Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sigi98
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by Riandor
Another thing I struggle with currently is that the whole character ABC approves or disapproves is flashed up and gone too quickly. Often you’re mid conversation and don’t realize immediately the effect of your choice and Mia who was happy with what.

I would like to include that info in the log and have a more visual/audio clue with how they are feeling about us when we I urinate conversation. Maybe I just haven’t had enough of a swing to witness what might already be there, but without digging into the character sheets, I don’t know what each character thinks of me currently.

I agree here. The relationship you have with the NPCs, and how your choices affect them, is written through the game and yet there is no current way to determine how you are viewed except by picking up clues in conversation. In some games, the relationship you have with your NPC companions triggers events later in the game. In BG and BG2, for just one example, you could have a Companion storm off if your relationship with them went sour because you picked the wrong choice.

I don't think a hard numerical meter would fit, but some easily-checked indication as to whether the relationship was good, neutral or bad would be nice. Something you could check in camp, perhaps.

If you right click on a companion --> examine, then you can see how the view you... (neutral, medium, high, very high and so on....)

Like I said, other than going into a menu to find it, there, at first glance, does not appear to be a way of seeing your status with someone when initiating chat. Maybe it's just the characters are all prickly anyway that the nuance is a little lost on me so far. I have only played the 30hrs, so it just might simply not be enough time to have noticed.

As for the Femshep example, yes that's correct, I just had it in mind that there were characters harder to romance than others, but maybe that wasn't based on sexual preferences, just general stance on relationships with PC (i.e. certain characters were just designed to be tougher to romance). Been a while since I played those games.

Anyway, totatlly agree Azarielle... totaly cutting Larian some slack here, it's EA and I am sure there will be some changes, but perhaps not necessarily in "preferences of the Origin characters", so it's fine for us all to express how we feel about the characters romantic or non romantic interactions with us.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Crazy idea.
That night if the party the player has to roll charisma to flirt and do the one night stand.

Lmao.

@OP Indeed, it's not romance if the Loviathar priest of pain isn't included frown

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Moirnelithe
@OP Indeed, it's not romance if the Loviathar priest of pain isn't included frown

Pfff, there is only one goddess of everything "horny", and that's Beshaba! Sune is a prude next to her whip work... wink

Last edited by WarBaby2; 23/10/20 02:07 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Eddiar
Crazy idea.
That night if the party the player has to roll charisma to flirt and do the one night stand.

Lmao.

Ha ha, I actually like this, as long as it's not a "hard fail" (no pun intended), depending on your standing. Witcher 3 had some funny moments (not die roll driven obviously), but what if you had a GOOD standing with your beau of choice but failed the charisma check, I would hate it if they went all sourpuss, but maybe something funny happened. Referencing the Witcher again, what if Shadowheart needs longer to get in the mood because of your die roll and falls asleep or drinks too much and vomits. (See Shani in W3 for details). It's funny or quirky vs Hard Win / Hard Fail. The character who technically likes you could be sheepish or want to ignore it the next day without the "your die roll just got you relegated to the bench until enough in game time has passed to try again".

Obviously if standing not on sure footing, then the Charisma roll takes on more meaning, i.e. going for broke and with the harder consequences that may or may not bring, depending on character. Or perhaps a character is straight, but you use your wily charms to come round to your way of thinking!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by robertthebard

I'm not inclined to run around saying "Hey, are you straight? Wanna hook up?". Of course, for my generation, asking a woman out on a date wasn't considered assault. I have actually asked a lesbian out on a date, and she politely told me that wasn't into men, but thanks anyway. Ironically, even asking "hey, are you into x" today can find you on the receiving end of a criminal complaint, because reasons? You see, once upon a time, if someone took an interest in someone else, they didn't have to have their lawyer talk to their lawyer to obtain a 57 page permission slip to ask them out. So when I see things like this in camp, it's just another day at the beach, instead of "Help, call the police, I've been assaulted".

Not remotely close to what I was thinking or saying in my opinion.
Laezel suddenly, out of the blue, gives me an angry zealous rant, when we never said anything before ... Does not fit her personality... and everyone else also gives their semi-jealous remarks when we had nothing going on.

As for the hints of sexual orientation, I personally do not outright propose sex to people around me without testing the waters. Not saying it should be as insanely complicated as in real life :P, but a bit of innuendo and flirting beforehand serves two purposes in the game design: a) player indicates to companions if the main character is somewhat open to men/women/or both and b) simulates a form of flirting leading up to...

Moreover, the flirting/banter beforehand can hint about if a companion wants only sex or also relationship/friendship. But, currently, we are far from that level. Just the above would be a needed improvement.

EDIT : I think it is visible that the scene in question was rushed for Early Access and is a work-in-progress to be fixed.

Last edited by Baraz; 23/10/20 05:12 PM.
addict
addict

Oh ! I did not kill him : I should have invited him to the party !

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Riandor
Crazy idea.

Lmao.

Ha ha, I actually like this, as long as it's not a "hard fail" (no pun intended), depending on your standing. Witcher 3 had some funny moments (not die roll driven obviously), but what if you had a GOOD standing with your beau of choice but failed the charisma check, I would hate it if they went all sourpuss, but maybe something funny happened. Referencing the Witcher again, what if Shadowheart needs longer to get in the mood because of your die roll and falls asleep or drinks too much and vomits. (See Shani in W3 for details). It's funny or quirky vs Hard Win / Hard Fail. The character who technically likes you could be sheepish or want to ignore it the next day without the "your die roll just got you relegated to the bench until enough in game time has passed to try again".

Obviously if standing not on sure footing, then the Charisma roll takes on more meaning, i.e. going for broke and with the harder consequences that may or may not bring, depending on character. Or perhaps a character is straight, but you use your wily charms to come round to your way of thinking!

Yep! Noodles are straight too until they get wet 😏😏😏😏

addict
addict
Crazy idea.

Lmao.

And the proverbial Constitution roll ...

( For those new at D&D : it is a classical for DMs to ask the character(s) to do a Constitution roll to determine how long they can last in sexual activity before falling asleep or other more shallow notions. It is dumb and more common for younger DMs. :P)

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Baraz

( For those new at D&D : it is a classical for DMs to ask the character(s) to do a Constitution roll to determine how long they can last in sexual activity before falling asleep or other more shallow notions. It is dumb and more common for younger DMs. :P)

Don't forget to roll for disease and for players of female characters to roll for pregnancy.

Gods, there were some terrible terrible GMs back in the day. there probably still are, come to that, but I doubt many descend to the crass and immature level that we saw in the early days. Of course, all this was accompanied by calls of, "why don't we see more girls playing?".

No, to be more accurate it would have been, "why don't we see more chicks playing."

enthusiast
enthusiast

Don't forget to roll for disease and for players of female characters to roll for pregnancy.

Gods, there were some terrible terrible GMs back in the day. there probably still are, come to that, but I doubt many descend to the crass and immature level that we saw in the early days. Of course, all this was accompanied by calls of, "why don't we see more girls playing?".

No, to be more accurate it would have been, "why don't we see more chicks playing."

Google "Book of Erotic Fantasy"... you're welcome. laugh

Last edited by WarBaby2; 23/10/20 05:31 PM.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
A previous GM had that book. How we laughed.

Just a shame it came too late for B.A.D.D., because it would have blown their minds. Schnoebelen railed against the 1e Monster Manual showing a succubus, he would have had a coronary with BoEF.

Last edited by Sadurian; 23/10/20 05:41 PM.

Oh ! I did not kill him : I should have invited him to the party !

He and a few rats that haven't died in crossfire are the sole survivors of my visits to the goblin camp.

I have to give it to Astarion - killing goblins is a strangely satisfying job.
That priest is a legend though!

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I could see introducing fixed orientations for the characters later on. But with five NPCs, I can see why they didn't want to do it now. I mean, I recall people were really upset when Dragon Age: Origins came out and there was only a SSM male romance option...and it was Zevran.

Since we only have five companions right now - and only two women - eliminating playersexuality would cut down on romance options considerably. But if we go up to 8-12 companions eventually, having a mixture of gay/bi/straight companion romance options makes sense.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
The problem there is that the NPCs the developers decide are of one orientation might not be the ones that the players choose for their PCs.

The problem there is that the NPCs the developers decide are of one orientation might not be the ones that the players choose for their PCs.

I agree, I couldn't really understand the fuss about it until I've met Dorian, eversince I've been a "whatever floats your boat" advocate 😉

Since they are writing the romance and most of the voice acting would be the same anyway I don't really see why not.

Just meta knowing it's there won't break your game in any way (maybe make it a bit less obvious for the more sensitive among us and everybody wins).

enthusiast
enthusiast

Errr, I dunno about other 'chicks' experiences in the 'early' days of D&D, but I've been exposed to it when I was hella young, and all I could do was watch my cousin and his friends play it, asked them many times if I could join and all I got for an answer was:

1) 'We don't play with girls.'

2) 'It's only boys game, your brain can't comprehend it.'

So all I was doing was watching them play and reading the player handbook and imagining what class/race I'd pick if I was ever allowed to join them (what obviously never happened).

So... yes, you can still wonder why more chicks don't play it. wink

addict
addict

One could just make certain characters harder to woo if same sex rather than completely one way or the other. Thus keep options open but not make everyone instantly available. :hihi:

journeyman
journeyman
As an aside, the screenshot provided on page 7 does not actually showcase official BG2 content.

It's from an NPC mod (Saerileth), which is, ironically, regarded poorly for its bad writing and romance.

Last edited by Leuenherz; 23/10/20 07:27 PM.
N
N
Originally Posted by Nicottia

Errr, I dunno about other 'chicks' experiences in the 'early' days of D&D, but I've been exposed to it when I was hella young, and all I could do was watch my cousin and his friends play it, asked them many times if I could join and all I got for an answer was:

1) 'We don't play with girls.'

2) 'It's only boys game, your brain can't comprehend it.'

So all I was doing was watching them play and reading the player handbook and imagining what class/race I'd pick if I was ever allowed to join them (what obviously never happened).

So... yes, you can still wonder why more chicks don't play it. wink
i saw your post and felt real bad - im sorry that you had to deal with that nicottia during your dnd career. the hobby has come a far way since some of those earlier days, but unfortunately there are still some of those dated behaviors/mannerisms present in the community (and society at large unfortunately) which is just sad. i hope that you eventually got to play with a good group - i would say that i was probly fortunate to not come across such dnd players/dms in my own experience (im also a dude so likely couldnt speak as well as you could on the topic), but that type of behavior wouldnt fly at a table i was at and it really doesnt have any place in the community.

i would fall back and say that if it works and everyone is comfortable in your group to roleplay some of those mature elements quoted then all the power to your dm and players, but it is important to set that standard before you start a campaign.

frankly, they missed out playing with you nicottia as every campaign ive played with ladies as part of the party has been better for the experience

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard