addict
OP Offline
addict
[Linked Image]

sources

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...l3qdH_eKI0I_zM01Me0q_2q5Dg/viewanalytics

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=712680&page=1

-----------------------------------------------------------------

More than a third of players rated it with the WORST possible rating.

One thing that I hate on most non faitfhful D&D adaptaions is the hp bloat. On DDO, I have a epic level warlock but play on epic levels where every mob require dozens of EB to die is so boring. I like kill & die fast. The unique thing worse than HP bloat is cooldowns.

"But missing is not fun"

Says who? Also, this mindset assumes that everyone is playing as a human fighter like an jrpg. On the stream that I watched before deciding to buy the game, most people was asking for warlock over and over and having to hit an enemy 20 times with eldritch blast is not fun or engaging. Is more easy to just nerf enemy AC on the beginning and give a "non increased hit chance" option. Do you know what eldritch blast is? IS like a force magical heavy crossbow. It needs to be deadly!!! I can get a high level priest of Lolth surviving dozen of shots from it. But low level goblins? Common low level spiders?

If Larian believes that bullet sponge enemies are fun, why not give the OPTION to play with P&P values or not?

addict
addict
It was an issue in OS2, to the point where there were multiple mods to "fix" it.

And they do it again. It's like they don't learn for some...reason. HP bloat was one of the biggest complains of OS2.

apprentice
apprentice
Only boss characters should Be 'bullet spondges" normal goblins should be quite fragile on dps to feel D&D goblins now it feels fighting Orcs on steroids. dosen't feel godly.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by AranSIRE
Only boss characters should Be 'bullet spondges" normal goblins should be quite fragile on dps to feel D&D goblins now it feels fighting Orcs on steroids. dosen't feel godly.

Bosses that are hard cuz they have a lot of defenses and interesting spells, good AC, like firkraag are much better than soaking bosses

Originally Posted by UnderworldHades
It was an issue in OS2, to the point where there were multiple mods to "fix" it.

And they do it again. It's like they don't learn for some...reason. HP bloat was one of the biggest complains of OS2.

And ... Was NEVER a issue on BG franchise.

An clay golem has 50 hp on BG2:SoA. Liches? 90 hp.

apprentice
apprentice
I fought today an goblin army on a massive battle goblins about 30 combatants few allies that are mostly useless. At lv 3 goblin archers that have 20 HP goblin shock troopers that have 50 two Giant spiders HP45 and an Ogre 60 hp and 2 spell casting shamans HP 35 and one Boss character That had about 50 hpAnd 4 goblin explosives that deal just Minor AoE at 20 HP Is this Ven a fair encounters by Amy design standard?

apprentice
apprentice
And your attacks deal mostly 1d10 \ 2d8 dmg. And few AoE barrels on field.

addict
OP Offline
addict
And your attacks deal mostly 1d10 \ 2d8 dmg. And few AoE barrels on field.

But almost never misses...

I fought today an goblin army on a massive battle goblins about 30 combatants few allies that are mostly useless. At lv 3 goblin archers that have 20 HP goblin shock troopers that have 50 two Giant spiders HP45 and an Ogre 60 hp and 2 spell casting shamans HP 35 and one Boss character That had about 50 hpAnd 4 goblin explosives that deal just Minor AoE at 20 HP Is this Ven a fair encounters by Amy design standard?

I had that fight too. Took hours...

And since I had't a rest before the battle, I had to rest and waste all resources in a single encounter...

its ok... just add more explosive barrels to deal with the bloat. Balance resolved!

Last edited by pill0ws; 24/10/20 01:42 AM.
old hand
old hand
To me it looks like it is to address the miss miss miss issue that gamers on another side will complain about it because it's a common complaint in TB games.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
To me it looks like it is to address the miss miss miss issue that gamers on another side will complain about it because it's a common complaint in TB games.

Most likely yes. Nobody suggested any other solution, except "it's not in the rules so change it".

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
New results are ready 111 interviews

https://docdro.id/ZTA1llB

addict
OP Offline
addict

And ... Instead of enemy armor deflecting crossbow shots, we have now enemies that at low level can sustain dozens of crossbow shots.

Vincke could give hidden +5 bonus to hit after you miss and the same bonus to the enemy. That way, if you have 50% chance to hit, you will NEVER miss 3 times in a roll. If you have 5%, after a couple of misses, you will gonna hit.

And asi've said, it RUINS spells, not only offensive spells but also spells like sleep which are life saving on earlier BG1 levels. And completely worthless on BG3.

Originally Posted by pill0ws

its ok... just add more explosive barrels to deal with the bloat. Balance resolved!

The point of D&D is to play with powerful heoric guys, not gimmicky stuff.

Last edited by SorcererVictor; 24/10/20 02:16 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
These piddly damage dealing spells, and a save for half damage no less, aren't good in an environment with no HP bloat or damaging surface mayhem. Now, they are are a waste of an action and a precious resource. They were designed in the way they were to work within a certain environment which makes then less of a waste of time. That environment no longer exists in BG III.

I agree it makes the game unplayable and its not following the rule set the game is supposedly designed for.. so why say its D&D 5 edition if its not even following the rules..

vel Offline
I too hate the hp bloat.

And elevation advantage and overuse of surfaces, throwables...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by UnderworldHades

This is my biggest fear.

That Larian are too set in their ways how things "are done" and can only do things one way. Missing 5 times in a row in NWN: EE still feels better than chipping away at 2000 armor in Divinity.

They are all about systems and player agency, to the point where they can no longer see what's too much. How to make the game world feel real and immersive.. they should take notes from old Bioware and Obsidian and their D&D games. They didn't need to remove misses from combat or add cartoony shoving and jumping or food healing.

Last edited by 1varangian; 24/10/20 07:26 AM.
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...lin_hpac_bloat_discussion_some_research/

Also, why create a new thread when you can just carry on the discussion in the original one? Multiplying small thread doesn't help the discussion, its just make people repeat the same argument over and over.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
D
D
They have to nerf surfaces and firebolt creating fire even on a miss. Otherwise if they had less HP, you really would just want to burn everything always.

I feel like they have to make adjustable settings:
- Increased HP on/off
- Lowered AC on/off
- Other debated aspects that could just be toggled

There are clearly a lot of people who want things to play a specific way (more like 5e) and a lot of people who don't want to miss a bunch, but not necessarily wanting a strictly easier game. This seems exactly the game where players should be given a lot of control over how things work. Of course it's a nightmare to balance everything if everything can be adjusted, but let's say there are certain presets for the most popular settings and they test that each of those are enjoyable. Then, players can adjust it further to their liking

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by denhonator

I feel like they have to make adjustable settings:
- Increased HP on/off
- Lowered AC on/off
- Other debated aspects that could just be toggled

If you start putting a toggle for every single feature in your system iit will quickly turn into a swamp of core design.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman

As long as you miss one 80% hitchance after the other, there is an issue with that.
I have the feeling my chars hit more often, when the chance is 20% than 80%. But in total they hit much less than the hit chances would imply, as like the displayed chance is just wrong. That feels so weird.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard