Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#704856 18/10/20 03:21 PM
yetibob Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Perhaps my friends and I are literally the only group of 4 people on Stadia try to play co-op (or I would expect to see more about this), but joining a co-op game on Stadia is virtually impossible. I'm part of a party who played Divinity every Sunday morning and since we just finished out playthrough we've tried to do the same thing with BG3 on Stadia and we burn multiple hours just trying to play together. I'll call us PC-C, PC-A, CC-M and CC-H where the first two letters are the platform we're on (Desktop PC or Chromecast) and the other letter is just an initial to help me keep things straight.

Play attempt 1 (10/8): Honestly don't remember specifics but PC-C tried to host the game several times, we were creating our characters and CC-H hit a bug where they went to their love interest early and couldn't get back to finish creating their character. After that, no matter how many attempts, no one could join PC-C after trying to start from scratch. We eventually wound up getting everyone's into a game hosted by CC-M. We got through character creation and played some on the ship.

Play attempt 2 (10/11): CC-M tried to invite us after loading our saved game, every attempt gave everyone an error message claiming there were no characters available to be assigned to them. CC-M found the session management screen and couldn't find any way to free up characters using the controller, so we decided there must not be good controller support so it might be a bad idea for someone on Chromecast to own our saved game, so we flushed that down the toilet and decided to start from scratch with PC-C hosting again. Tried inviting everyone, can't remember specifics again, but one person's game crashed trying to join and then that person was never able to re-join us at character creation. Despite completely killing the game, that person was never able to rejoin. We tried hosting with one of the CC hosts starting a new game and invite everyone, somewhere along the way we came to the conclusion that once someone left the game, it was impossible for them to re-invite someone. Remembering our lesson about wanting to make sure a PC host the game, we put all our eggs in the PC-A basket and were able to successfully get everyone in and played for a good 3 hours.

Play attempt 3 (10/18): PC-A Loaded the game, invited us all, CC-M and CC-H were able to join, PC-C just got the same "Joining Failed: Something happened on our end. Try again" like 20 times, Literally no attempt at even a loading screen, immediate failure. Taking note of the 2 characters who were able to join on CC, C moved from PC to CC, same error, not even a loading screen. We decided to kill the game in Stadia. PC-C and CC-H joined successfully, CC-M got an error saying there were no characters free. Couldn't find any way to "free" up a character. Killed the game, started over, same exact experience. Concluded there was something about the 4th player joining. Killed everything, decided to invite one person at a time. PC-A loaded the save, invited _just_ CC-M, he got a loading screen! He got into the game successfully... Someone else's game... He was in a game with strangers. He killed that, we spent the next 90 minutes taking turns being invited one person at a time, into the game hosted by PC-A to no avail, in that time we had 2 instances where anyone was able to successfully connect, but never all of us. We decided to try loading the game saved on CC-M, didn't get anyone in successfully. Then we decided to try having PC-C start a new game (create on multiplayer), invited everyone, CC-M's invite crashed, both CC-H and PC-A wound up loading into strangers games... We're giving up

Are we the only 4 people playing on Stadia with an actual 4-person party? Is Larian just concentrating on Steam and leaving us high and dry? I know the first 2 days the Multiplayer menu couldn't even load on Stadia, which implies they're not trying _super_ hard since that seems like it would jump out to QA pretty quick. If Steam is the priority, I can live with that, but I'd love some communication of that point so that we don't waste 2 hours every Sunday trying to load a version no one is paying any attention to...

yetibob #705589 18/10/20 11:58 PM
stranger
stranger
Having basically the same experience on Stadia with 2 of us - we've never been able to continue a saved co-op game we've created.

yetibob #707791 20/10/20 12:43 AM
L
stranger
stranger
L
We got it working once on Stadia ... but having problems again tonight. My thread is here:

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=687677

yetibob #714122 23/10/20 05:44 PM
stranger
stranger
Same issue 2 player on Stadia cannot load save 2 player game had to restart twice

yetibob #718298 27/10/20 02:55 AM
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
I can get to to work..occasionally. Best shot seems to be if all players end the game and then try using the session menu to add them.
It's weird though. Frequenty when they attempt to join my game they join some random other persons game.
Also I have had random other people join my game even though I have it set to friends only, I assume they are randomly landing in my game incorrectly the same way.

yetibob #719129 27/10/20 05:40 PM
Weekends seem worse than weekdays. I have the save game, GF has to receive invite, or find my lobby in Multiplayer. Usually it takes many tries before she can finally see the lobby I create, and recreate, etc. Last night, I started by creating a lobby with her login, which I can immediately see, no problem, consistently. However it took 2 or 3 tries before she could see my lobby so she could log in and load save.
Saturday night took nearly an hour to get her logged in to our game, and that seemed by random chance.

