Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
I didn't start recording my findings early on so I can't be sure but it definitely seemed like there was some inconsistency in my results. I basically made multiple save files shortly after Zevlor knocks out the adventurer whose name I can't remember, then had Astarion go talk to Dammon. I tried to determined if their inventory was generated when you first talked to them, when they were first spawned in, or when their subzone (The Hollow in this case) was first spawned in. My multiple saves were all made within 7 minutes of each other and had Astarion starting from different ranges from Dammon. At first most of the results were different. While I didn't remember the exact inventories the gold totals were generally slightly different and I remember one or two items that stood out from each inventory that was generated so I knew they were definitely different. Strangely enough after repeating the experiment a few times three of my four saves began to yield the exact same inventory despite being different intially. He had the same 999 gold and the exact same items. Only my initial save farthest away from him yielded a different result but that result's inventory was consistent with itself from reload to reload.

Does anyone know what caused all of the other save files to eventually yield the same results despite giving different results initially? Does anyone know when merchant inventory is determined?

enthusiast
enthusiast
DOS was every time you level and every hour of actual play.

This seems to be the case in BG3 too from my experience

Love and sausages xx
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Originally Posted by 0Muttley0
DOS was every time you level and every hour of actual play.

This seems to be the case in BG3 too from my experience

I didn't level and my save files ranged from 2h 2m to 2h 9m so that doesn't seem to line up but I'll give it more time and see what happens.

veteran
veteran
If' it's anything like the old BG games, merchants inventory tend to be fixed and/or at most to update after a specific point in your progression.
They don't really "refresh" over time like they did in DOS 1 and 2, becausef the notable magic items in this game are supposed to be unique and hand-placed, not randomly generated trash.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
It updates every time you level up a peep. So only do one at a time get what you want, then level up the next peep...Rinse and Repeat.

journeyman
journeyman
I think I saw it change once after a long rest. Tho their may be some min time required between resets im not sure.

veteran
veteran
Man, that's pretty damn disappointing. I hoped they went for static inventories.
Not a fan of chasing after merchants' refreshes. I absolutely hated it in DOS 2 (and what's worse, that game made it somewhat a necessity, which I hope won't be the case here).

Last edited by Tuco; 23/10/20 03:34 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
I noticed this too after the merchant that had a +1 light xbow in my first two ranger playthroughs didnt have one in my third.

I thought that no vendor was offering a +1 heavy because that would be the strongest ranged weapon for EA and maybe they were somewhere in the goblin camp, but if its random then anyone could also sell a +1 heavy xbow.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tuco
Man, that's pretty damn disappointing. I hoped they went for static inventories.
Not a fan of chasing after merchants' refreshes. I absolutely hated it in DOS 2 (and what's worse, that game made it somewhat a necessity, which I hope won't be the case here).

If its like DOS2 then even the order you first speak to merchants affects what they are carrying wink very weird.

K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Eireson
If its like DOS2 then even the order you first speak to merchants affects what they are carrying wink very weird.

There's an angle I hadn't even considered. I'll try it out. Thanks!

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard