Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Joined: Oct 2020
vel Offline
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
@Sludge Khalid for site hosting Wix, Weebly, or WordPress would get you some basic hosting for free.

Please keep sharing the results as you get more!

Last edited by vel; 23/10/20 02:17 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by vel
@Sludge Khalid thanks so much for putting this survey together. When you have more responses, please endeavor to get Larian to at least see/read it, i.e. send via Twitter, email, all the forums etc.

The survey questions are clearly biased towards 5e purists. I agree with most of the leading questions though. They really need to drop some of the homebrew rules especially imbalances with elevation advantage, surfaces, throwables.


Hi Vel!

At the same time I agree the questions are biased leaning toward 5e Purists, I’ve used the trending topics gathered here in the community and I focused mainly in the experience of the client other than adding annoying bug complaints which we know that 100% will be solved in the official release.

After all, when we buy a car we’re worried about comfort, engine power, safety, etc. and we’re never worried if the car will come with 4 wheels :p

I thank you for all the support!

Joined: Oct 2020
S
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Most of the questions feel like a fishing expedition for 5e purists. It's not even subtle, every change is labeled as "homebrew" and the game is framed as interpreting the rules rather than implementing them. The rest of the survey is the sort of generic questioning that, if it was needed, could be much better handled by a real survey in the client. Overall it's hard to fathom a genuine use for this survey besides giving 5e snobs something to point at when they say no one likes the changes even though they're the main people who will care about responding to this survey.

Last edited by Sunfly; 23/10/20 03:23 PM.
Joined: Oct 2020
vel Offline
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
@Sunfly while the bias in the survey questions towards 5e purists is true, if you look through the results you'll see it's not just 5e purists represented.

There are some things there's wide agreement on (less surfaces / nerf them) while there are other things with no agreement (shove, backstab bonuses).

Joined: Oct 2020
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Sunfly
Most of the questions feel like a fishing expedition for 5e purists. It's not even subtle, every change is labeled as "homebrew" and the game is framed as interpreting the rules rather than implementing them. The rest of the survey is the sort of generic questioning that, if it was needed, could be much better handled by a real survey in the client. Overall it's hard to fathom a genuine use for this survey besides giving 5e snobs something to point at when they say no one likes the changes even though they're the main people who will care about responding to this survey.


The survey was built in a way that anyone can fill it and it was based on the major feedback of the community. Why are you afraid of the results?

Do a better one and I’ll fill it. I’m not afraid of being the minority. I’m afraid of a company who supposedly acts like it cares for people opinion not structuring a research for their customers.

The funny fact is that we’re here in Larians ground (their forum) and the results points that they are not happy with their homebrewing = the main problem is the research

If you want only butterflies I suggest going to Reddit where they use the game as The Sims 4:medieval simulator and be happy.





Joined: Oct 2020
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Here's the average comparing the results of people who are familiar with DnD5e (YES) vs (NO)

https://imgur.com/KAcSU4N

Last edited by Sludge Khalid; 23/10/20 04:08 PM.
Joined: Sep 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
Here's the average comparing the results of people who are familiar with DnD5e (YES) vs (NO)

https://imgur.com/KAcSU4N

Interesting. Looks like the biggest difference is height/backstab advantage: Those not familiar with 5e like it, whereas those familiar with 5e have a (slight) dislike for it...

Keep up the good work btw; I'm excited to see the survey results when more people reply!

Joined: Jun 2019
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Jun 2019
Not shcoked that AC nerf/HP bloat is the most hated homebrew rule.

[Linked Image]

Joined: Oct 2020
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
Here's the average comparing the results of people who are familiar with DnD5e (YES) vs (NO)

https://imgur.com/KAcSU4N

Interesting. Looks like the biggest difference is height/backstab advantage: Those not familiar with 5e like it, whereas those familiar with 5e have a (slight) dislike for it...

Keep up the good work btw; I'm excited to see the survey results when more people reply!


My guess about that matter is that usually people don’t have clear opinion on advantage so far because they don’t have a clear vision of the impact in the level 4-10 tier of the gameplay where the crowd control spells are GOLD.
Also, they couldn’t use barbarian, samurai (xanathars) etc. Guiding bolt was the only spell that was really affected so far and the impact couldn’t be noticed clearly.

Joined: Oct 2020
D
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
D
Joined: Oct 2020
thanks so much for the effort. We can just pray that larian notices it.
It would be a shame if they didnt.

My first take away reviewing the answeres is:
Anything that directly and heavily fucks with the DnD combat balance a nightmare for the majority. Hence the most given rating for all of the homebrews (stealth, surface) etc is zero (except for dip, wich i guess noone really cares about). It seems that most of the people who are giving feedback here in EA are do have a Tabletop RPG background. That could also be an indicator as to why the vast majority of people prefers turn based.
That is not very suprising as owlcat also patched kingmaker for a turnbased mode, as the demand was so damn high.

