Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I've played dice pool games and I'm not a fan (for several reasons, but this thread isn't about that).

I'm sure that DDO used to use a d20 system. Has it gone in another direction now?

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Sadurian
I've played dice pool games and I'm not a fan (for several reasons, but this thread isn't about that).

I'm sure that DDO used to use a d20 system. Has it gone in another direction now?

If this old thread is any indication then they've made it a fairly minor role: https://www.ddo.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-471065.html?s=ee717d17771bf0c902fb3e4b3bcb0c89

Seems like most D&D systems break at the higher end of things.

D
D
Originally Posted by Limz
Originally Posted by Sadurian

If this old thread is any indication then they've made it a fairly minor role: https://www.ddo.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-471065.html?s=ee717d17771bf0c902fb3e4b3bcb0c89

Seems like most D&D systems break at the higher end of things.

Pathfinder 2e uses d20 system, but at some point proficiency bonus gets so high the only way to miss is to roll 1. Rogue expertise fill that niche in DnD 5e, but thy got lost in early access

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Given Pathfinder's development history and raison d'etre, I imagine we'll see D&D ditch the d20 before Pathfinder does.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by CMF
I am playing solasta as we speak, and more satisfying combat is subjective. I am actually not impressed, yet I know a lot are. So this comes down to personal preference.

Do you want a faithful implementation of 5e rules? No, so obviously you won't enjoy it.

You want something akin to DOS3 which you will eventually get, now kindly let DnD be DnD.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by CMF
*Snip*
- Disengage was available, but it took an action so you could not use that and then attack again. BUUUT, you could still just run behind them and attack for a flank. BG3 permits you to move while engaged with mulitple targets to jump behind them and not having to risk an attack of opportunity in order to get a flank on your primary target.

See that right there shows you do not understand 5e at all. There is no "flanking" in Solasta. There is "engaged" which allows the rogue to proc their sneak attack if the enemy is already engaged by someone else. However, in that case the Rogue would be able to use their bonus action to disengage, reposition AND attack. Sorry it become more and more apparent that you are criticising a system you have no understanding of.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by CrestOfArtorias
Originally Posted by CMF
I am playing solasta as we speak, and more satisfying combat is subjective. I am actually not impressed, yet I know a lot are. So this comes down to personal preference.

Do you want a faithful implementation of 5e rules? No, so obviously you won't enjoy it.

You want something akin to DOS3 which you will eventually get, now kindly let DnD be DnD.

Exactly this, 100% agree. People moaning about BG3 being like D&D and not like DOS

As a response to the haters;

I've seen threads like this on multiple fora 'OMG d20 system is trash for combat',
1) Git gud, L2D&D.
2) Personal preference kiddo.
3) Play another game.

The combat system works, and if you've enjoyed 5e I assume you're more likely to enjoy BG3 too than if you've only played DOS2.
Is it perfect, no. But it has it's charm. But remember just because 'you' don;t like it, does not mean it's trash.
RNG is upsetting to some, but just roll with it, pun intended.

'I have a 90% chance of hitting, but I miss 3 times in a row! OMG so mad' Suck it up buttercup, it happens.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard