Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by pinklily
Some super judgy people in this thread. What's wrong with some fantasy fulfillment. Isn't that the point to video games... especially... fantasy ones...? I have a super happy marriage and almost exclusively play games that feature romance options. It's just what I like. Some people love guns and shooting and fps games are great for them. I don't but different strokes for different folks.

I can't speak for others but for me I just use it as more evidence of poor characterization and poor writing. I argued someone to standstill over their theory and was waiting for their response to get them in a catch 22 where I would bring up characterization and quote a few authors regarding the issue but sadly he didn't take the bait. I am vehemently against the necessity for romance options and the inclusion of sex scenes is top tier cringe.

Originally Posted by pinklily
That said, I think the romances as of Act one could use some improvements but I don't think they're inherently bad or unrealistic. Some are easy, some are not. I think it would be more immersive if, during the party, only characters you've already expressed interest in should ask you for quality time. Having a few flirtatious options in earlier conversations should establish this. This way, people who don't want to participate in the romance element can ignore it altogether or people who only want to flirt with a specific gender can control their experience. Plus, having flirt options beforehand would make things feel more immersive. I also 100% think there should be a follow-up conversation to the camp scene. It's kind of strange that there isn't anything of the sort currently.

They are unrealistic and poorly written on the basis of them being homogenous. The only exemption to this is Shadowheart who is poorly written for other reasons. What you described in your post is the need for characterization which is almost completely absent from the characters outside of their one dimensional trope.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DZs7
I find it funny (at least for now as it may end up with creative dumpster) personally as those most vocal groups not only most times are more despotic than anyone else, they contradict themselves and the best part the don't care about stuff like games and comics at all. Which some project and companies learnt hard way when they went with following this non sense.

I mean, I can get over that everyone likes and sleeps with everyone in game/story. But calling it anything other than the mob pleasing treatment is just non sense. It hurts writing, overall story and just limits characters. Best supporting examples for this would be games from Japan or like Eastern EU where they just don't bother about things like it at all.

Also imagine game in 2020 with white male character that hates or even is just afraid all women in general. Even with perfectly justified backstory like his mother beating and tormenting since childhood or just him having Gynophobia.

Yea, well, as I said - (western) companies will learn sooner or later. Wishfulfillment for infantile ego-manics is only fun/profitable for so long... and sooner or later, general audiences will be sick of it.

Last edited by WarBaby2; 23/10/20 10:34 AM.
addict
addict
Not just romances...cinematic dialogues in general are shallow with very few options. Romances feels totally unnatural, so it sticks out even more than the mediocre rest.
DOS2 BG2 handled way better, but you need to READ. And here lies to problem nowadays. Everyone has the attention span of a turnip unless you have cinematics.
Cinematics should complement your game (to a minimum for a better written story in my opinion...), not overtake it. Movies do a better job at that.

Check out the power of word. Now THATS choice :
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 23/10/20 09:57 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Shhh evidence, facts and reality are not welcome here.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
I think most of you are just desperate/lonely and love bad or cheesy writing.

No one that has ever read a good novel would find this good.

You might want to wind in the personal judgements here. For one thing you are wrong, and for another, you are being offensive.

Outside the world of D&D and similar games there is a huge increase in popularity of relationship and storytelling RPGs. The popularity of such games strongly suggests that people enjoy playing out social interactions and potential romances in their RPGs. CRPGs which have included 'romance' and relationship options for their PCs have won acclaim, and the relationship mechanics have been singled out by many people as being both fun and a major part of their enjoyment.

Your experience might vary from other people's but there is no need to go on the attack.

Last edited by Sadurian; 23/10/20 10:45 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Not just romances...cinematic dialogues in general are shallow with very few options. Romances feels totally unnatural, so it sticks out even more than the mediocre rest.
DOS2 BG2 handled way better, but you need to READ. And here lies to problem nowadays. Everyone has the attention span of a turnip unless you have cinematics.
Cinematics should complement your game (to a minimum for a better written story in my opinion...), not overtake it. Movies do a better job at that.

[Linked Image]

Hah, yea, well... I've given up on trying to convey the merits of actual RPG's to the current generation of gamers some time ago. It's all about the spectacle and illusion choice with the "youngens". laugh

Seriously, though, it is possible to transport a "deep", complex, and varied story with "modern" means... they just have to be used effectively.

S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Baraz
+1 to OP. Just blatant fact.

I took issue with two major quirks :

a) They all try to hook-up for sex no matter the lack of any attempt to figure the main character's sexual orientation or interest. See suggestions below.
Their sudden suggestions for sex appears out of the blue (no preceding dialogue hints leading to it).
Laezel was notably whacky : nothing remotely hinted towards an interest beforehand.

b) When you hook-up with one companion, the others all react like something was hurt and they are not subtle at all. It does not make sense.

And, like OP said here, they almost all seem to just want a fling rather than something more. Shadowheart is more subtle in the current version (though my lady Drow went for Astarion).