The problem persists that if she accepts an invite when she can't see my lobby, then she loads into someone else's game.

Now I just keep creating new lobbies until she can see me, then all works perfectly. Note: she has to exit Multiplayer also if she can't see the lobby. If you're already looking at the lobbies in Multiplayer, and a new lobby gets created, your screen will not refresh from our experience. You must go out to the Main Menu, then go into Multiplayer again.

yetibob #723921 31/10/20 01:09 PM
yetibob Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I found the white whale, a stadia player who actually can play coop. I basically interrogated the poor guy trying to figure out what magic combination he has employed to make it work, but it doesn't seem like there's anything special.
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?...02959732033&ref=m_notif&refid=48

iBowfish #723926 31/10/20 01:13 PM
yetibob Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
@iBowfish, when you say that you create a new lobby? The only way I know to do that is the quit and reload the save which is very time consuming but it sounds like you might know a quicker way.

Last edited by yetibob; 02/11/20 03:15 PM.
yetibob #726087 02/11/20 05:11 PM
The last few times we've played, it's been pretty quick and simple.
I start Stadia and load game and click on Multiplayer. (I've been using the mouse while doing this instead of controller because it seems easier) I create the lobby and set to 2 players, Invitation Only. I Launch the lobby then load our Save Game. Now is when I usually connect the controller via USB cable to my PC. I invite the GF from the Session menu. She accepts the invite, and then pops into the game.

One time we did this we were not in the same "Party" so that we couldn't see each other on the map and presumably wouldn't have shared XP. This was easily remedied by simply going to the Main Menu and loading the same save game I had previously loaded. Then all was well.

*When I mentioned before about creating a new lobby, I mean that I create a lobby then she clicks on Multiplayer to see if she sees me. If she didn't, then we both go back to the main menu. I then go to Multiplayer and again create a lobby, and she clicks on Multiplayer to see if she sees me. However we haven't had to do this the last few times*

yetibob #726299 02/11/20 08:42 PM
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
I had little trouble when playing stadia coop. We were in the same region. Is that the case in your situation?

yetibob #726978 03/11/20 03:48 PM
@fkhaller I'm not sure who you're asking. My gf and I are either in the same house, or ~50 miles away. Doesn't seem to change whether it works or not though.

yetibob #731057 09/11/20 03:19 PM
yetibob Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Ok folks, I have an update. We sat down and decided to try again this week and our first attempt failed per usual but I had a new idea based on all the things I've heard who have been able to play. After our failure:
  • We had our host exit to the main menu
  • The host then clicked the multiplayer option
  • We started a new game (accepting the default characters created
  • Once we were in the new game, the host loaded our saved game
  • It worked and we actually got to play together for the afternoon!

yetibob #731110 09/11/20 05:07 PM
I think getting into Multiplayer to begin with is the problem. We've never had a problem once an invitation was successfully accepted and we could see each other in the Multiplayer lobby.
We still have occassional glitches, but it seems to resolve after just trying a second or third time...usually

yetibob #731198 09/11/20 07:30 PM
yetibob Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Totally agree that getting into multiplayer at all is the issue, that's what's nice about these steps. You don't have to wait through loading your saved game multiple times. You can just spam new multiplayer lobbies until you finally get everyone into a lobby and _then_ load your saved game.

yetibob #734691 15/11/20 03:27 PM
yetibob Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I think they patched out this workaround so it doesn't work either... back to not being able to play at all again...
We get into multiplayer fine, we get into the new game and then when the host loads our saved game it just kicks everyone back to the main menu with an error message saying we were "kicked" from the game.

yetibob #734912 16/11/20 03:41 AM
Q
stranger
stranger
Q
My wife and I had the same issues today and nearly divorced over it. lol

yetibob #735624 17/11/20 05:23 PM
GF and I played Sunday night with no issues, at different locations. Haven't tried since then however.

Link Copied to Clipboard