Indeed one of my first thoughts, just when i heard that larian is gonna make BGIII happen, was: "oh yes. they did such a brilliant turn based Combat system in DOS2, wich felt lightweight and streamlined. They can easily transfer that to DnD5e and it might be a dream come true of a PC game, that gets very close to the tabletop experience". Then kingmaker released the turn based mod and i was even more exited about BGIII, as it was so enjoyable.
I dont know about you, but the beauty about it is (at least in kingmaker), that you really getting the feel of anticipation for everything that happens. be it the mighty fireball or the auto-attack of your greatsword fighter. On RTWP most of the time you only control spells activly and only switch focus of your auto attackers every now and then. Now i can really enjoy the martial damage my fighter or ranger is putting out. it is more prominent.

getting back to my point: It seems to be a trend, that everything disconnected from the combat, where the actual DnD5e Rules have the heaviest influence, is not even remotly as negativly graded. Most things that are disconnected from the combat systems are graded decent if not good.

And i really feel that.
I´m kind of struggling as probably many. at least that is what i make of the answers.
this game has some beatiful elements to it. It has some innovation that is really good. We see that in the survey. If DnD5e did not exist, and larian came up with that: I would probably rate this game way higher than i do right now.
It kinda feels like being unfair to larian, but the negativity comes from the disappointment. Larian Studios is clearly, without a shadow of a doubt, a very very good game studio, capable of making great and enjoyable games. It would be absoluty in their realm of possibilities to make BG3 a DnD5e PC game. But they activly chose not to.
And thats what drives me mad at the game. If this game was absolutely disconnected from DnD, i would possible rate it a 9 out of 10. But it isnt. It should be a DnD5e game, and they chose to not make it it one. This disappoints me so much, that i cant give that game the appreciation it probably deserves, if you have no boundries with DnD or Tabletop RPG whatsoever.

I think the survey represents this thought a little. Is the surface stuff really a 0/10 in and of itself? Or is it only a 0/10 because it is alien to DnD and screws of the feeling of a DnD fight. Would you rate it 0/10 if you didnt know DnD? or formally they didnt chose to run "DnD-based". I think not, at least for me....




Last edited by DuderusMcRuleric; 23/10/20 04:32 PM.
Joined: Jan 2011
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jan 2011
Quite extensive survey, well done.

I see a big theme is 5e by the book vs Larian's interpretation/adjustments "house rules".

Playing Solasta I think in general we feel they are tighter to 5e, which is nice, but lets talk about some of the perils that have been echoed in other tactical TB games over and over and that is things like an "abundance of misses".

Sitting at a table and having misses you sort of laugh it off as a group, "oh shit!", it is slower moving, even though you missed the anguish hits the senses differently because of your surroundings. Your next bud and thinking "I got your pack, let me show you how it's done", you feel this.

In a pc game you quickly realize how random a 20 die is, you are "alone" playing all your guys in a sense are you so you can't laugh it off with others (less coop), then recalling other similar game forums on how gamers put games over the grate with complaints of miss miss miss, the game is all RNG, I hate that! talk. So I feel a lot of these questions plays into this thing here and it is delicate. Possibly the proverb of "careful what you wish for".

A newer thing for me is a 20 die roll for dialog choices in games, both games have them and one can see that is going to cause a ruckus in forums or save scumming. I wanted to ask this to the NPC, but I can't because a 20 die failed, things like that. Not sure that is going to go over well for the masses.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 23/10/20 05:48 PM.
Joined: Sep 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
A newer thing for me is a 20 die roll for dialog choices in games, both games have them and one can see that is going to cause a ruckus in forums or save scumming. I wanted to ask this to the NPC, but I can't because a 20 die failed, things like that. Not sure that is going to go over well for the masses.

True. I do hope that the final product will have many more degrees-of-success in dialogue checks, where a failure by <5 is treated differently as a failure by 10+. Right now it is very frustrating to miss a dialogue DC by 1 and the result being forced combat, a kid dies, etc

Joined: Oct 2020
P
stranger
Offline
stranger
P
Joined: Oct 2020
Showing the dice rather than hit or miss would help a lot I think. And I appreciate this kind of survey. Putting together a data driven way of gathering opinions can only be helpful.

Joined: Oct 2020
S
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
Originally Posted by Sunfly
Most of the questions feel like a fishing expedition for 5e purists. It's not even subtle, every change is labeled as "homebrew" and the game is framed as interpreting the rules rather than implementing them. The rest of the survey is the sort of generic questioning that, if it was needed, could be much better handled by a real survey in the client. Overall it's hard to fathom a genuine use for this survey besides giving 5e snobs something to point at when they say no one likes the changes even though they're the main people who will care about responding to this survey.


The survey was built in a way that anyone can fill it and it was based on the major feedback of the community. Why are you afraid of the results?

Do a better one and I’ll fill it. I’m not afraid of being the minority. I’m afraid of a company who supposedly acts like it cares for people opinion not structuring a research for their customers.