SUGGESTION :
- prior dialogue lines that "subtly" let's the player state his/her sexual orientation (men/women/bi)
- prior teasing or flirting should determine if a companion will express any form of jealousy or frustration during the party. Without it, the companion remains neutral on that level.

I just want romance in the game to be optional. I don't wanna play a dating (or banging this case) simulator in my RPG. And I am sure there are a lot of people thinking like me.

Last edited by sinogy; 23/10/20 10:51 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by sinogy
I just want romance in the game to be optional. I don't wanna play a dating (or banging this case) simulator in my RPG. And I am sure there are a lot of people thinking like me.

...and there is the problem: Voice work and motion capture are expensive, so making it totally optional is a potential waste of budget. So, either it's voven into the story somewhat realistically - and thus non-optional - or it's sudden and convoluted...

Last edited by WarBaby2; 23/10/20 10:57 AM.
S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

...and there is the problem: Voice work and motion capture are expensive, so making it totally optional is a potential waste of budget. So, either it's voven into the story somewhat realistically - and thus non-optional - or it's sudden and convoluted...

F that. If you price the game as AAA and want full price for EA then you have to work harder.

old hand
old hand

[Linked Image]

Hah, yea, well... I've given up on trying to convey the merits of actual RPG's to the current generation of gamers some time ago. It's all about the spectacle and illusion choice with the "youngens". laugh

Seriously, though, it is possible to transport a "deep", complex, and varied story with "modern" means... they just have to be used effectively.

Ah, to be a "youngen" again. I'm afraid that ship sailed for me before some of the people in these forums were born. The sad thing is, looking at all those choices, you only got about 3 outcomes. Sorry, were we discussing the "illusion of choice"? I've enjoyed my fair share, and probably a few other people's fair share too, of novels in my day. I've even picked up a pen to write a few pages here and there. But I'll take my illusion of choice in the streamlined version, tyvm. It's not like there were no "but that wasn't supposed to happen" moments when I had 11 choices of non-voiced dialog, after all.

old hand
old hand

F that. If you price the game as AAA and want full price for EA then you have to work harder.

That's great, except that they told you if you're looking for a polished and complete experience, to hold off on buying into EA, because it's not going to be that. What's hilarious to me are the people that don't understand what that means trying to explain writing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by robertthebard

[Linked Image]

Ah, to be a "youngen" again. I'm afraid that ship sailed for me before some of the people in these forums were born. The sad thing is, looking at all those choices, you only got about 3 outcomes. Sorry, were we discussing the "illusion of choice"? I've enjoyed my fair share, and probably a few other people's fair share too, of novels in my day. I've even picked up a pen to write a few pages here and there. But I'll take my illusion of choice in the streamlined version, tyvm. It's not like there were no "but that wasn't supposed to happen" moments when I had 11 choices of non-voiced dialog, after all.

3 outcomes, 11 different characterizations.

And you write?

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo

The fact that romance and companion relationship was a large part of the game has not been kept secret during development or release. It was all over the Larian websites and all over the previews. If you object to playing games that contain such content, why on earth did you buy the game?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Don't forget the sex scenes.

enthusiast
enthusiast

One might think so... but we are talking about an industry that increasingly hires their "talent" based on factors other then merit, here. wink

S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S

One might think so... but we are talking about an industry that increasingly hires their "talent" based on factors other then merit, here. wink

yeah and that is cancer, not only for gaming industry but also for many more others...

enthusiast
enthusiast
We know, tell Larian.

S
sinogy Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Sadurian

The fact that romance and companion relationship was a large part of the game has not been kept secret during development or release. It was all over the Larian websites and all over the previews. If you object to playing games that contain such content, why on earth did you buy the game?

How is it a large part of the game ffs? Speak based on your experince not based on corporate marketing talk.

You just hook up once Which is completely avoidable btw ( that means you can complete the game without having any intimate relationship with any one even if the system is there) and that was the whole so called romance thing throughout the whole Act.

Start thinking before posting.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Argonaut

3 outcomes, 11 different characterizations.

And you write?

I'm sure this is going to be hard for you to understand, but the illusion of choice includes "I'm going to say 11 different things, but you could get the same results just picking 1-3". Hey, I can say whatever I want, but if the character is going to rent me that room for full price, half price or free, why waste the time with all those other options? "But my characterization"!!!!eleven11111", bah. When the protagonist isn't voiced, the characterization is on you anyway. If you can't translate an attitude through one selection of text that suggests it, but need someone to spell it out for you, are you really role playing in your role playing game, or are you waiting for someone to hold your hand?

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Sadurian

How is it a large part of the game ffs? Speak based on your experince not based on corporate marketing talk.

You just hook up once Which is completely avoidable btw ( that means you can complete the game without having any intimate relationship with any one even if the system is there) and that was the whole so called romance thing throughout the whole Act.

Start thinking before posting.

Ah, nothing like reasoned debate.

Absolutely nothing like it.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard