ones you get to buff or debuff. In groups with more then 3 targets its almost impossible to get the penalties to drop on specific individuals unless they happen to sit on the front or something. For bless I generally move the one that I dont want to bless just a little bit out of the way but in combat that isent always an option either.

Yet a spell like magic missle allows you to pick a target for each missle. So why dont they use the same targetting mechanic for bless and bane?

Would allow easy casting and not this convuluted system that they got right now smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Should just make it a full area based party buff and debuff, it's not even busted. Still miss with the buff and enemies can still dodge with the debuff unlike the unavoidable dmg crap XD. I mean on one side they have some insanely unbalanced gimmicky stuff and on the other they thought implementing the spell like this is balanced. Maybe if the game actually played like D&D.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 23/10/20 08:51 AM.
addict
addict
Saw it somewhere before but don't think it got much traction but yes. Spells like that need to let us pick our targets. It says so on the spell.

No idea which designer didn't bother reading and implementing it correctly. This should not even be a feedback EA thing that's how simple it is

D
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
Should just make it a full area based party buff and debuff, it's not even busted. Still miss with the buff and enemies can still dodge with the debuff unlike the unavoidable dmg crap XD. I mean on one side they have some insanely unbalanced gimmicky stuff and on the other they thought implementing the spell like this is balanced. Maybe if the game actually played like D&D.

Thats not how the spells works though. You can pick a number of targets depending on the level of the spell. But you can PICK. Its not an aoe spell.

R
stranger
stranger
R
+1 to being able to directly choose targets for bless/bane like magic missle etc, setting up for combat is already finicky enough with the current movement system without making things more complicated when bless won't hit the guy that's standing on a crate.

veteran
veteran
As long as combat is about blowing up barrels, drowning the opponent in surfaces and shoving minotaurs off ledges it doesn't really matter how exact Bane's targeting is.

But yeah I'd like to pick the targets. You kind of can when you move the targeting radius around but it's so clunky.

And I hope they remove the cheese tactics from the game asap so we can start the actual testing for more stuff like this.

journeyman
journeyman
Until they fix concentration saves, those spells are pointless. Which is sad because of the surface effects out there. I am not a big fan of how much surface effects there are, to me it brings the value of a lot of good spells down.

D
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Mezbarrena
Until they fix concentration saves, those spells are pointless. Which is sad because of the surface effects out there. I am not a big fan of how much surface effects there are, to me it brings the value of a lot of good spells down.

What about concentration saves is broken?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Originally Posted by Mezbarrena

What about concentration saves is broken?

Anytime you're hit with anything, it breaks. Even with high constitution chars, it breaks on any hit. (or I have never had it saved) Which I think is either a bug, or it's broken.

Last edited by Mezbarrena; 23/10/20 11:49 AM.
D
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
....ive passed enough tests to confirm its not broken like that.

At the other hand ive seen some weird things break concentration as well while they shouldnt so there defenitly is something wrong with the mechanic.

journeyman
journeyman
I have never passed one. Not one. I have a hex on a target and get hit. Broken. 100% of the time. Bless, broken, bane, broken.

I take that back the only spell that hasn't been broken on concentration check has been mage hand. That has persisted through hits. But anything else is broken after 1 hit from anything.

veteran
veteran
Concentration spells are impossible to maintain when you end up in a sea of fire in every fight and have to roll saves every time you try to move...or three times for a single Fire Bolt.

Last edited by 1varangian; 23/10/20 12:05 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Concentration save works but are totally worthless when you recieves that many instances of damage per round. Neither high CON helps nor resistance to fire. We also don't have a way how to gain advantage on concentration save like War Caster feat. Basically the only strategy is keep caster away from fight and use only spell like Bless.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Demoulius
Hey all,

Dont think ive seen a thread for this so I guess il make one. Am I the only one who finds picking the proper targets for these spells to be really convoluted? You should be able to pick your target but it makes an aoe and randomly picks which ones you get to buff or debuff. In groups with more then 3 targets its almost impossible to get the penalties to drop on specific individuals unless they happen to sit on the front or something. For bless I generally move the one that I dont want to bless just a little bit out of the way but in combat that isent always an option either.

Yet a spell like magic missle allows you to pick a target for each missle. So why dont they use the same targetting mechanic for bless and bane?

Would allow easy casting and not this convuluted system that they got right now smile

+1

This works perfectly in Solasta. You cast bless then get a marker to select the 3 targets you want to bless. I'm not sure why a small studio like Tactical can implement this feature but Larian decides not to.

journeyman
journeyman
Most likely because Solasta was built from the ground up for D&D whereas BG3 is being retrofitted to an existing game system. Or they just thought it would be easier wink

Eireson #713837 23/10/20 02:06 PM
apprentice
apprentice
However you can already cast offensive spells like magic missiles and choose multiple targets...the capability is obviously already in the engine.

Eireson #713870 23/10/20 02:32 PM
D
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Eireson
Most likely because Solasta was built from the ground up for D&D whereas BG3 is being retrofitted to an existing game system. Or they just thought it would be easier wink

I do think thats the case and the current bless is basicly a placeholder. Maybe they took a buff from DOS and reworked it to be in the game, not thinking about the fact that you can pick your targets?

Thats what I thought when I saw the aoe bubble for bless but multiple targets as a possibility for magic missle.

Link Copied to Clipboard