The funny fact is that we’re here in Larians ground (their forum) and the results points that they are not happy with their homebrewing = the main problem is the research

If you want only butterflies I suggest going to Reddit where they use the game as The Sims 4:medieval simulator and be happy.


I don't think you know what the word afraid means, if you were good with words though you'd probably have written a better survey. You can throw as loud of tantrum you want but it doesn't change that your survey is trash that exists for the sole purpose of generating the illusion of evidence for its premise. I think the most telling thing of all though is that rather than actually reply to anything I said you went on some long tangential rant about how I must not like the message or something and I just can't handle your tell it like it is attitude I guess. Go back to school and try not to flunk out this time.

Joined: Oct 2020
vel Offline
member
Offline
member
Joined: Oct 2020
@Sunfly that wasn't very helpful. Personal attacks don't bolster your counterargument.

Sludge Khalid seems to just be trying to help, even if his survey is biased.

Joined: Oct 2020
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Sunfly
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
Originally Posted by Sunfly
Most of the questions feel like a fishing expedition for 5e purists. It's not even subtle, every change is labeled as "homebrew" and the game is framed as interpreting the rules rather than implementing them. The rest of the survey is the sort of generic questioning that, if it was needed, could be much better handled by a real survey in the client. Overall it's hard to fathom a genuine use for this survey besides giving 5e snobs something to point at when they say no one likes the changes even though they're the main people who will care about responding to this survey.


The survey was built in a way that anyone can fill it and it was based on the major feedback of the community. Why are you afraid of the results?

Do a better one and I’ll fill it. I’m not afraid of being the minority. I’m afraid of a company who supposedly acts like it cares for people opinion not structuring a research for their customers.

The funny fact is that we’re here in Larians ground (their forum) and the results points that they are not happy with their homebrewing = the main problem is the research

If you want only butterflies I suggest going to Reddit where they use the game as The Sims 4:medieval simulator and be happy.


I don't think you know what the word afraid means, if you were good with words though you'd probably have written a better survey. You can throw as loud of tantrum you want but it doesn't change that your survey is trash that exists for the sole purpose of generating the illusion of evidence for its premise. I think the most telling thing of all though is that rather than actually reply to anything I said you went on some long tangential rant about how I must not like the message or something and I just can't handle your tell it like it is attitude I guess. Go back to school and try not to flunk out this time.


How does it feel being so out of arguments that you must rely on ad hominem attacks? I advise increasing the dosage of those antidepressants that you use because your life is not happy enough.

Joined: Oct 2020
S
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
Originally Posted by Sunfly
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
Originally Posted by Sunfly
Most of the questions feel like a fishing expedition for 5e purists. It's not even subtle, every change is labeled as "homebrew" and the game is framed as interpreting the rules rather than implementing them. The rest of the survey is the sort of generic questioning that, if it was needed, could be much better handled by a real survey in the client. Overall it's hard to fathom a genuine use for this survey besides giving 5e snobs something to point at when they say no one likes the changes even though they're the main people who will care about responding to this survey.


The survey was built in a way that anyone can fill it and it was based on the major feedback of the community. Why are you afraid of the results?

Do a better one and I’ll fill it. I’m not afraid of being the minority. I’m afraid of a company who supposedly acts like it cares for people opinion not structuring a research for their customers.

The funny fact is that we’re here in Larians ground (their forum) and the results points that they are not happy with their homebrewing = the main problem is the research

If you want only butterflies I suggest going to Reddit where they use the game as The Sims 4:medieval simulator and be happy.


I don't think you know what the word afraid means, if you were good with words though you'd probably have written a better survey. You can throw as loud of tantrum you want but it doesn't change that your survey is trash that exists for the sole purpose of generating the illusion of evidence for its premise. I think the most telling thing of all though is that rather than actually reply to anything I said you went on some long tangential rant about how I must not like the message or something and I just can't handle your tell it like it is attitude I guess. Go back to school and try not to flunk out this time.


How does it feel being so out of arguments that you must rely on ad hominem attacks? I advise increasing the dosage of those antidepressants that you use because your life is not happy enough.


That's not how ad hominem works, I wasn't insulting you to discredit your point I was insulting you because you did a bad job and responded to criticism like a child. Again, go back to school.

Last edited by Sunfly; 23/10/20 06:09 PM.
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Location: Oxford
Originally Posted by Sunfly
That's not how ad hominem works, I wasn't insulting you to discredit your point I was insulting you because [...]

And that will get you suspended if you keep it up. Knock it off.


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Oct 2020
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Joined: Oct 2020
Thank you, for maintaining the survey on the top page. Next.

Joined: May 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: May 2020
Originally Posted by SorcererVictor
Not shcoked that AC nerf/HP bloat is the most hated homebrew rule.



The problem is that this directly reflects difficulty. I would say that this is the one area that Larian should ignore the responses, and probably will. In the end it is a video game where players with a wide variety of ability will have to find satisfaction with combat. They are proven to know how to balance combat. This issue is much better addressed with difficulty settings that will appear eventually.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5